1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT Problem

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by culverken, Oct 9, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. culverken

culverken Member

I have a problem with my Xt and I would like to know if anyone else has experienced this or has any tips to help me solve the problem.

Quick history, last week I shot the gun with no problems and then broke it down to put in the case and yesterday when I went to shoot it, I removed it from the case and I could not get the barrel on the receiver. The small tang in the center of the receiver which typically flips up when I push the lever over is stuck. I cant push it up with my fingers either. Yesterday I applied some pressure on it with a screw driver and got it to flip up and allow me to put the barrel on. I proceeded to shoot the gun, it worked fine, so after shooting I took it apart to put it away and i am having the same problem again. I took the stock off and cleaned everything and cant see anything that looks out of the ordinary.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Ken

2. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

Check the small slider in the mounting lug of the barrel under the chambers and make sure it isn't fouled by dirt and slides back and forth smoothly.

Andy Moreland

3. culverken

culverken Member

The slider on the mounting lug moves freely. It is a problem with the part in the receiver.

Thanks for the suggestion.

Ken

4. Old Texas Marine

Old Texas Marine Member

Ken,

When you try to raise the part you refer to as the "small tang", do you hold the release lever fully to the right? On my Citori Trap the "small tang will not drop nor come back up unless the release lever is moved to the right.

Hope this helps.

HBT

5. culverken

culverken Member

Yes I do have the release lever pushed all the way over but that tang wont budge unless I apply a good amount of force with a screw driver.

Ken

6. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

Are you pulling the trigger after the barrel is off? Not supposed; leave the hammers cocked.

7. culverken

culverken Member

I pull the triggers with the barrel on using snap caps and then break down the gun, just as I always have.

8. Bob_K

Bob_K Well-Known Member

That's the problem. Don't fire the barrels before disassembly.

9. Andy Moreland

Andy Moreland TS Member

"That's the problem. Don't fire the barrels before disassembly. "

Not a problem with my XT. I've been releasing the hammers by dry firing the gun before disassembly for years. My gun smith does it after every annual he does on my gun before he puts it in the case. I've never had a problem with reassembly like is being described.

Andy Moreland

10. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

Whe breaking down the gun, if you release the firing pins( dryfiring or snap caps) take the forearm off put it in the case then break it down but dont let the ejectors eject. then your opening lever is striaght when putting it back together push the lever over as if opening it. if the pins were released then the bottom bar under the pins will not go up or down. if you took your gun apart without releasing the pins then the lever will stay open(to the right) and the bottom bar is up if the bar is forced down then the lever closes making it nessesary to push lever open to attach barrel.

c.g.

11. 47bt99

47bt99 TS Member

The small tang is the gun’s cocking lever. There is probably some dirt or piece of foreign material preventing the gun’s cocking lever from operating. If you cannot find the blockage easily the receiver will have to be disassembled, cleaned and re lubricated.

Good luck. Bob

12. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

just when you think its clean, do it again. 2 places I found crud to get lodged. 1st is the cocking lever lifter. The piece on your barrel. This should move real nice and smooth and spring back. I had one that was jamming up. Spring broke a loop or 2 off inside later bending the lever causeing it to bind. The secound is what I believe is called the barrel lug??? Anyway when looking a the face of the reciever below the firepins. There is a piece that comes in and out behind the cocking lever. I found a piece of shot all smashed and flattened in there. I would put the action in a small tub of cleaner. And see just how clean you got it.

13. Easystreet

Easystreet Well-Known Member

Ken,

That small tang in the center of the receiver does NOT have to be up to reassemble the gun, even if you have pulled the trigger on both barrels.

Just insert the barrels into the receiver as you normally do. Then, as you slowly lift the barrels up to close the receiver, push the opening lever to the right. The gun should close up as normal. Replace the forend and you are done.

Easystreet

14. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Ken,,I had a XT Combo that did the same thing,,,I would put the O/U barrels on then take them off, after that I could install the un-single barrel,,,this appeared after about 1 1/2 years of use (about 25-30,000 rounds). Never found out the problem,,it broke (another problem/another story) and was sent back to Browning for replacement. I should get the new one back in a week or so, then I'll see if have the same problem. I guess that does not answer your question, but I tried all the other threads, tring to fix mine before it broke.
    Norman

15. Desert Breeze

Desert Breeze TS Member

Ken, if you continue to force things with a lever such as the barrel you are going to find out exactly what is wrong. Browning will tell you in their repair invoice.

16. Bucko43

Bucko43 Well-Known Member

I had the same problem with a brand new XT that had only been shot twice.
    I couldn't get that barrel on to save my life, until I accidentally pushed the safety to the "ON" position. The barrel went right on, no problems since learning to put on the safety first.

Kevin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

problems with browning xt