1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BS or not

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by leadhead358, Aug 8, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. leadhead358

leadhead358 Member

I have a shooting pal that swears by using (car) break cleaner to clean his barrels with after shooting sporting clays. He says its the best cleaner and cheapest. After cleaning he uses a light coat of oil. Is he full of BS or not? I have not seen him clean his firearms, but he says he uses it on all shotguns, rifles and handguns.

2. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

Carb or brake cleaner is a great way to clean out internals and bores but it does leave the parts super clean and ready to rust. His method is often voiced on this forum.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

3. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

It would certainly remove plastic fouling, but would also be hell on stock finish. I don't think it would do much for bullet jacket fouling in rifles and pistols. It would also remove all oils, so oiling afterwards is a good idea. Personally, for less expensive cleaner for my shotguns, I use Ed's Red.

4. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I couldn't agree more with the others - while this method is common once in a great while, when doing the annual or semi-annual complete cleaning of the metal parts, stock and forearm removed and not affected, it would be over-kill on a "every 100 sporties" basis in my opinion. I don't do a super clean of the bores and receiver internals but maybe twice a year......Bob Dodd

5. timb99

timb99 Well-Known Member

Works great. Cheaper than "Gun Scrubber" or similar products. Absoltely must re-lube with Rem Oil or someother protective coating, as it strips all the oils away.

As noted above, it doesn't do much for lead or copper residue, but oils, grease, and plastic residue, nothign better.

I like it to spray the heck out of my daughter's 1100 trigger group when it gets dirty, then lightly re-lube.

DO NOT, let it get on your stock. Same is true of Ed's Red...don't get it on your stock.

6. ec90t

ec90t Guest

I've found that the vineger based glass cleaners do one heck of a good job removing debris and grime without harming the finish on wood. I have a bronze bore brush for clearing the barrel, with the help of my cordless drill. I then wipe my guns down with Inhibitor V80. My guns stay nice and in working condition.

ec90t

7. 5spd

5spd TS Member

I have been using brake cleaner since I was a grasshopper for deep cleaning, I use it along with the standard gun cleaners. Its a must is to re-oil/re-lube when done. Make sure your wood is not sprayed with it if possible.

8. Haskins Bill

Haskins Bill TS Member

Gunzilla and Copperzilla are two products that many of my friends use. Top Duck Products LLC. www.topduckproducts.com . Check it out and no I am not a salesman just a shooter. I jsut bought a bottle of the Copperzilla, I want to use some in the very nasty bore of a CMP Model of 1917 to see I can get some of the crud out of it. It was obviously a ceremony rifle for a lot of years. Bill

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.