1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-100 locking up

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by SAKO22, Sep 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SAKO22

SAKO22 TS Member

My son has a bt-100 that he is shooting.The gun was bought used but has not been shot much at all.It has a problem of not wanting to unlock to breakdown sometimes after it has been fired.The top lever wont move and it you have to work it preety hard to get it to move to get it broke down.The gun still locks up really tight and the top lever is all the way to the right.I would like to know whats causing this and what the fix is.All info is greatly appreciated.Thanks joel courtney

2. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

More tham likely your shells(hull) are sticking in the camber. What kind are they. Steel based reloads and cheap shells did that in mine.---Matt

3. Ed Y

Ed Y TS Supporters TS Supporters

I had that problem, years ago, with a bt-99. A small wafer of steel that actuated the ejector had seperated from the rod. It wandered around inside the gun, until it lodged in a spot where it caused just such a problem. I'd remove the stock and clean out the insides, really well, just in case.

Ed Yanchok

4. SAKO22

SAKO22 TS Member

I dont think it is the shells.He is shooting sts hulls with 1 oz loads loaded in a ponsness warren press.he also shoots factory sts loads.They are not sticking in the chamber.

5. Ahab

Ahab Well-Known Member

Sounds like the firing pin is not retracting.

Is the a mark on the hulls ... from the primer to the rim when finally opened?

6. Scoutman 06

Scoutman 06 Member

If the top lever is difficult to move to the right, have you checked to see if the locking block is getting wedged too tight into the mating goove in the monobloc? The groove may need to be cleaned out & a little Triflow dabbed on. John

7. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Your statement, "The top lever wont move and it you have to work it preety hard " indicates there could be something wrong with the top lever. Check to see if the top lever dog is broken.

8. maka

maka Member

Just possibility, the previous owner might have gotten caught shooting in a rain storm causing the top lever spring to rust. Try spraying a very little oil around the bottom of the top lever.

9. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

I'd think a quick call to Doug or Phillip would be a prudent call.

10. SAKO22

SAKO22 TS Member

Who is doug and phillip that you are referring to and how do i reach them.I am new to this forum and do not know who you are talking about.Thanks,Joel

11. grntitan

The Phillip would be at the link i gave you above, Phillip's Gunsmithing. The Doug would be Doug Braker i believe but i do not have any contact info for him.----Matt

12. grntitan

Another good possibility might be Art's in MO the link is above. He is the man when rebuilding BT's. He might help as well.---Matt

13. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

take the stock off, lubricate the rusted parts of the lever mechanism and let us know

14. SAKO22

SAKO22 TS Member

Thanks for the information and tips on what to look for.I will make some calls and check the internals of the gun when i get home from work today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.