1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT Servicing.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by TIPPEDWAD, Mar 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIPPEDWAD

TIPPEDWAD TS Member

My lower bbl firing pin seems to be having a tough time detonating primers
    every so often. I am shooting reloads with Fiocchi primers. The gun is
    a year and a half old. Wondering if firing pin worn or spring is weak. The
    dent on the primer is real shallow when they fail to fire. If I put the
    same shell in the top bbl, it fires.

Who is a good gunsmith to send this to for a fix? I understand Browning
    is unmercifully slow or I would send it to them.

Thanks,

Whit Haselton

2. hounddog41@charter.net

hounddog41@charter.net Member

I have a top single combo and the over/under barrell does the same thing. alex

3. bobdog

bobdog Active Member

Most any decent gunsmith can do this, and it shouldn't cost much. A new firing pin and spring for an XT cost me less than $50.00 a year or two ago. I think Laurence Pylinski that did mine, but it might have been Stu Wright. A friend of mine had the same job done at Gander Mountain. It's not a tricky job, if I understand it right. I don't believe it's necessary to send the gun to Browning for this.

4. racer

racer TS Member

If you clean out the bottom firing pin hole every year or so you won't have any
    problems. There is a small shoulder on the firing pin that collects dirt etc.
    I haven't put a new pin or springs in my gun after 30K rounds. Dan

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

A deep cleaning first, also if this is the only ammo you have a problem with? I have issues with the fed 4 pacs from wallmart??? No anyone that has a untrasonic cleaner, they work great.

6. crew

crew TS Member

Hi I just put the second set of pins in my XT there easy just push out a small pin and they fall out there's a spring on the bottom one, there different the bottom pin comes up at an angle and its seems to get pitted on the end about twice as fast as the top pin,Ithink they cost about 12 dollars a piece from my dealer for Browning pins I just bought them last week but I didn't look as I got other items. I have shot close to fifty thousand shells in my gun so there not much of a problem, but it probably depends on the pins. Wayne

7. dbl20

dbl20 TS Member

Call Browning parts at 800-322-4626 Ext. 863. Order two Firing Pins Over (B1334148), two Firing Pins Under (B1334157) and two Firing Pin Springs Under (B1334164). Browning will take your credit card and get you the parts USPS in about a week. Remove your stock with a ¼” drive ratchet with a 6” extension and a ½” deep well socket (12mm works also) or a large and long flat tip screwdriver. Both firing pins can be removed by cocking the hammers and driving the retaining pins toward their hammer side (top pin out right side, bottom out the left side). Use a 1/16” punch, the pins are simple dowels with serrated heads to keep them tight in their holes.

Inspect the old pin head, no, not yours, the firing pin you just took out. I use a 16X hand lens to look for small chips or other failures of the hardened surface which could develop into a sharp edge and will puncture a primer. If you’ve been shooting loose primers or have excessive blow by from the chambers there will probably be carbon build up in the firing pin bores. This needs cleaning. Excess blow by will require a competent gunsmith. Other wise, reinstall your new pins and spring. Shouldn’t take more than a half hour, with practice. You can order an extra couple of Firing Pin Retaining Pins (B1334168), but a dab of Locktite will keep old pins in place. Mainsprings (B1334293) need to have their free length checked against a new one, but, in a 18 month old gun, they are probably not weak. Reassemble in reverse order and torque the Stock Bolt to 50 in/lbs. Jon Sharp

8. petey

petey Member

wayne, I just cleaned my xt last night and I noticed there is no spring on top firing pin. Is this normal?

petey

9. mahrbeezer

mahrbeezer TS Member

XT's have an issue with firing pins. Not a big problem to fix but its a spare part that you want to carry in your case. Some guns last longer than others but you will eventually change them out. I chalk it up as maintenance to the gun and an easy fix anyone can do at home.

10. willing

willing Member

This problem has been occurring for a while. Some think it is caused by using oversized primer in Rem cases for the FIRST reload. It just started with my XT. I have been using Nobel primers of late. It never happened with Winchester. I will be testing that next week to see if future reloads (second) have the same problem. Also check the shotgunworld site.

Bill

11. crew

crew TS Member

Hi again, There is no spring on the top pin. I would guess those flat primers might be harder on the bottom pin as it comes up at an angle and at least on my gun has needed to be replaced more than the top . Wayne

12. tad houston

tad houston TS Member

Here you go, complete with pictures.

13. TIPPEDWAD

TIPPEDWAD TS Member

Gentlemen:

Thanks for all the help and advice, I think I can solve it thanks to all the help!

14. crew

crew TS Member

Another thing I noticed loading once fired AA cases on a Hyd Mec 9000 with Fiocchi primers the smaller ones is I sometimes get a slight concave in the shell base its so slight its hard to see but if you lay a straight edge across the base you can see it coupled with a pitted pin and it won't fire,but if you put that shell in the top your probably OK its just something else to keep an eye on. I also have my primmer spring set correct on my loader. I load with a PW2000 also and have not seen that problem but try to load my AA hulls on the Mec because of the base wad Issue. Wayne

15. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

what about titanium firing pins??? My gunsmith said he can make them.

16. crew

crew TS Member

I was going to get Titanium firing pins from Timmy in California a few years back but he was out at the time and now he's not in Business any longer. I have a Browning dealer close by who always stocks them so I just got them there as there not that much of a problem anyway. It seems like I read something about them not being the best on this sight but I can't remember maybe someone will read this and reply. Wayne

17. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Any competent gunsmith should be able to turn .020" or so off the shoulders of a new firing pin to allow it to extend further yet retract far enough to clear the barrel. It works.

Morgan

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.