1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT recoil reduction ???

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by dog easy, Nov 18, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dog easy

dog easy TS Member

What is the best way to reduce the recoil on a Browning XT? I have been shooting this gun twice a month for two years and the kick is starting to get to me. Two weeks recovery time is just not enough. Surely someone has a system that works very well and doesn't cost a million dollars to install?

Thanks a lot.

Shoot Safe, John

2. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

You'd be hard pressed to find a gun that kicks as little as the XT. It is a fairly heavy gun, the barrels are overbored, and the stock has virtually no slope-either the monte carlo or the straight stock.
    The problem is either the way the gun fits you or the shells you're using.

3. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

Put some lead in the butt stock, once you get the gun to weigh more than 10 lbs. the recoil will go away. Also adjust the pitch of the butt stock so the recoil pad makes full contact with your shoulder. HMB

4. ec90t

ec90t Guest

John,

You should be able to find a gunsmith that would install a LOP adjustable GraCoil in the $300.00 neighborhood. If your XT has the factory adjustable comb, it may cost a bit more because of the adjuster screw. A Bump-Buster will probably cost you a little more.

ec90t

5. jrb100

jrb100 Member

I know that alot of people don't want to hear this,but if you are only shooting singles with your xt,try a C/H mercury filled chamber unit.A fellow shooter has an Xt 32 inch.I did not beleive it would do much either,so he gave me two 3 dram loads and I shot the first with it and the second without it and their was quite a bit more recoil without it.I know the weight is the biggest factor,but for 65.00 what the hell.

joe

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Gun fit or poor mount could be a issue. I own a XT partly because everyone I tried had less recoil than others. Also some light loads will help. I find 2 3/4 dram is more than enough. If you are only shooting a few rounds a month and recoil is a big problem. I started my wife on the AA feather lites and STS managed recoil shells. The AA are rated at under 1000fps or so and the STS 1100fps. super light. My wife did very well with these Gave her a chance to Focus on proper technique and shot placement rather than worry about recoil. She now has a gun that is hers, fits her. she is Shooting anything I hand her now. I think only shooting 2 rounds a month your more than likely dismounting the gun. I see people that will actually push the gun down and away from them because of anticipation of the recoil. Only to make matters worse.

7. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

Keep in mind that a mercury-filled, chamber-type recoil reducer will add about 3/4 of a pound (11.5 oz.) to your gun. Before you buy one, hang 12 ounces of something (e.g. 2, 6 oz. fishing weights) onto the receiver and mount the gun 25 times to see how it feels.

Morgan

8. coyote268

coyote268 TS Member

I had Greg Hissem put a Garcoil on mine and I love it. At 70, my body just doesn't want to stand up to a beating anymore so I am very happy with the results. Now, if I could only shoot it better.
    Dan

9. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

GraCoil LOP will make a world of diffance in the recoil. I have 2 XT with it a Bt-99 could not do with out a CraCoil. Give Greg a call.

10. kraiza

kraiza Active Member

GraCoil LOP will make a world of diffance in the recoil. I have 2 XT with it a Bt-99 could not do with out a CraCoil. Give Greg a call.

11. X2 fan

X2 fan Active Member

When I got mine from a fellow shooter it already had a Dead Mule in the stock.

Tim

12. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Go to light 7/8 oz. loads for 16s and light 1 oz. for everything else...try them. Best Regards, Ed

13. country gentleman

country gentleman Member

Lengthen the forcing cones, 1 oz loads, professional fitting, problem solved forever. Todd Nelson

14. wild turkey

wild turkey TS Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

cracoil

reduce recoil on browning xt