1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT POI about 9" left at 40 yards

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by dannyw68, Apr 14, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

What is the easiest and cheapest way to fix a gun that shoots off center? I shot at some flip chart paper this past weekend and found that my Browning XT is shooting about 9" left at 40 yards.

Is it is simple as having the sights shifted?

2. M R Ducks

M R Ducks Member

Browning XT POI about 9

Both barrels?

3. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Browning XT POI about 9

Yes, both barrels shoot to the same spot.

4. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

Browning XT POI about 9

If you didn't check it from a rest, you need to. It's normal for a right hander to pull slightly left at a stationary target with the gun mounted.

5. Carol Lister

Carol Lister TS Member

Have someone else shoot it from a bench rest before you jump to conclusions. The gun may not fit you well and you may be pulling your shots to the left as a result. If you're a right-handed shooter, that's a good possibility.

Carol Lister

6. GW22

GW22 Active Member

Browning XT POI about 9

Well, duh... Just beat them barrels over a bag of shot till they shoot where they ought to!

-Gary

7. Neil Winston

Neil Winston Well-Known Member

Browning XT POI about 9

Get closer - 13 yards is my suggestion - and shoot off a rest. Don't come to any conclusions before you've done it on at least two different days totaling at least a box of shells, one shot at a time, that is, at different aim-points. Come back and tell us how it went and we will dive into it knowing we all know what we are talking about.

Neil

8. dannyw68

dannyw68 Member

Browning XT POI about 9

OK, I'll benchrest it and get back to you. Thanks.

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Browning XT POI about 9

What Neil said

Also even at 13 - different load combinations might make a change in POI

close your non shooting eye or use a magic dot

Final thought- after you shoot- and its off center- enough to worry about== have someone else try your gun off the rest- it could be how you are holding it which means an adjusable comb and butt might help

Gene

10. redhawk44

redhawk44 Member

Browning XT POI about 9

If it was mine and I established that it did indeed shoot 9" left at 40 yds, I would send it to Browning and let them figure out how to fix it.

It certainly should cost no more than the shipping cost.

11. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Browning XT POI about 9

if this stock fits you, and after someone else shoots the gun, and if it is still shooting 9 inches to the left for both of you, i would consider sending this gun back to browning. odd that both barrels are shooting at the same place. to me, shooting a gun that doesn't shoot where you look, is like driving a car that needs an alinement. chances are the stock does not fit you. people above gave you good advice, benchrest it and try it again.
    steve balistreri

12. rick resko

rick resko TS Member

Browning XT POI about 9

i agree with goose on this. a fellow i shoot with had the same problem with a new xt. different choke tubes did the trick.

13. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

Browning XT POI about 9

I thought my XT was off when I first bought it. I ended up with the rifle guys to really check it out. After a good hazeing for needing to check out a POI/POA on a birdshot gun. They got down to business.
    I was told to set the comb so as to get the clasic fig 8 bead alignment after the mounted the gun to a gun rest. They used the lead sled. After I did this they installed the laser inserts that look like shells. he then stuck two chamber wipes in the barrels to block the lasers. I took aim at 25yard target, he carefully removed the bore wipes to reveal the lasers. sure enough the lower barrel was just a touch higher than poa the upper barrel dam near dead aim. OK then it moved to shooting shells, this is where things got interesting and also how I found 2 bad chokes.
    these guys really helped me rule out a crooked shooter. When all was said and done I had my XT shooting about 4" high @ 25 yards with a marginal drift l and r. From bench to standing and shooting I needed to make a few adjustments. The bench test rules out crooked barrels and bad chokes.

14. BMC

BMC Member

Browning XT POI about 9

My XT did that too. Adjustable come fixed it. The comb on the factory MC stock is thicker than my other guns, and with my wider melon, it was difficult to always be centered on the gun. My comb sits about 3/8 shifted to the right (outward) and I center perfect on it now, so does the shot patterns. I did buy a new choke some time ago and found out real quick that the gun wasn't shooting right. Put it on the board with the new choke, sure enough, it was shooting left. Changed back to the old choke, the pattern was centered again. The brand new choke was bogus and replaced.

15. mike b.

mike b. Member

Browning XT POI about 9

I put in a new front bead slightly left.......now shoots dead center.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.