1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 686beretta, Jul 12, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

A gun dealer where I live has a XT for sale. The gun has choke tubes with several tubes for the gun. It has an adjustable comb and recoil pad.

I do have a couple of concerns, I noticed when I held it on Friday where the receiver and barrel comes together there was the beginning of some ever so small pitting, nothing major yet. Also, the top barrel has a scratch on it that looks pretty deep. Who can fix these problems? I would probably send it back to Browning over the winter for updates and service.

What do you think the gun is worth?

2. himark

himark Well-Known Member

Guy shoots with me bought same gun had 400 rounds through it total cause I know since I borrowed it from the guy NIB and shot'em. He sold it to him for 1400

3. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

What about fixing the scratch on the barrel and the small pitting issue?

4. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

Is it truly pitting or could it be abrasion from where the chamber block makes contact with the receiver? <center>
    [​IMG]
    </center>

MK

5. 686beretta

686beretta TS Member

It's on the outside of the receiver, where most people put their hands. Not around the firing pins.

6. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

Without pics it is extremely hard to advise on the pits. Probably not a big deal.

The scratch can be fixed by any quality gunsmith. Call Doug Braker at 218-947-3600 and ask him about it.

7. ajc

ajc Member

A vendor at the CA State Shoot had an XT for sale. It was used, but in very good condition, O/U, without an adjustable stock. Asking price was $2495. Struck me as rather high. Some postings on TS.com have been in the $1700+/- range.

8. goatskin

goatskin TS Member

The 'pitting' or 'freckling' on a fairly new gun is nominally caused by (chemically) 'hot' hands, and some guns are more prone to it than others.

It's not a big deal, and can be polished off/out and re-blued if you are wanting a pristine piece. Get a Magic Eraser (or a brand new dollar bill and a tube of Flitz), and you can get it done while watching Dancing with the Stars.

Same with the scratch, most likely, but YOU will be able to see/feel/know it's there. If that will be a bother, stay away from it.

Assuming the stock hardware, the bores and lock-up is A+, the flaws are cosmetic - but absolutely affect the value - $14-1500 and not much over that.

Bob

9. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

The two bits of brightwork (one on either side of the barrel) that mate with the "ears" visible on each side of the receiver in my photo above are not plated and are prone to rusting. Keep them polished with Flitz or silver polish and coat them with Fluid Film or Corrosion-X regularly.

10. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

The pitting you are reffering to is not any of the above issues. It is corrosion of the chrome plating on the receiver. I have seen this on numerous XT's, and the only way to get it off the gun is to send it back to Browning for refinish. Whatever you do don't take steel wool to it,as that will only polish the existing finish and make the pitting show up worse.

I saw several guns that had this problem when I was looking to buy one, including new ones. The new ones can be sent back and fixed for free, the used ones can't.

If you can ge the gun cheap enough and the finish problem doesn't irritate you then buy it. The new gun is priced at about $2200 for that model (best internet price I've seen). I got the non adjustable comb version for $1950 from Smiley's Sports shop, and they shipped to my FFL for $30. This was last Xmas. New gun no blems.

Cabella's gun room had a new one like mine but with the corrosion and they wouldn't go below $1850 for it. I passed.

I would just look around here as they come up on this website just about everyday. Find a deal you're comfortable with and go for it. As long as the finish on the whole gun is something you can live with, I wouldn't worry about the mechanical side of the gun. Most of these go 100K + with no maintenance beyond cleaning. If you need new springs, Flynn has them on here. And there are plenty of guys who can work on the gun. They are good guns, and hold their value well.

Randy

11. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

look at rainbusters gun in the post right below this It's a nice one for a really good price.

Randy

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.