1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT Trigger Question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 43x, Aug 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 43x

43x TS Member

The XT came into day. After putting the gun together I noticed this gun has, the best way to describe it a military type trigger ? There is .060 woth of slack to take up before you would call for PULL.
    Are all these guns made this way ? My BT-99 doesn't have any slack to take up, ?

Thanks for the feed back

Don

2. sidebyside

sidebyside TS Member

Don:

I had a XT which I sold it because it was too heavey with poor balance and..... . The trigger was not crisp as one would like. Brownings do not have quality trigger. your BT could be an exception.

3. 43x

43x TS Member

SXS, the BT-99 is 1978 vintage super clean gun. I bought this gun used, someone could have had a trigger job done but there is NO, I mean No creep, the trigger is smooth and breaks like glass.

The XT is a different story

4. C H S

C H S TS Member

The trigger on my 3 yr. old XT snaps like a glass rod...crisp with no creep or slop at all. Never been fiddled with except for an annual semi-cleaning. I can't believe I got the only good one they ever made.

Andy

5. goose2

goose2 Well-Known Member

You didn't. I have an xt and a bt99 both have great triggers. Wow how could I be so lucky to get 2 out of the 3 great triggers that Browning has sold.

6. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

30 dollar trigger job might be needed

some are better than others from the factory

regards from Iowa

Gene

7. Lkn4rocks

Lkn4rocks TS Member

43x ...... One thing to say from personal experience, from having one, is if you have "slack in the trigger to take up before you would call for PULL" you need to get a trigger job done soon because if you get into the habit of taking up trigger slack, soon enough you will be shooting the trap house or close to it, if you’re not careful.

8. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

The BT-99 has an entirely different trigger set up in it. The gun does not have to rely on the set up of the second shot.

Most dedicated sgl shots will has zero preplay,ie-90-T, TM1, Ljutic etc.

Browning puts in that little extra preplay to ensure the inertia system works properly for the second shot. Most of the preplay can be removed, with the undertanding on your part to keep the receiver's "guts" clean.

To remove all of the preplay is possible, but the smallst spec of dit behind the trigger will hold it up, preventing the inertia block from sliding under the second sear. So you'll need a little.

Doug

9. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

Does anyone have a name around Indianapolis for trigger work. My XT seems to fail to throw the firing pin once every 150 shells, but will work on the second pull. Makes for a very interesting shot.

10. ec90t

ec90t Guest

tsosin,

If you email me direct, I will provide you with a gunsmith that can do the work. He is a masterful gunsmith. He doesn't advertise, because he doesn't have to. The only condition is that you never post his name on this website or any others. He is a friend and I'd like to keep it that away.

ec90t

11. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I have the same experience as you do. My 99 is clean and crisp and my new XT has the slop you described in yours.I don't mind a little but this is unacceptable. Most all my shotguns and rifles have three lb pulls. Who does a decent trigger job on these?
    Dan

12. JES

JES Member

My husband has a BT100 he is not shooting, I would like to try it but need a release trigger for the gun. Any suggustions for who to get this from which trigger brand would work - Allem? Do you need to send the receiver or can the pull trigger be converted. Thanks for any help.

13. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Well-Known Member

jes,

Darrell Johnson @ Spears Gun Shop in Abbyville, Kansas. 629)200-3220. Better and cheaper than Allem's. Send him the receiver. You will have to decide between single or double release for your XT.

Jon Reitz

14. tsosin

tsosin TS Member

For a novice like me, what's the difference between an inertia vs mechanical trigger.

15. DOBER01

DOBER01 TS Member

Spears by far the best. Has one of my tigers now.Several friends recommended him and I love their release triggers.

16. hoser

hoser Member

I had Mike at Moneymaker do a trigger job on my son's XT and it came out perfect.

Crisp, predictable and always has been consistent. I think he charged $40.

17. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

O.K., who does a good conversion to mechnical and what do they charge. I am not a great fan of the inertia system but I really need a better trigger on my new XT.
    Thanks
    Dan

18. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Changing your triggers to a mechanical trigger will not make them feel any different than they are right now. The mechanical conversion is not a duplication of a mechanical trigger like you would find in a Krieghoff or Kolar. A true mechanical trigger is a completely different set up.

The Browning conversion has a modification that will only push the inertia block back from the first sear. Generally a small pin or tab is added to the sears to act like a "kicker" to bump the inertia block back.

The only true advantage that the conversion will give you is the ability to dry fire both bbl's. Of the "tens of thousands" of Brownings, Berettas, and Perazzis, with inertia systems, would you think that if the inertia system is a failure, that they would have stop producing it, yet they still do, even in the small gauges.

Just having your inertia trigger "tune up" (minimal preplay and crisp trigger)is all that's needed for a fine Browning trigger. The mechanical conversion will still permit misfires and second shots not setting up if the inside of the receiver is allowed to accomodate dirt.

Doug Braker

19. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I'm located in CA. I understand what you are saying GunDr and you're right, the inertia system is a good one but like everything it can have its problems also. In the last year and a half I have seen two Brownings that had their inertia blocks system malfunction. Basically it was the blocks themselves that were rough and wouldn't set the second bbl. A little stoning and patience solved the problem. Anyway, I still want to get the darn creep out even if I stay with the inertia system. Love the gun.
    Dan

20. GunDr

GunDr Well-Known Member

Dan,

And sometimes a brand new mechanical trigger gun needs to go back to the factory for a minor adjustment. After all, it IS a human fitting all these parts together, and trying to get them to work in harmony.

Most..about 70-80% of the preplay can be removed. Anyone saying they can remove it all is telling a "half-truth". It can be all removed, but will most definitely lead to a problem down he line with the connector(the part the inertia block sits on) not wanting to slide under the second sear. This is usually the fault a some debris, and not much of it, getting under the back of the trigger.

Joe,

Your problem "could be" hard to diagnos. 1).It could be not a very good sear/hammer connection, causng the sear to jump off the hammer notch. 2).The trigger pull could be too light on the second sear, with the recoil allowing it to jump off. 3). It could be you. The gun could be bouncing off your shoulder, back into your trigger finger. This would be very rare.

Taking care of any of the mechanical components shouldn't be a problem for any competent gunsmith. A tune up trigger can be crisp on the pull, with a trigger pull weight of at least 3-1/2 lbs. on the second shot. The main thing to watch for is any movement of that second sear during the first shot. Sometimes, during the first shot, the sear may slip from the hammer notch partially, leaving the next pull of the trigger very light....less than a pound.

If the issue "could be" you, a second trigger return spring can be added. The spring will not add to the pull weight (not noticeable anyway). This will give the trigger a little more reistance to a bouncing finger. I add this spring to many Citori's for shooters that tend to trap the trigger between shots.

Doug Braker

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning xt aftermarket trigger

browning xt mechanical triger

browning xt trap trigger

browning xt trigger work

browning xt trigger work gunsmith

reducing trigger pull on browning xt trap