1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BryceNZ and/or Hooligan would

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by duh, Oct 8, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duh

duh TS Member

BryceNZ and/or Hooligan would either of you (or anyone else) be able to provide any information about what shotgun and ammunition that Russell Mark was using at the:

"AAP Sports News (Australia)
    01-19-2004
    Shoot: Mark counting lucky fingers after shotgun explodes

By Jim Morton

BRISBANE, Jan 19 AAP - Olympic gold medalist Russell Mark is counting his lucky stars, and fingers, after his $30,000 shotgun exploded in his hands at the national shooting championships.

Competing on the final day of the titles at Cecil Park in Sydney yesterday, Mark was extremely fortunate to escape injury after a piece of metal was blown out the side of his barrel.

It destroyed his Italian-made firearm but not his chances of winning the overall title in the three-stage competition which has strengthened his hold on a fifth Olympic berth."

In an interview in Atlanta in July 2000 reported on www.pilkguns.com., he stated "I use a Beretta SO5. They've also given me one of their new model guns, it's just hit the world market, called the Model DT10. I'll probably use that after the Olympic Games I think. It's a little bit too late to change now. I'm sponsored by an American company also with ammunition, Winchester."

Was he shooting Winchester factory ammunition, what shotgun was he using and was the damage described or photographed?

Thank you, i be duh

2. BryceNZ

BryceNZ TS Member

duh,

To be honest I have never heard anything about that. I googled and came up with the same brief bit of text that you did.

If it happened it would seem like a very good example of keeping mouths shut and letting it slip quietly away !

A look at Russell Mark's own site indicated that in 2000 he retired an old SO5 and started using a new one that he was fitted up for at the factory.

The report stated $30,000 gun which is in SO5 territory so that makes sense.

I don't know for an absolute fact but I believe that I recall reading on his site a while back that he had Briley in Australia do work on his barrels ??

Ammo - no idea ??

I am just a neighbor, Hooligan is in Aussie and probably knows a lot better than I do.

Bryce

3. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hi Guys, My understanding is that Russell accepted full responsibility for the accident. I have it on reasonably good authority that he dropped a choke tube on the ground, and put it back in his gun without checking for damage...a small 'ding' in the mouth of the tube was the culprit. I stand to be corrected. Cheers-Graham.

4. BryceNZ

BryceNZ TS Member

Thanks for the input Graham,

Perhaps that is why it wasn't more widely talked about, if it was just a choke tube blown out.

A full scale barrel explosion would have been bigger news I am sure.

I read just today in a 2003 article on his site that he uses Briley backbored barrels, possibly with thin wall chokes, easily dented if dropped.

I recall hearing about a Kemen with factory installed thin walls shooting a choke out.

Bryce

5. BigM-Perazzi

BigM-Perazzi Well-Known Member

I have my doubts about dented tubes creating destructive pressures.

6. BryceNZ

BryceNZ TS Member

BigM,

<i>I think this thread might be assuming something that most likely isn't correct.</i>

The assumption was that the report talking about a piece of metal being blown out the side of the barrel meant a full scale blow up like the CG discussed to death recently.

K1W1 has commented that it was just a choke tube blown out due to a dent, presumably taking a chunk of the tin barrel wall with it, I understand probably Briley thin walls.

7. kiwiG

kiwiG Member

Hey Guys, Just thought I'd mention that my info' is unconfirmed...just what I heard from someone who knows the Southern Hemisphere ISSF circuit well, and whom I trust not to have deliberately BS'ed me...that's not to say that someone hasn't misinformed him though. Cheers-Graham.

8. Hooligan

Hooligan Member

To the best of my knowledge the gun Russell "blew up" was a Beretta SO5. There was some barrel damage at the muzzle - not the chamber end. Russell stated at the time the incident was caused by inserting a choke which was apparently damaged but unnoticed. The choke tube had been dropped. The media reports may have been somewhat embellished.

I have no idea regarding ammunition sponsor at the particular event however
    doubt it would have been Winchester. You will have to ask Russell.

I am familiar with the Kemen story however I am unable to confirm any details.
    I shoot a Kemen KM4 with Kemen Factory Briley chokes. The bbl wall thickness
    at the choke is quite thin and the metal is generally thought to be soft.
    I have had no problems to date however almost never change chokes except to clean.

Briley Australia is an operation licenced to Mialls Gunshop in Melbourne about 2 miles from my home. They have enjoyed a good reputation for a number of years.
    I have had a number of dealing with Briley (USA) and for a number of reasons,
    not the least being cost, choose to send my work to the US.

Russell is a nice guy and has a web site at http://www.russellmark.com.au/ and
    I am sure if you have any questions he will be more than happy to oblige.

Barry

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.