1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT lower firing pin question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TIPPEDWAD, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TIPPEDWAD

TIPPEDWAD TS Member

My three year old XT began to mis-fire occasionally on the lower barrel. Seemed to happen more frequently with AA reloads. I sent to Browning for
    a replacement set of firing pins and replaced the lower one. Fired 50 re-
    loaded AA's Sunday and it performed flawlessly. Seems to hit a bit harder
    and deeper. Question is, have others had this happen, and is Browning making
    the replacement pin a tiny bit longer?
    Thanks,
    Whit Haselton

2. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

It has been a fairly common problem for many years on Browning O/U's going back even to the Belgian Superposed guns. The bottom pin runs at quite an angle and doesn't get a good straight shot at the primer. It seems to be the one that causes trouble once the hammer spring gets a little weak or the end of the pin starts to wear down or even if the channel that the pin runs in becomes dirty and powder fouled.

It is more or less a common maintenance issue (replacing the hammer spring or pin). It isn't real hard to do yourself if you are handy.

3. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Always inspect the end of the firing pin, should be nice and smooth. If there is a little crater on it it will get into misfiring also.

There was another thread on just a while back, with some modifications to address this.

HM

4. bill2

bill2 Member

Whitt, took my lightly used XT to the browning dealer November 11 for the same problem. I did not purchase the gun from this particular Browning dealer. They asked what the problem was? I told them barrel did not fire. They said they would put it in thier standard shipping container and send it to Browning. I said what do I owe you? They said shipping charges when it come's back unless Browning might find something I did wrong. The dealer called today and said my gun was back. The message was on my recorder so I don't know cost or what problem was found. I assure you it did not take Browning the 3 to 6 months I've heard the horror stories about. Only 15 day to check out and most likly fix my gun! I did not have to worry about shipping, insurance, and FFL laws the Browning Dealer did this for me. So far my satisfaction with Browning is they have been outstanding. R/Bill Clymer

5. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

I use the current 12 ga Browning part no B1334157 for the lower pin, and the Wolff Extra Power mainspring #30217 for the right hand hammer. Brownell's has these parts.

MAKE SURE there is no flash in the firing pin channel. This will bind pin, and guess what? Causes misfires.

I generally recommend Cheddites and Rio primers for these guns. The Rio is hotter, and a little oversized, but for the price, who cares? I doubt I will buy domestic primers again, as pricey as they are. The Cheddite and Rio will do anything the domestics will do.

The Cheddite and Rio are both used in a BUNCH of factory ammo. They are both good. Remmy uses Cheddites in some field loads. :^)

6. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

I reload with Cheddites... for the last 5 years...... never a misfire with the XT.

7. bill2

bill2 Member

Browning fixed my gun no charge! I did pay shipping and insurance from my Browning dealer. She's 100% I ran every type of shell thru it I had on hand and no fail to fire on the lower pin. Thanks all to all who contributed to the success story and especially Browning!!
    Bill Clymer

8. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

IIRC, Browning may use the Wolff spring on problem guns.

As far as Cheddites eating Browning firing pins. The money saved on the Cheddites will more than cover the price of the pin by the time the pin is damaged by the primer. The Fiochhi and Nobel seem to be a very mild primer. Either one has cold weather performance issues, or one ups the powder charge. I prefer the Cheddite and Rio.

That's my story and I'm sticking to it!

9. FLIP

FLIP Member

found out on my browning misfire problem was the combo of the Fiocci primers winchester hull,primers set a touch deeper every so often in a winchester hull, also the winchester hull brass rim is not as rounded and flatter then remington hull and will set deeper in the barrel causing lite hits on primer,i have had no problems with the same load same reloader in a remington hull, just my 2cents

10. FLIP

FLIP Member

11. FLIP

FLIP Member

12. FLIP

FLIP Member

browning changed pin about a year ago, same part#B1334157

13. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

Wolf Springs sells replacement pins and springs. Replace mine every 10000-20000 shots zero problems with them.

14. FLIP

FLIP Member

Phone # for WOLF PLEASE

15. Troutslayer

Troutslayer TS Member

W. C. Wolff Company
    P.O.Box 458
    Newtown Square, PA 19073-0458
    United States of America

Toll Free.: 800-545-0077 (US & Canada)
    Phone....: 610-359-9600
    Fax........: 610-359-94