1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

bruised cheek

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by acss, Feb 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acss

acss Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

well-its time for neb. highschool trapshooting meets! every year i see young diehard shooters with raw / black&blue cheeks. i always look to see what loads are being shot and most of the time, yes--3 dr. now after i give my 5 minute speech on types of loads and then try to point out walmart probably wont have them-2 3/4 dr 8's 1 oz 1200 ft /sec-- then --- what do i do, to explain to these parents - PROPER GUNFIT??? give me some simple guide lines ?

i gonna work real hard this year, at not telling some kids mom they got the wrong gun. it never comes out right, when i say it!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

wally riebesell

2. JBrooks

JBrooks TS Member

It's not the shell. Tell them that a properly fitted gun won't bruise their cheek.

3. acss

i wud agree- give me in simple lehmans terms- what is proper- now mind you- these are parents who probably arent shooters and see it as a gun is a gun!

4. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

There are three things that are necessary to reduce the pain. If you can get them to do 2 out of 3 you will still be O.K.

1. A Remington 1100 that weighs 9+ lbs, 20 guage is best.

2. Ammo, Wal-Mart has 20 guage, 7/8 oz #8s.

3. Gunfit, build up the comb with mole skin so it is parallel to guns barrel. HMB

5. squirrelkiller

squirrelkiller TS Member

A lot of young shooters always hear that they need to "snow man" the beads. The kid hunkers down on the gun to get the snow man and gets the living heck pounded out of them. If a kid is getting a sore cheek, ask them if they are trying to snow or figure 8 the beads. Let them shoot a couple with space between and they will not get kicked. Might not hit the bird, but they can learn their new technique. It has worked for me.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Get a copy of rollins book and just have it sitting around when the parents are there. Some times reading the hows and whys gets through better. Sometimes you just cant reach them. 20 gauge isnt always the answer, nor do most "trap" shooters want to shoot 20g. Mind you I have been shooting 7/8oz loads for practice and fun shooting works great. I take full advantage of pellet count for ATA shoots and shoot 1 1/8oz. Its tough trying to get people to understand.
    You may want to get a group deal on some fittings. Not major stock work or new guns. Just someone who can tell you weather the gun is rideing up into there face due to a pitch issue or LOP issue. I see many shooters with monte carlo stocks and the point where the stock drops off to the recoil pad is in the middle of their cheak!! pitch can be altered by just installing a few fender washers between the pad and stock, mole skin for comb adjustments, or if they still make them wrapidcombs. As far as sights go. get them to keep an eye on the target. I was struggling in the beginning, after a a while one of the better shooters at my club came to me. "let me see that gun" He then taped a folded business card to the reciever end of my barrel. completly blocking the barrel and sights. "look at the target not your sights". it was almost instant change. For a long time he was telling me that....now that he showed my. It is not easy. once I got my 870 homemade custom stock done I could shoot the heave wally world shells all day. Pitch was a big issue for me. It didnt take much either. I then used some HD fiber board to make a spacer.

So maybe you should order rollins book, some pitch spacers, thinner/thicker recoil pads...quickest lop change and some mole skin or wrapidcombs. Then start the the process. Also ask the parents if they play golf or hockey or tennis and see if any of their equipment is fitted? Also try to find stocks for popular guns. I found 1100 and a winchester 1300 stock. found some used comb kits and had a carpentry student install. If a youth comes along with one of these I will let them use it.

7. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

gunfit and recoil pads!
    Joe

8. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Wally,

Sore cheeks have several causes:

A comb that is too high or too low - too high with too much cheek pressure required to look along the barrel. A comb that is too low requires the shooter to riase his/her cheek off the comb. Both can cause cheek slap.

The butt of the gun at the wrong angle to the rib can cause cheek slap and is probably the most common cause. There is incorrect "pitch" on the stock. This wrong angle of the butt has the bottom "toe" of the butt or recoil pad sticking out too far and describes inadequate pitch. Recutting the stock or adding tapered spacers is the correction.

Shooting with too much weight on the back foot can also cause cheek slap. So can other ill-fitting stock dimensons in addition to comb height. Poorly fitting dimensions or a poor gun mount can require the cheek to make contact with the comb with the forward porting of the cheekbone.

There are more pain receptors in the forward portion near the nose than there are farther back - it is more tender.

Rollin

9. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Rule #1 on TS. Learn who to listen to.

10. acss

rollin- in referance to butt angle- most kids start out with a rem.870express-
    w/ a field stock or similar gun- lots of drop and yes hunkering down to aim!!
    if i tried the shim(washer) between the pad and stock wud it go in top or bottom? ps - i will order your book!

11. gasman03

gasman03 Member

I have an 11 yr old son that we took to a shoot last year in SD. This was his first shoot where they were shooting 100 singles and 100 handi. This kid was so pumped up to shoot and see what it was like he did not sleep the night before. After those 200 birds he was so black and blue and swollen on his right cheek it was not funny. He was ready to shoot more but as a Dad I said no more. It was my fault for not taking the time to fit the gun to him.

Corey

12. acss

so- corey- tell e the details- what gun? what did you do to correct?

13. gasman03

gasman03 Member

He was shooting a BT-99 that we bought for his older brother who now shoots an XT. The BT-99 came with an adj comb but we went to Greg Hissem and had a RAD 2 put on. His brother was 13 when he stopped shooting this gun. He is much taller and skinner than my other son. From what I could tell when I told him to stack the beads he would hold his face off the stock so you can guess what happened every time he pulled the trigger. After shorting the LOP and raising the comb he never had a problem. We have since bought him an 1100 classic and Greg Hissem is putting an adj comb and a Hart LOP on this. The BT is a little to long in the barrel and heavy for him so that is why we went with the 1100. Also he can try the doubles if he wants.

Corey

14. gun fitter

gun fitter TS Member

Rule # 2 less shot means less recoil.

15. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Yes, do get Rollin's book. You'll find, though, that eliminating cheek slap isn't always simple. He discusses the importance of correct stance (which requires proper training,) as well as gun fit, gun choice and ammo. A problem with any or all could be contributing. We want the kids to have fun, but if we put them first we see that we'll somehow need to discuss gun choice, and learning proper set-up from a coach, with that mom. Phil E

16. Mr Newbius©

Mr Newbius© TS Member

Most of these kids or parents do not own the gun. Most of these kids or parents are not paying for the ammunition. Most of these kids or parents are not paying for targets.

So why do you think they will want to do anything different when it really aint costing them a dang thing and to do something different will either cost them or cost them more than what they are spending already?

Let em hurt!

17. acss

mr newbius- regardless of who is paying what?- you have to think about the love of shooting!! when i grew up - you just lived with what you were given and eventually you just "got it" and of those of us who did- are still shooting or have come back to it! today that may be true as well but who wants to standby and watch a kid struggle or even a new adult shooter- immmediate gratification and parents who put less time into their kids seems to be common place.-- back to my original comment-- if you really love the sport - you will naturally help someone even if there is ignorance involved!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

18. acss

tcherry- the benefits kids get from shooting in the husker hischool conferance shoot( if that is what you are refering to-1900) is nothing more than great!! i know we make it complicated more than we shud - but seeing a kid struggle with some pain , hurts me as well? a number of parents do not understand the sport and differances in guns/ammo/chokes and POI. heck-for that matter some long time shooters dont either! i agree kickeeze is a very good product and we have some kids using them. i see all the time , from walmart the 4 pak (100) of 3drm lds at a very decent px, purchased by parents who have no idea what they are really buying. you give a kid those shells, with a pump action, severe drop of comb and a gun too long,with he or she hunkering down one eyed.how can you not get bruised? 1 oz 23/4 drm lds with a gun fitted with proper padding like kickeeze will go a long ways- go down the line and see who is shooting that type of load? not many!!! thanks and i will surf their site

19. acss

shootlow- i agree , but that it easier said then done- with busy kids schedules, and yes$$- i was in lincoln ne a few weeks ago at a shoot and here was a 6' 180# jr boy(young man) getting the crap knocked out his of face, by a browning xt trapgun. he had a bandaid on the right cheek. his single mother talked to me about how my duaghter was not in pain and 2/3 the size! how cud that be?i didnt have the heart to tell her i spent over $1000 getting the gun ftted with a sorttouch. she said she supported him last year by buying this "expensive" gun. i told her to have him shoot lighter loads and mount the gun higher. how do you tell someone like her to spend MORE & more $? recoil system -+$500-she just about crooked when i told her that!!!

20. acss

thanks

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

how to handle a bruised cheek

trapshooter with bruised cheek

what do trap shooters put on their cheek