1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT wont close

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Chadshot, Sep 15, 2013.

1. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Shooting today and lever stays to right and won't close. If I take barrel off it will work.
    Any ideas ?

2. RobertT

RobertT Well-Known Member

Possibly to much grease in the locking bolt bottom rear of receiver. This needs to be very lightly greased.

3. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Quote: "Shooting today and lever stays to right and won't close. If I take barrel off it will work. Any ideas ?"

How do you go about getting the barrels off if the gun is open and won't close?

Easystreet

4. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Can get gun close to fulling close but lever stays right and won't lock.

5. Easystreet

Remove the buttstock and clean out the receiver and trigger mechanism. It sounds like you have something (foreign object) stuck in there. Use mineral spirits (aka paint thinner) or kerosene as a solvent to clean with. Then lightly lubricate and reassemble the gun.

Easystreet

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

be careful and don't force anything..you bend the extension finger that protrudes from the rear of the forend iron..it does sound like a pellet fell out and is wedged under something

7. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

Amazing what a piece of shot will do to gum up an O/U. It may be flattened out by now but it is likely there.

regards

8. mike b.

mike b. Member

Agree with pellet / ? lodged somewhere accessible. If it was internally, lever wouldn't return to normal w/barrel removed.

9. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

A friend of mine had this happen. I took it to the grand for browning to look at. He got a new gun. Some of the recievers got too hard and Brittle durning hardening. A ear on the reciever broke off where the pin that holds the hammers goes through on the right side. Guy from browning asked no questions when I walked into pick the gun up he said we have a problem and we are giving you a new gun. Had to take it home my buddy called them they paid for and sent U P S out to get the gun. 2 weeks later he got his new gun. Great costumer service to say the least.
    So if you can't find a piece of shot you might look for this.

10. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

Got home found a smashed pellet behind top extractor, thanks

11. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have seen this a few times. I reload and every time it is a piece of shot except when part of the extractor broke off and fell down into the receiver.

12. Charlie Becknell

Charlie Becknell Well-Known Member

I have seen this a few times. I reload and every time it is a piece of shot except when part of the extractor broke off and fell down into the receiver.

13. Easystreet

Chadshot,

Thanks for reporting back with what the problem was.

Easystreet

14. 7mag

7mag Well-Known Member

Glad it was a easy fix.

15. Chadshot

Chadshot Member

It took about 1 hour to see it though. When looking at the extractor in closed position it only stuck out about width of paper, didn't even notice right away.

16. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

When I shot Papers occasionally I got a flake of brass under the ejector, causing the same problem.

HM

17. Bruce Em

Bruce Em Member

An open crimp will leak shot as you load, same with pin holes in the center due to short shell length or misadjusted loader

regards