1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT Trap question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by frbowers, Jun 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. frbowers

frbowers TS Member

I should be receiving an XT trap O/U soon and have heard about issues with their firing pin springs. How big a problem is this? Should I worry about replacing the springs on a relatively new gun, or wait for an annual service?

Thanks.

2. bill2

bill2 Member

frbowers,
    You have a Private Message(P.M.). Bill2

3. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

The XT is a great trap shotgun, and there are no "issues" with the factory springs. Like others have said, keep the firing pin cavities clean and you will be fine. The XT comes with a well-made stock wrench, and removing the stock is no big deal...neither is removing the firing pins if you have a modicum of ability.

I have actually done this clean-up between my first and second 100 at a large shoot...due to my former insistence on greasing the breechface, my lower firing pin cavity got gunked up.

bluedsteel

4. Jim Bradbury

Jim Bradbury Member

frbowers,
    I have at least and I do mean at least, 40,000 rounds through mine and it would not surprize me if the number was closer to 60,000 rounds and have not had any problems. I have only taken the stock off one time to clean up the inside and I was actually surprized at how clean it was. I do not think you need to worry too much.
    Jim Bradbury

5. knutershooter

knutershooter Member

Shame on me but I have had mine since 2004 and have never had it apart other than regular cleaning of the barrels and wiping it down. The bottom firing pin is stared a little and plan to have that replaced but in the last 50000 targets absolutely no issues. For the money I think they are a great gun! Plus you can buy like 5 of them for he price of a higher end gun and everyone likes to get new guns! LOL!! Only after winning a big shoot though. I think the big thing for any gun is how does it fit you and how do you shoot it the target doesn't know what gun your shooting and I am sure like others on here they have seen a guy/gal with an old camo mossberg clean up at a shoot and the fact is it just fits him right and shoots were he/she is looking. Best of luck with your gun!

6. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

You'll know if you need to have the firing pins and springs serviced, because you'll start getting misfires.

Best thing you can do for an XT is have an adjustable buttplate and proper adjustable comb hardware installed. It's a great gun for the money.

7. frbowers

frbowers TS Member

I appreciate all of the helpful responses and am excited to receive the gun. I've been shooting a KX-5 for singles and handicap and a Model 12 for doubles. I'm looking forward to the O/U for doubles.

Forrest

8. Kevin Fleming

Kevin Fleming Active Member

What bobdog said! Also, things to consider: If your XT is pre 2007 (I think), consider getting a new lower FP as they are about .015" longer and will take care of misfire woes. Watch out for pierced primers as they will erode the fp and soot up the fp channel. Easy to clean tho - yes you can get it done between events. I really like my '04 XT.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.