1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Travioli, Apr 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Travioli

Travioli TS Member

I have been shooting my XT for about 1.5 yers nowand have a quick question. Right now I shoot full choke on bottom barrel buthasanyone usedfullin top barrel as oppossed to bottom barrel andseenbetter results using the top barrel?

Travis

2. starshot2b

starshot2b TS Member

I don't shoot top barrel first, but I do have a Full choke in it for doubles (Imp Mod in bottom) and the combo really works well for me. The full really smashes the targets (when I do my part). My experience and not quite the answer you were looking for.

3. brian meyerhofer

brian meyerhofer TS Member

Pattern the gun and see where the top barrel shoots in comparision to the bottom barrel.

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had very few issues from choke to barrel O or U. I did pattern all the chokes I got with the gun. I settled on BrileySpectrum Exstended IM bottm F on top. I use the top on doubles and when we step back for fun shooting. I do not shoot a lot of handicap but the IM has worked fine for me back to current 22y

5. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I had very few issues from choke to barrel O or U. I did pattern all the chokes I got with the gun. I settled on BrileySpectrum Exstended IM bottm F on top. I use the top on doubles and when we step back for fun shooting. I do not shoot a lot of handicap but the IM has worked fine for me back to current 22y. The factory chokes run a little less restriction, all mine say IMfor lead F for steel ect ect. I never actually mic'd the full OEM choke to compare it to the full Briley?

6. tandemdude

tandemdude TS Member

I shoot full choke in my top barrel and it works just great

7. BMC

BMC Member

Same here, Briley full in the top tube, which is the tube I shoot for everything. I only use the bottom for the first shot in doubles.

8. TEXASZEPHYR

TEXASZEPHYR Member

iffn u didnt have choke tubes, you would have top full and bottom im from the factry, i wonder why?

bob

In retrospect you shoot most with i m choke and the bottom barrel is supposed to give less rise to barrels hence less face slap and less noticed recoil etc.
    your option though. personally would use im in bottom brl.

9. jbmi

jbmi Well-Known Member

My wife shoots the top barrel vs. the bottom barrel. She says she can't tell the difference in recoil. She had a problem with canting the gun just a little which changes the POI a little more for the bottom barrel vs. the top.
    She said it's no different than when she shot her BT99.
    I don't think chokes had anything to do with it, but patterning it with different chokes is always a good idea.

10. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

Generally, on an XT you will have a heavier trigger pull on the top barrel than the bottom. This was partially done to prevent doubling when the bottom barrel is shot first -which is the preferred sequence. Most o/u are set up to fire the bottom barrel first. The standard non-selectable Perazzi trigger is set bottom barrel first. Only top barrel single/combo are set to top barrel first. Also the bottom barrels should be regulated to shoot higher than the top - to compensate for the additional rise in the top barrel, and to provide a higher first shot in doubles than the second shot which is flatter.

11. Frye

Frye TS Member

On my XT with my preferred loads, I got better patterns with a LM on the bottom barrel and full on top. Depending on what I was shooting and where, determined what choke I had in the top barrel. I didn't notice any difference in muzzle jump, recoil or any of that hoopla about what barrel to shoot first. I played around with mine. Bottom barrel first sometimes and vise versa. Both barrels shot the same POI. I pattered it when I got the extended choke set for it, liked what I saw and left it alone from there. I loved my XT and I'm looking forward to getting another one real soon.
    You have a fine piece of clay bustin' hardware there! I'm eyeballing the XT unsingle combo right now from Guns Unlimited and I'm pretty sure that's the set up I'll end up with when the funds come in.

Regards,

Frye

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.