1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Brused face

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by etook, Jun 23, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. etook

etook TS Member

I just got done shooting over 800 targets this weekend and my cheek is killing me. I am going to have Tom Larken put a soft pad on my comb this winter, But does anyone have a short term solution to this problem?

2. dhwbailey

dhwbailey Member

My guess is the gun doesn't fit. Raise the comb so it is tight to your face when the gun goes off. You are lining up the target then the comb whaps you when you shoot.

3. John Thompson

John Thompson TS Member

After 45 years, if I lift my head, I get a sore cheek. A soft top is good but it treats the symptom, not the disease. Keep your head down. The biggest reason for lifting the head is a failure to properly see the target. That said, be sure the gun fits.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Soft combs only mask poor gun fit or mistakes. You more than likely have a pitch issue.

JMHO,

Tron

5. spritc

spritc Active Member

I noticed a young man awhile back at our local club that was really pushing his face into the comb to obtain his beloved sight picture. After watching him continue to bruise his face, I mentioned he might want to move his comb to the right a little bit so he wasn't having to scruntch his face so much and guess what, it solved his problem. If you have an adjustable comb this might work, if not it still could be the comb or as Tron said it may be a pitch issue. Only you stock fitter will know for sure.

Best of luck,
    Steve

6. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

too much cast-off will do the same thing

7. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

To much cast-on darn sure will...

8. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Pitch spacwe should solve the problem

9. Fritzboy

Fritzboy TS Member

Sorry, Pitch Spacer.

10. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

As was said above, too much or too little cheek pressure on the comb can cause the "cheek slap" you're experiencing. So can raising your cheek off the comb during swings, a loose gun mount when using a gun with a field stock, turning your head very far toward the stock to align your eye with the rib, tilting or leaning your head forward to place your cheek on the comb and mounting your gun too low on your shoulder. That about covers possible errors in your shooting form that can cause cheek slap.

There are also ill fitting stock dimensions that could be involved. One is too little pitch on the stock, meaning that the bottom of the butt, the toe, sticks out too far.

The other dimensions that may not fit you and can be involved in shooting form errors are the drop at the comb, the drop at the heel and the cast (if any) on your stock.

You would be well advised to visit a good stock fitter, one who would correct any flaws he notices in your shooting form and then change the stock dimensions necessary to allow you to use a correct form.

Rollin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.