1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Bruised Cheek Help

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Aintlost, Apr 30, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Aintlost

Aintlost Member

I've been shooting the same gun for 3 years;however this year when I shoot the gun is bruisng my cheek. I've lowered the comb thing that I might have added a few pounds over the past winters.
    If this is a pitch problem which direction should I shim the butt pad, and how much.

2. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Try the shim (or a couple of flat washers) under the top screw of the recoil pad. The shim should be thicker at the top. Bill Malcolm

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Place a washer on the top screw of the butt pad between the pad and the stock. Add washers as needed to stop the bruising. HMB

4. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

If your recoil pad has a sharp point on the toe, use a belt sander and round it out so the gun does not pivot up and into your face. Advice above is correct, spacers at the top of the recoil pad. You might need as much as 3/8 " but start with 1/8 and work up to a comfort level. If you go to much you will have a little trouble with high rising targets.

Bob

5. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Please explain, It seems to me that putting a washer at the top would increase the recoil via increasing the angle of recoil. I would think that shortening the toe(? top of the recoil pad) would direct the recoil down. Just an amateur comment.

6. nubs

nubs TS Member

I had the same problem. I tried changing things on the gun and this made other things worse. For me it ended up that I was standing up a little to straight and by just a little more weight on the front foot did wonders.

7. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

lowering the comb was your problem-

You are likely now lifting your head to peek

There is a gap between the wood and your cheek

Acts as a sledge hammer closing the gap- the gun recoils up into your face with the gap increasing the movement upwards

Regards from Iowa

Gene

PS- you gained a lot of weight- although unusual- it might be a LOP shortening that you need and not a comb adjustment

8. Bob Schultz

Bob Schultz Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Dave P,

The idea is to have the pad flat on your shoulder pocket. If the toe (bottom) of the stock pokes you in the chest, it becomes a pivot point for the gun to swivel up into your face. Thin folks seldom have a problem with down pitch as their chests and shoulders do not slope slightly outward. Big men, or those with a barrel chest or big pectoral muscles are particularly prone to guns which hit them in the face. (I'm one...'cause I'm fat!)Using a Gooey pad or Rocker pad is a big help but ultimately getting the down pitch correct will solve a lot of fit issues, the most common being the face slap. I agree also that lowering the pad may have exacerbated the problem. LOP could be affected by weight gain but it's seldom enough over one season to make a major change. (Unless you REALLY hit the groceries hard...!)

My guns generally have a lot of down pitch. You can measure this by putting a small rubber band on the barrel 28 inches from the breech. Stand the gun flat on the floor in a doorway with the rib as close to the jamb as you can get without tipping the gun off the pad. Usually the rib near the breech will touch the door and the barrel will angle away from the jamb a bit. Measure the distance from the jamb at the rubber band and you will have a pretty accurate measurement of the down pitch. Most trap guns will be between 1 and 2 inches. Mine measure about 3 1/2 inches. You can change this angle using tapered black spacers under the pad or eventually trim the stock to fit properly.

Aside from the negative effect of recoil, pitch can make moving the gun vertically ether easier or more difficult. It's very subtle at this level but worth noting.

Lastly, when doing these experiments...TAKE NOTES! You want to be able to duplicate your previous results exactly once you find things that work. You need to be able to come home and analise what you did and whether it improved things or not. Making some simple notes really helps you determine where you have been and where you are going with gun fit.

Hope this helps a bit. Bob Schultz

9. Ray Collins

Ray Collins Active Member

Bob is correct. For a comprehensive explanation of the problem as well as a thorough treatise on stock fitting, purchase a copy of Rollin Oswald's The Stock Fitter's Bible. It takes a little effort but the results worth it.

Doc

10. birdogs

birdogs TS Member

Dave P,

A simple explanation is that there is a space between the top of the pad and the top of the shoulder in people who experience face slap. When the gun recoils, there is no resistance at the top so it takes the path of least resistance. This means that the muzzlen will recoil upward causing face slap. If you fill in that void between the top of the pad and the top of the shoulder, the butt will transfer the recoil more evenly to the shoulder and the muzzle will not jump so easily.

11. joe kuhn

joe kuhn Furry Lives Matter TS Supporters

Gun is pointing to the left. Slashes indicate pitch. Good explanations above about why.

Bad pitch: gun is here(\)

Good pitch: gun is here(/)

12. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Joe, just as a matter of discussion, your bad pitch is my good pitch and your good pitch causes cheek slap for me. I think body type comes into play when discussing effects of pitch. My sporting gun had quite a bit of pitch and was a cheek slapper,had the stock cut to take the pitch out and get it close to no pitch and all slap is gone.

On my trap gun I used a reverse pitch spacer, thicker at the bottom, to take the pitch out and made the gun much more comfortable to shoot.

13. joe kuhn

Wow. Didn't know that. Explains why there can be so much confusion. Do you lean forward much when you shoot? Pictures?

14. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Joe, I do have a fairly aggressive stance, lean forward some. Don't have a pic of the trap gun but here is a pic of the sporting before I had the stock cut, I was fitting various width negative spacers until the slap went away, another benefit was reduced felt recoil. Sorry for the poor pic, if you look close you can see the original recoil pad and the 1/2" reverse pitch spacer I was testing with,I then had the stock cut and new recoil pad fitted, the gun is very comfortable to shoot for me now.

John

johnr_2008_300811.jpg

15. joe kuhn

Ah, that helps a lot. If I put a straight edge on your rib, the stock falls away from that line quite a bit. Another straight edge on your butt pad shows you actually have some 'good' pitch.

Good pitch: gun is here pointing to left(/)

Seems to me you had way to much pitch and are pulling back some to what works for you. Nice job!

16. joe kuhn

I can adjust my diagram to be clearer:

Good pitch: ==========/

The double line is the rib line and the forward slash is the pitch at the back of the butt pad. This probably shows too much pitch, but it was made to demonstrate the concept not make an actual suggestion in terms of degrees.

17. joe kuhn

John,

The black line is where you started from and the red line at the butt pad is where you're at now. Notice that both lines at the butt pad are less than 90 degrees from the rib line. That's what is important here. Anybody got a protractor?

joekuhn_2008_03031.jpg

18. joe kuhn

The rib line isn't right either. We should be using the bore line, but since your rib is flat we can get by using it. The bore line is correct because recoil comes straight back along that line.

Hap warned in another thread about too much pitch and it appears you have a good example of that. Thanks for sharing your picture.

19. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Looking at your gun I would do two things...invest in a good adjustable buttplate/recoil pad and drop it(pad lower than stock) so your neck can straighten up and get a CheekEaz to pad the comb ...you would be good to go for a long time...pretty gun by the way!

20. JohnR

JohnR Active Member

Joe, good illustration with the lines showing what I was adjusting. I have found I need very little pitch for me to be comfortable with the gun. I guess my point is don't automatically assume you need more pitch, I think a lot of shooters could actually use less pitch.

Calvin, thanks, yes it is a beautiful gun, hard to believe that chunk of wood was on a factory gun. I actually have had the stock cut and a new Kickeze sporting recoil pad fitted since the picture was taken. The gun was a little long for me so a lot of the pitch was taken out and the length of pull set at 14 5/8. The gun is now a joy to shoot, I shoot low gun on a lot of the clay stations and the gun comes up very naturally now.

John

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

stock fitting bruised cheek