1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT stock to long

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill2, May 2, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill2

bill2 Member

My browning XT stock is about three inches to long. Measuring 1" from my nose to thumb. To cut three inches of would eliminate the Monte Carlo dip at the rear top of the stock at the butt plate. Ideas for a shorter stock please? Bill

2. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Unless the XT stock has been lengthened or unless you are only about 4' 6" tall, I doubt that the stock is 3" too long.

Just for the purposes of fitting, try taking the recoil pad off the stock. Then mount the gun and see how it fits. Don't shoot it that way. Without the recoil pad, the LOP should be about 1 1/4" shorter and that's a BIG difference. Let us know how the LOP is without the recoil pad in place.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

bill what are you measureing. You will be shocked at how much closer your nose to fingure length will change with just a 1/4 thinner pad.

4. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

Kickeez makes a .6 trap pad that should help you cut less off the lumber..in reality that rule you used doesnt apply to a Monte Carlo with a lot of rise at the nose of the comb...on that comb the center of your cheekbone thats on the top of the comb should be around 2.5-3" from the nose to that point. I recommend you have a professional check you out before you start cutting up a perfectly nice stock

5. Country Squire

Country Squire TS Member

bill2, A rule of thumb is for every 1/4" taken off or added to your stock will move your face 1",so if you take about 3/4" off it should move your face the 3"you need. Hope this helps.George

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Go let a professional fit that XT to you. Like the others I doubt that you have to cut!!!!!
    Wesley

7. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

Im going through the same thing on my xt. I need to be up on the gun alot more. I took the recoil pad off and it was way too short. Try the pad first, three inches is far too much. Have someone with experience help you fit the gun. Like anything, always tricks to the trade. Im making a winter and summer time pad.

8. bill2

bill2 Member

Thanks to everyone. I've gained four pieces of valuable information. 1. Is that nose to thumb measurement does not apply to all stocks. 2. 1/4 inch off the butt equals 1" nose to thumb. 3. Shorter recoil pad should be first consideration. 4. And last but not least the general concenses "professional fitting of the existing stock" Gentlemen I thank you. R/Bill

Who is a reputable stock fitter in southern indiana

9. bill2

bill2 Member

It Measures 14 1/4 with original Browning pad. R/Bill

10. bill2

bill2 Member

Taking the pad off is about correct length. If I could find a .6 kickeez trap pad like CalvinMD mentioned I believe I would be good to go. Kickeez web site only spoke of 1.2 inch thick pads. Should I call kickeez?

11. CalvinMD

Look in the Gamaliel catalog online...they got them...Also if you can find a Terminator, they make one thats a true half inch (.5")

12. bill2

bill2 Member

Thank Calvin!! I do appreciate the help R/Bill

13. CalvinMD

14. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

Bill 2 I have a XT Monte Carlo stock that was cun for my wife. I was going to buy a new stock for my self. I would trade you my cut stock for your stock. Just email me and I would send you photos and lenght with a ruler in the photo to see if this would work. Mark Deprez Gunsmith did the stock work.
    The GraCoil on the stock dose not go with the stock.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.