1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

Browning XT... When is it worn out?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by kmecjohnson, Aug 22, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kmecjohnson

kmecjohnson TS Member

I have an XS and I just bought my son a used XT. I know the longer you shoot them, the more the release wears towards the center, but I don't know how much is too much. What happens to an XT that the lever is completely centered? Can something be done at this point to basically "make new" again?

Sorry if this has been discussed before...

Thanks, KJ
  2. miketmx

miketmx Active Member

You can't wear a Browning out with normal careful use but the locking bolt can wear to the point that it needs replacement. A new Top lever spring at the same time is standard procedure. It is a fine gun.
  3. ntgr8

ntgr8 Member

All depends. If you want a new gun then these are worn beyond repair. If you like em and would like to keep shooting them most any good gunsmith can make like new again.
  4. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Member

Doug Braker - all you need to know!

K
  5. MDMike

MDMike TS Member

I have a friend that says after about 125,000-150,000 rounds they need to be rebuilt. He also says he has had his Special Sporting Clays rebuilt 3 times. I don't doubt it.
  6. Mr. Flinch

Mr. Flinch Member

Close the action then remove the forearm. Place the receiver or stock in one hand and the barrel in the other hand. Try to twist the gun back and forth between your hands and check for any play or slack, If you don't feel slack then the hinge bolt fit is still good; if you feel slack then you should have the gun serviced. The locking bolt and (as miketmx said) top lever spring usually wear out first and will give you slack when the action is closed or tend to pop open when the gun is fired. Merely the top lever being centered doesn't necessarily mean worn out. A competent gunsmith can service a Browning. You don't have to send it to Browning and wait the rest of your life to get it back. LOL!

If your Browning has been properly cleaned and lubricated over time it will give you many years and many thousands of rounds of service before any of this will happen.

Mark
  7. darr

darr Active Member

If you can feel play in the barrel receiver fit have it tightened up.I have had 2 Brownings tightened up at Midwest Gunworks.Fairly cheap and good job.
  8. kmecjohnson

kmecjohnson TS Member

Thanks guys for all the useful information... Both of mine are very tight, just asking from a what/when if point. I live in St. Louis, so Midwest Gun Works and Browning are both near by...

Regards!
  9. Bluerock1

Bluerock1 Member

Send it to the Gun DR Doug Braker.

Bill Borman
  10. Duck

Duck Member

I'm sure all mentioned are good, I've only handled guns the GunDr (Doug Braker)
    has rebuilt and all I can say is Wow you'd swear it was new!. I mean aggravatingly tight, again!.
  11. Dave P

Dave P Active Member

I had a Brng. Citori Plus that would break open after each shot on either barrell. I sent it to Browning for rebuild which was a mistake. Time and cost are not a Browning quality but repair was fine.
  12. Redcobra

Redcobra Member

Damn thing 's broke. Need to buy a new gun. At least that's what I told my SO.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.