1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT - Suitable for Bunker/Intl Trap?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bluedsteel, Sep 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

I am considering learning to shoot bunker trap/international trap/olympic trap...I think these are all the same game. I shoot ATA trap now. My gun is a late-model Browning XT, with 32" barrels with the factory adjustable comb, and invector-plus chokes.

Will this gun be a usable choice for bunker trap? I am planning to travel to several of the venues to try this game, including the fields in Ohio, Pennsylvania, and Ft. Benning. Before I make too many plans I just wanted to know if this shotgun gives me a "fighting chance".

Comments/advice from anyone with experience at the bunker trap game and with this shotgun would be much appreciated.

Thanks.

Jef

2. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Mike; Thanks for the info. I recall reading that bunker shooters use a 24 gm load, (supposed to be the same as or similar to our 7/8 oz loads). I would figure the 24 gm loads would be faster, which may be more of an advantage than putting out 1 1/8 oz at a slower speed, so those ATA shooters did quite well. But I really don't know, as I have never shot bunker trap.

I hope to get a chance to try my XT at the game...it would be nice not to have to buy another gun...

Jef

3. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I use my 30" XT for International Trap - works great. Fiocchi makes an international trap load that is 7/8 oz, 1300+ fps...awesome load. If you have fast 1oz loads, those will work as well. I don't recommend anything slower.

You'll have no problem with your XT. May I suggest that you shoot one shell only at each station your first round - to get the hang of things. When you get more comfortable, then go to 2 shells. Just remember - the targets are not American Trap and they aren't coming out at the same speed as AT. Have a great time.

4. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

If you have good upper body and core strength, you will do well with your 32" XT.

I always recommend tighter and tightest for chokes. If you are well versed in your basics and fundamentals for ATA targets, IMOD/FULL or tighter will work. My favorite Bunker gun is choked FULL/XXFULL. The second shot can easily be 60+ yards. If I use a screwchoked shotgun, I use XF/XF. I prefer bore matched Angleport extended chokes. Your XT has a bore of .740".

Use energetic loads, preferably 24 gram or 7/8 oz at speeds of at least 1300 fps. These are pricey, and one can save considerable money loading them.

If you reload, I, along with many Intl' shooters, use the Federal 12SO or the Claybuster clone wad. Alliant Promo is going to be hard to beat for performance and cost. I also prefer Riefenhauser style cases. Many promo loads use this style of hull. Google them. Cheddite primers are good and work well in the Browning. I always use 7 1/2's for Intl' targets. They are thicker, harder to break, and get downrange very quickly.

If you do not have good upper body and core strength, the target will beat you and the long barreled gun will fatigue you. Getting in shape is a lot cheaper and better overall than buying a new gun.

The listed sites will give you an idea of what you need to do.

http://members.tripod.com/~gentryrj/otrap.html

http://www.dto.com/shooting/article.jsp?articleid=778

http://www.trapandfield.com/Les%20Greevy.html

The joke in ATA shooting is, "Eat your way to AAA". This does not work in the Intl' disciplines. The targets are faster, and are thrown in a much wider dispersion than the ATA target. Also, in Intl' competitions, a shooter may shoot one target, and change stations. This takes mental and physical conditioning. Elite Intl' shooters are also elite athletes.

If you mention where you live, there are several accomplished Intl' shooters who will gladly recommend a trainer, or if you are in their area, will work with you. I offer my humble assistance if you are in the Middle Tenn area.

5. BunkerGuy

BunkerGuy TS Member

Strongly suggest you check these two sites out before you go. Will give you a sense of what to expect:

http://www.deadtargetschool.com/ATAIntlTrapPart1.pdf. Note there are 3 articles -- written by BJ McDaniels, a USA Shooting coach -- here on switching from ATA/PITA trap to bunker.

http://www.shootingbunker.com/tyro.htm. Gives a run down.

- - Bill

6. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

Shooting Coach;

Thank you for the information and advice. The links were helpful as well. Obviously, I need to get back into my Yoga classes.

Bunker Guy;

Thanks for the three-part series link...I read them all...very helpful as well. For once, I think I understand the procedures and conduct of the game.

I live in NC, so unfortunately there are no bunker fields in my state. I may head to Fort Benning or Ohio in the near future to give bunker a try though.

Thanks again.

Jef

7. trappermike

trappermike Well-Known Member

Blued, never pass up the opportunity to purchase another gun. Shoot what you have and then buy another one. It may or may not be OK for bunker, but it is a really good excuse, I mean reason, to get another gun for what ever reason.

You don't sell guns, you buy guns.

Mike

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning xt trap for bunker trap