1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT VS SKB 885

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 43x, Aug 6, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 43x

43x TS Member

Well I have narrowed it down to these 2 guns. Anybody owned or shot either one of these guns ? If so pros and con's of each
    Thanks
    Don

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

i have owned several citoris and owned an skb combo set

nice guns-- the browning feels better and has more whistles

despite what others say- I also liked the SKB

regards from Iowa

Gene

3. 1Ljutic1

1Ljutic1 TS Member

I haven't owned an SKB in many years. But, I have owned numerous Brownings. I like them. Wouldn't go back to an SKB. But, thats just MY opinion. Steve

4. shadow

shadow Active Member

Have owned and shot several Brownings. Wouldnt swap my 85TSS for the lot of them.

5. lumper

lumper TS Member

I haven't owned either myself but while currently searching for a o/u I have looked at Browning, SKB and Berreta and have spoken with many of my shooting friends and the following order of prefarence to purchase is what I have come up with.

Beretta #1 because they just shoot and shoot and shoot.

SKB #2 because they shoot as well as Beretta since they fixed there past problems.

Browning #3 because they shoot well but tend to have spring breakage problems.

6. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I have an XT - love it. I also have a Broadway in the safe. Can't say anything about an SKB as I haven't shot one. My 2 cents.

7. TX-MX

TX-MX TS Member

If you were comparing the XT to the 85TSs, I would say there is no comparison - it's the SKB 85TSS hands down [we own both - the 85TSS is simply a better trap gun.]; don't know anything about the 885 though.

8. bladerunners

bladerunners TS Member

i shoot a xt for sporting clays and love it i have not shot the skb so i dont know anything about it but i know that you wont be desapointed with the browning. I have one of mine for sale if you would like pic just call 217 235 1743 thanks

9. bladerunners

bladerunners TS Member

i have got a xt for sale if you dont have one in mind yet. If you do want more info email me or call 217 235 1743 ask for jeff

10. missemucho

missemucho Member

I presently own an XT and have shot several 85 model SKB's at our club, including combos. The SKB's really are low recoil and appear to lock up like a bank vault. They come with quality hardware installed for the basic price (briley tubes, graco comb hardware, adjustable rib, etc). I think the XT is better looking even if the SKB has the upgrade wood (just my opinion). The SKB's at the club all appear to have a minor problem with firing pins dragging on the primer (though none have broken yet) and it's a given that if something goes wrong that required factory support you'll have the 85 up and running much faster.

I've never heard of an XT breaking a spring, and I can tell you we've got a BUNCH of them here. Also if you're a typical trap shooter, you'll want something "better" at some point in the future, and the XT will be worth more than the SKB and easier to sell.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one of them as trap guns.
    John

11. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Don,

Anything man made will break. This includes a $50,000 Perazzi SCO extra Gold Side plates down to a $1200.00 BT-99. SKB did have some early problems and they have been addressed and corrected and the SKB service is second to none. Also with the cross bolt lockup on the SKB it will not wear out with age. The Brownings are very good guns as well but one failing is the lockup. It will wear and having the lock replaced is not cheap. When I was shooting a Browning in my early career it did take me back to the 27 yard lind. It was also rebuilt three times before some one broke into my home and stole it. I'm an authorised SKB dealer and I will order in any Browning that my customers want. I believe in what I sell. I will not sell a piece of "junk"(some peoples synonym for SKB)to someone to make a buck. Most of my customers I see every weekend. Make up your own mind. Talk to those who shoot either SKB or Browning. Don't be swayed by someone who knew a shooter that knew a scorer that dated the sister of a friend who heard that SKB was a sub quality firearm. Make up your own mind. Be a leader not a follower. If I can help youcall me.

Mike Battista

12. 43x

43x TS Member

Thanks for all the responses. There where some really good points made. Especially about the update for the 885 which would run around $125 and also the resale of the SKB compared to the Browning.

On a side note......... a gun dealer told me today that in his opinion the XT was ever bit as good as a K 80. I guess that would be up for debate at a different time
    Thanks Again
    Don

13. 100after9

100after9 TS Member

No debate I love my XT it is like th everready bunny just keeps on shooting!!!!

14. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

I have owned both of the guns in question. There are things that I like about each one of them. I like both of them as far as shooting them. I sold the SKB for the XT because I like the wood on the XT better. I am kind of a show and shine type of guy. The Brownings seem to be a bit more fancy. There is one other thing I will through out at this subject "RESALE" It seems that the Brownings have that covered. All of this is mute if the gun does not fit right.

15. Loyac

Loyac Member

Don... The XT is an incredibly sturdy and well made gun. The only drawback would be its weight. The 32 incher is very heavy. As stated above, if you HAVE TO go with the SKB, find an 85TSS. John

16. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

If i could have found an XT unsingle combo for $2000, I would have went with it. But I did find an 85TSS unsingle combo for $2000 and I am very pleased with it.

For around the same price you could find a good Beretta 682X or a Citori Plus...both of which come highly recommended.

17. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Take the XT, I own an SKB 885 and these guns have a tendency for fractured forends, the wood is beautifull but prone to break, also, SKB┬┤s kick more than Brownings do, I had to do the forcing cones and a mercury recoil reducer.

Berettaman7

18. 43x

43x TS Member

Again thanks for all the replies. I bit the bullet and ordered the Browning XT.
    I heard from other owners that they didn't care for the factory hardware that came with the adjustable comb. I decided to get the monte carlo stock and will send it in to graco and have a adj comb installed

Thanks Again
    Don

19. Lither

Lither TS Member

Don't be a clown. Buy the browning.

20. revsublime

revsublime TS Member

for the price of the Browning...I got an SKB 85TSS combo with an Americase, to boot.

I dont mind being a clown.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning 885 gun
problems with skb 85tss combo sets
skb 85tss or citori xt

skb 885 review

skb model 885 shotgun
skb shotguns model 685 vs browning
skb shotguns vs browning

skb vs browning shotguns