1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brwng. XT adj. comb...POI, multiple uses, yes /no?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by StansCustoms, Mar 23, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. StansCustoms

StansCustoms Well-Known Member

While I'm impatiently waiting for my new to me XT trap to arrive...I would like to ask what other Browning XT owners POI is.

According to Browning most of their guns shoot 3" high except for trap guns, which shoot 6" high. Give or take 3", on either one!! No kidding that's quote from a tech at the Arnold Missouri, service department!

For those that may have tried to use the XT for other purposes other than trap...I'm "really" wondering how flat an XT can be made to shoot with the factory adjustable comb.

I bought the gun for a BT-99 backup..and occasional doubles gun.

But with all the shooting programs going on today...I was hoping to determine if it could be used for anything else successfully. I shoot doubles very rarely...normally just too expensive for my budget, and will likely shoot my BT-99 till it turns to dust. I guess the only reason I bought the XT is that I just feel naked without an O/U to back me up...

I won't know till I get it...but thought some of you guys may have found the XT to be useful for other shooting purposes in addition to trap....dove hunting,sporting clays, anything?

...and again approximately what is your POI, or how flat does your XT shoot with the adj. comb all the way down?

Thanks..Stan

2. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

Don't listen to "techs" anywhere. Take your XT out and and shoot it. I have the same guns - XT and BT 99 with adjustable comb on both. With the comb all the way down both of them a pretty flat shooters.

3. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

Ask 30 people the same question and you may get 30 different answers.

A great gun for the money and good overall IMO.

I agree with Yak., just shoot it. It won't take long to see where it shoots, also you might want to pattern it first.

Regards....Gerald

4. StansCustoms

Thanks Yaki..

That's Brownings position on their guns (not the tech).... the tech was quite knowledgeable and shoots trap as well. He also said "naturally, all guns can be fitted to hit higher/lower".

I'm just trying to get an idea of what to expect since it'll be a week before I get mine to make my own evaluation....especially since Browning's position is so vague.

I haven't had and adjusable comb on a Browning yet, although I have 4 of them. 28 ga. Field, 12ga. and 28ga. Skeet..and Monte Carlo stocked Bt-99, all recent acquisitions (I've been away from shotgun sports for a while)

I'm hoping the XT will shoot as low as the skeet 12 gauge with the comb all the way down...but don't have much to go on, as I always had high ribbed Monte Carlo stocked trappers years ago.

Have you used yours for anything other than trap?

Thanks...Stan...

5. chemist

chemist Member

I must be your twin- had a BT99, put on a graco adj LOP and recoil device, then adj comb, then an add on rib. Shot it well but wanted a new gun. Bought a used XT unsingle combo and had a gracoil put on as I have a bad shoulder. Gun fit better and I eventually shot 1-2 birds better than BT. Started doubles and kill the first bird and am learning to hit the second with more consistency. Cannot go back and shoot the BT effectively and have since sold it to my friends son who shoots 95's. I shoot better when I shoot more often - the unsingle is set at about 70/30 the O/U ???? I do not change the comb or gracoil setting or rib height. I have recently sent it to Arts in MIssouri for a rebuild and stock refinish as it was used. I can't wait until it returns . Shoot it and have fun. I am a C + shooter but that is not due to the gun or ammo. I day dream a lot at my age.

Rich K - chemist

6. StansCustoms

I agree Gerald...when I get the gun I'll do all the above.

In the mean time I was trying to get those 30 different opinions...LOL.

I'm anxious to have some input/information from other XT owners ...while I eagerly wait. Watched pot never boils, if you know what I mean ..etc. etc.

Thanks...Stan

7. StansCustoms

Rich..

I was lucky on my BT-99 with a Monte Carlo stock. All I had to do to it was install a pad adjuster....to drop the pad down into my shoulder pocket.

Then, I made the mistake of picking up a XT at a gun shop...felt too good not to try and find a nice used one.

AND I wanted to try and "adjustable comb", instead of a Monte Carlo which have always worked well for me.....hopefully for more versatility in other areas. The tall rib is a plus on anything for me...I have a loong neck.

Best regards..Stan

8. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Because of the way my face is shaped all Citori's shoot high for me. My XT however shot pretty flat. Shot my best sporting clays score ever with it.

9. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I don't think there's a good answer for your question... I bought a used XT combo set (top single) from a guy that said it was the flattest shooting trap gun that he had ever seen. I thought that would be OK for me because I was shooting a Remington 1100 at the time that was pretty consistent at about a 50/50 pattern. When I patterned the single barrel on my XT, almost all of the shot was above my point of aim. I didn't count pellets, but would estimate that it was at least 90/10 if not higher for me. The bottom barrel of the O/U was even higher. It took me a while and plenty of low scores to learn how to shoot the high POI, but after about 5000 targets I was shooting it better than I had ever shot the 1100. Maybe I'm the exception, but I think it's more likely that POI is an extremely personal thing.

--Dan

10. StansCustoms

Thanks guys...most of these guns shoot high for me too....I just have to compensate for it.

Maybe I need to drop the POI part...because it gets too confusing.

According to Browning...all Browning guns other than trap are compared with beads in line with the target resting on the top of the front bead....

However, Trap gun is compared with beads stacked with the target resting on the top bead.

This is in reference to their position that all their guns shoot high 3", except for the trap guns that shoot 6" high...

Disclaimer #1 is..Give or take 3" for all of the above...using the above sight picture references.

Another disclaimer was that the Maxus, the 725 and one other new gun shot flat...I just don't remember what the third one was.

Having said all that...the cheek weld can change the sight picture and poi drastically from one person to another....just like adjusting the comb up or down will change the poi... individual cheek welds cannot be used as a reference point.

So some referenced sight plane like those mentioned above must be used to make sense of the question....or to answer it.

Naturally it's hard to make adjustments after a point if a cheek weld or something else makes it too difficult for anything but trap. (as in, shoots waaay high/low for whatever reaon)

I imagine I should just ask if anyone uses a trap gun with an adjustable comb to shoot anything else...if so what?

Stan...

11. StansCustoms

Wire guy..

That sounds good...sporting clays huh?

Mayebe I can use it for something other than trap...thanks for the input..

Stan...

12. schockstrap

schockstrap Active Member

I shoot my XT for skeet and sporting clays as well. I mostly shoot trap, but I don't feel any disadvantage with the higher POI in other games -- I am so familiar with the gun after 10s of thousands of targets that I's probably feel lost shooting targets with a lower POI.

I wouldn't use it for hunting unless I was desperate -- it's just too heavy to carry in the field, even if I took out the weight I've added. I'd rather carry my 870, 1100, or Auto-5.

--Dan

13. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

It was more popular with the sporting clays shooters when it first came out than with trapshooters. I shot it for sporting clays for about 5 years.

14. BobKatz

BobKatz Member

When I stack the beads mine shoots 70/30.

Katz

15. Martinpicker

Martinpicker Active Member

My XT does not have an adjustable comb, just a monte carlo stock. With my chubby cheeks it shoots 90/10 at 13 yards and 80/20 at 30 yards. Love my gun. You made a good buy and may lay aside your 99! Jack

16. dls guide

dls guide Member

Unless you float a target a lot, you will likely shoot over a lot of sporting clays targets with your trap XT. Most target setters try to make you shoot high or behind targets. I shoot all the shotgun games, but specialize in sporting clays. The gun I choose to shoot is a high ribbed trap gun, but set up to shoot 50/50. There are damn few people that shoot sporting clays well, that shoot guns higher than 60/40. I love watching trap shooters shoot falling teal or long battues. But then trap shooters laugh at me when I shoot handicaps from the fence. Daryl.

17. MDMike

MDMike Well-Known Member

I have an XT with a fixed comb that for me shoots about 50/50. I have to cover or swing through a rising bird. As soon as I get done rebuilding my Perazzi, the XT is going to get an adjustable comb and possibly a Gracoil with an adjustable pad. But the adjustable comb is a must for me. For the life of me I cannot stack the beads as she is.

18. StansCustoms

Daryl..

What did you do to set up your trap gun to shoot 50/50..

I agree that high shooting guns don't usually work well with sporting clays.

I'm hoping that the high rib on the XT...will shoot low enough (50/50 or so) when I drop the comb and use a beads in line sight plane....like a field gun.

I'm also hoping with the comb up ..it will sight (stacked 8)and hit high like a trap gun...??

Stan...

19. StansCustoms

Mdmike..

Your XT shoots 50/50 with a fixed comb. I assume this is a non Monte Carlo XT ..correct? Probably with beads in line ..not a figure 8 stack...yes/no?

If so then an XT with a adjustable comb should be able to match that in a low position.....I think?

I know I can stack the beads by raising an adjustable comb...and should shoot high...6" or so I'm thinking.

Thanks ..Stan

20. dls guide

dls guide Member

Stan, My backup gun (a K-32) was custom stocked and my main gun (a Blaser super trap) has an adjustable rib and comb. Depending on how your XT shoots and you need to pattern it, to see where it shoots. If it shoots too high, 2 things can be done rather cheaply. One, take some wood off your comb to be in line with the rib better. A good friend did this to his XT combo and is shooting much better. And 2, add some rib height with a stick on rib. The high ribs let you shoot with you head up and makes it harder to lift your head to look at the target break. I have shot almost every gun out there and other that the XT's inertia trigger and short bottom firing pin, the Brownings are built like tanks. For the money, they are great guns. Good luck and have fun. Daryl.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.