1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BT-100 cocking problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by jrecks, Feb 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jrecks

jrecks TS Member

I have a BT-100 and it has a cocking problem. 1 or 2 times out of 50 the hammer does stay cocked after opening and closing the gun. I am getting tired of the "failures to fire" and have lost confidence in my shooting. I tried a new hammer spring and adjusted the trigger pull on the drop out trigger with no real success. I swapped drop out triggers with a friend and that seemed to solve the problem but he had no problem with my trigger. This was a short experiment and probably not conclusive in isolating the trigger group. Anyone out there have a similar experience or know of a cure?

John

2. phirel

phirel TS Member

How about the cocking rod? With some guns it can be lengthened a little bit through bending.

Pat Ireland

3. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Just curious....did you alter the gun to only exract the empties. If this is the case, you may not be getting the gun opened far enough. I see this often, because the "tell-tale" sign that you've opened the gun enough, was the tripping of the ejector. Without the trip, on occassion, you may open the gun just far enough to remove the empty.

Doug Braker

4. jrecks

jrecks TS Member

Doug: I have the ejector rod in there to throw the empty out. I thought perhaps I was not not opening the action enough. I have had a couple BT-99's and never had a problem even once. I have deliberately made sure the action is opened all the way and still had the problem. Just an additional thought, I don't think the gun has more than 10,000 rounds through it and I've kept everthing reasonably well lubricated so there should not be any excessive wear on the innards.

Thanks for the response.

John

5. dgarnier

dgarnier TS Member

I have the same problem on 1 of my 100's turned out the Hammer Lifter Rotator had worn down. I put put a tack weld on and it worked pretty well till the replacement showed

6. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Here's a simple way to check if the gun comes up short on cocking....

Remove the buttstock. With the gun fully assembled,(be sure it is not loaded!!!), dry fire the gun. Now, you should be able the see part of the sear and the hammer notch, as you begun to open the gun.

As the gun nears fully opened, the hammer notch will approach the sear tip. Once the tip of the aear engages with the notch, you should have a liitle more room to open the gun.

What you're looking for is some over-travel of the hammer. There should be approx .025" (just a visiual guess), with the gun fully opened. With the gun fully opened, you can take a screwdriver and pry the hammer back a liitle more.

If the space between the bottom of the sear tip and the step of the notch are very close, and you cannot pry the hammer back any further, the problem lies with the trigger assembly not the cocking bar or any component with the bar.

If the space is very close and you CAN pry the hammer back more, then either a new cocking bar will need to be fitted, or the current one needs a dap of weld and refitted.

The BT-99 has a lever for recocking the gun, whereas the BT-100 uses a cocking bar.

Doug Braker

7. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is possible that the problem is too much lube. Take a cue tip and some rubbing alcohol and clean the hammer notch and sear. Let them dry and then give the gun a try. HMB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.