1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browniong Citori Question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by perga1, Dec 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Are there any Browning experts on the site that know for sure if a XT unsingle will fit a standard Citori receiver? The Citori in question was bought new at the Grand this year. JRM

2. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

The Citori shotguns are CNC machined, and held to very close tolerances, but all barrels are hand fitted. They were never meant to interchange except on multiple barrel sets. Further, the rib on the XT Unsingle is higher than that on the standard target grade Citori. You may have to make a comb change as well. It might fit, but there are no guarantees.

3. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

perga1, by the time you buy a barrel and pay someone to fit it, deal with the height difference, would it really be worth it!!! Buy a combo, and sell yours!! Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

4. perga1

perga1 Active Member

Thanks for the responses they are appreciated. I asked this question for an 89 years young friend who already has a Citori and wants to make it a combo. We are aware of the rib differences between a standard Citori and the unsingle XT. Thanks again. Jim

5. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

I tried to do the exact same thing - turn a Citori into an-unsingle combo. It was impossible to find an unsingle barrel. Moreover, several people mentioned that there was a high probability that any new barrel I found wouldn't fit the old receiver.

So I bought a compete Citori unsingle combo, and whadaya know - the new unsingle barrel would NOT fit the old receiver. So I sold the old Citori at a reasonable price and now I have the combo I wanted.

I think, in the last analysis, what I did is the only way to get it dome. It's for sure that Browning won't sell an unsingle barrel separately.

BTW, the rib adjustment mechanism on the unsingle barrel is like no other I've seen. Also, the rib on the double barrel is not adjustable.

Ted K.

6. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I have tried my un-single barrel on different Citioris and some fit and some didn't. The rib height looks the same but as stated above an adjustable comb would be in order. I never let anyone shoot my barrel on the receivers that fit because I wasn't sure that because it fit it was still safe or wise to shoot without a gunsmith checking it out.

Bill

7. perga1

perga1 Active Member

I looked at my young (89) friends Citori today and it happens to be an XT. I guess the problem now will be to find a 32" unsingle barrel. I told him his best bet wuld be to sell his O/U and buy a combo but he likes the gun he has and he has shot some really good scores with it so parting would be difficult for him. JRM

8. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Perga1 -

Both my guns were Citori XT's. One barrel wouldn't fit the other receiver. And you can't buy a Citori unsingle barrel separately. You're on a wild goose chase.

What you could do is buy a new Citori unsingle combo, and hope the unsingle barrel fits your gun. If so, you would have left over a Citori O/U you could sell as brand new. If not, you just switch the stock from the old gun to the new receiver, and you have an Citori unsingle combo that should fit you exactly like the old gun. And you have the old gun which you can sell. I got $1600 for my old gun after all the switching around.

Ted K.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.