1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bruised Cheek

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by vanman, Apr 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. vanman

vanman TS Member

Good Day to all,

My son keeps bruising his cheek or it will open a little and bleed. Any help on this or a suggestion?

vanman

2. vanman

vanman TS Member

Hi jamie,

He is shooting 2 3/4 loads. I will look into the cheek pad. At first I thought he might be to light on the gun hold and letting the gun slap him around!

thanks,

vanman

3. Mac V

Mac V Guest

Tell him to keep his head glued to the stock. If he relazes it even a little, the upward motion from the recoil will close the gap between the stock and his face RAPIDLY and cause the bruising.

Mike

4. vanman

vanman TS Member

Hi Jim,

Thanks for giving some areas to look at. I thought about going to one of the local gun makers ( Dave Tate ) and having the fit looked at.

He shoots the Beneli sport II, 2 3/4 dram. but he is a light frame 5'8".

vanman

5. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

If he's shooting a gun with an adjustable stock, you can very simply adjust so that does NOT happen.

Pretty simple to do: comb front-to-back is right-to-left away from the face, and down more in front that back.

WW

6. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

Most cheek-slap problems are caused by incorrect pitch (usually not enuf').

John C. Saubak

7. phirel

phirel TS Member

It is a stock fit problem. As Whiz suggested, it might be relatively easy to fix, or it might not be quite so easy. I struggled with the problem for nearly 30 years. Finally, with my PFS and a lot of work I have my problem 90% cured. I would start with adding a little pitch to the stock.

Pat Ireland

8. vanman

vanman TS Member

Hey Mac V,

I thought that may be the problem and if he is raising his head it is ever so slightly and I am missing it.

whiz white,

The stock is not adjustable and it will be something to look at.

Thanks to all

Van

9. whiz white

whiz white Strong Supporter of Trapshooting Banned

Hey - check today's thread on comb adjustments.

As you look at the picture shown:

Line DCB is what the comb should look like pictured from the left side of the stock, and

Line EBF is what the comb should look like pictured looking down at the stock. These lines show excessive adjustments, but the idea is sound.

These are for a RH shooter, by the way.

If you get to reading that thread, there are some concerns about POI and all that. Just remember that POI is increased as comb height is increased, but that was not you initial concern.

WW

10. vanman

vanman TS Member

John & Pat,

You suggest pitch! Would that be a drop or raise ( which ever needed ) in the stock or moving the stock into or away from the face? or both. I'm no expert and having an understanding of what you guys are talking about helps.

Van

11. berettagold53954

berettagold53954 TS Member

my wife had same problem warwick guncase sells some lube that you put on cheek worked great and cheap

12. southpark

southpark TS Member

I've had this problem forever.

I got a bunch of pitch spacers and I tried them one way, then the other, then doubled and trippled up on them.

Still felt like Mike Tyson whacking me in the jaw.

Phil Kiner's video camera showed my face was still on the comb and -- wham!

Finally found a buddy who's gun didn't hurt me.

The best I can tell is that due to the structure of my cheek and jaw bones I was forced to really roll my face over the comb and get it way under my cheek bone in order to sight down the barrel.

On my friend's gun he has a really really large amount of cast off (much more than is possible with an adjustable comb) which allows me to just push it up against the side of my face with only some flesh bunching up over the top of the comb instead of bone.

I'll be getting that set up (also with a lot of toe out) built for me too along with a McCarthy Stock-Lock which works better than my beloved RADII to relieve stress on the shoulder.

Just another thing to think about though it seems with kids they frequently anticipate the recoil and lift their face off the comb.

Good luck and I feel your boy's pain.

13. ffwildcat

ffwildcat TS Member

it is most likely a pitch problem (as already stated).

you can buy a spacer and have it shaped like a wedge, thicker at the top than the bottom and it needs to be inserted on the butt pad with the thick end at the top of the heel.

the required adjustment is the bottom of the heel needs to go in and the top of the heel needs to come out.

the wedge spacer will do the job.

note - this will also affect his POI.

if you're unsure have either kevin atkinson make a spacer or contact dale tate. i'd recommend kevin atkinson for the job. unless you think he needs a complete fitting then dale is the man.

a shortcut is to buy a moleskin pad from the drug store (the stick on kind) and place that on the comb. remove his pad and place a couple of thicknesses of cardboard from a shell box in the top section of the heel and replace the pad - you can trim the cardboard to shape with a razor blade after the pad is back on.

14. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

I agree that you need to get him fitted.....but why would anyone give a kid a Benelli to shoot? They are very heavy recoiling guns....that's the main reason you seldom see one used in any type of clay target sport.....even fitted, it may still kick the snot out of him.

Ken Rucker

15. vanman

vanman TS Member

ffwildcat,

thanks on the correct name ( Dale ) and not Dave and to all with the helpful tips THANK YOU. I will have him fitted and see where that takes him. The gun came with a set of shims so thats the way to start or look into something like the Jones butt as mentioned.

Van

16. ljutic73

ljutic73 Well-Known Member

my tournement guns started beatin' on my face after I lost a bunch of weight....nad I havent been able to afford adjustable combs for them plus I dond't know of anybody in Canada who does them. I may have to order hardware from Dennis DeVault and do it my own self.

17. OldPshtr

OldPshtr Member

Soft top adjustable comb is great for old folks with old skin.
    Also - Bodyglide - bikers use to keep important parts from chaffing.
    Works great on cheek. This regardless of gun or load.

Doyal

18. Old Cowboy

Old Cowboy Active Member

vanman,

I guess you didn't understand what we meant by the term "pitch"?, otnot explained it pretty well.

Essentially, it's the angle of the face of the buttpad in relation to the bore. If the face of the pad is 90* to the bore-line, that's zero pitch. If it's an acute angle (less than 90*) that's positive pitch, an obtuse angle (more than 90*) that's negative pitch. Most guns come with a little positive pitch but IME-----not enuf'. For instance, I just got a new Beretta 687, first time to the trap club last week it hammered my cheekbone and the toe of the pad dug into my chest. When I got home I added 3/8" of hardware store spacers under the heel of the pad, went out and shot six rounds of trap last Sunday and the kick had magically disappeared---I've done the same thing to domesticate those "hard-kickin" Ruger Red Labels, turns a lion into a pussy-cat.
    Now, it depends on the build of the shooter, and there's such a thing as too much positive pitch, but generally speaking IMO most guns leave the factory with too little.

John C. Saubak

19. Rollin Oswald

Rollin Oswald Active Member

Van,

As was stated above, too little pitch is one of the primary causes of "cheek slap", which is bothering your son.

The correctness of the pitch on a stock is easy to check. The entire recoil pad, top to bottom, should make simultaneous contact with your son's shoulder as he mounts his gun. If the pointed, bottom, toe makes contact before the upper heel, the stock has too little pitch for his size and/or shape.

To correct the pitch, tapered spacers can be used if your son can tolerate the additional stock length spacers provide or the stock can be cut the the correct pitch and flat spacers can be added as he grows and needs a longer stock.

One of the benefits of a stock adjuster/pad adjuster is the ability to rotate the pad to move the toe toward the armpit. That often improves comfort and creates a more secure gun mount.

There are other causes of cheek slap but they get too involved to explain here.

Rollin

20. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

Vanman, I'd suggest you get Rollin's book. It won't only help you answer these questions today, it'll be a reference you'll go back to in the future. It's a great book. In it he describes how as you pull the gun straight back, the nerves in your shoulder will tell you if the recoil pad's touching the whole shoulder at once, or if it's touching at the top or bottom first. As the pad touches the shoulder, you want the pad's top to be about level with the top of the shoulder. The Jones Adjuster helps you get this part right, as well as allowing you to turn the pad to match your shoulder's "pocket." Once the gun's touched the shoulder the mount's done, you never slide it up or down. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stock fitting bruised cheek