1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT-How many rounds possible ?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by amboy49, Mar 19, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

I have next to no experience with a Browning XT but contemplating purchasing one that is used - the question is what would be considered an excessive number of rounds through this model gun ? . . . . and can it be "tightened up" if the gun is/becomes loose ?

Is the lever supposed to be right of center as on a Krieghoff ? If so, a lot right or just slightly right ? On a Krieghoff the lever gets closer to center as the gun wears. Is this something to check on the Browning ?

Thanks in advance

2. over the hill

over the hill Active Member

I doubt whether you could wear one out with reasonable care.

I almost bought a Pigeon Sporting Clays model that was shot a lot.

Finish was worn, adj. comb holes were egg shaped, and it popped open sometimes.

I was told that repairing the self- opening problem was no problem.

However, with all of that, it shot nice.

Lots of info. here on Citori guns and owners, as well as opinions.

Look it over good, and good luck. Shoot if you can.

Regards.....Gerald

3. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

They can be made like new again by some of the Browning gurus such as:

Midwest Gun Works(MGW)~~~http://www.midwestgunworks.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?

Arts Gun Shop~~http://www.artsgunshop.com/

As stated before, they are hard to wear out if well maintained. They will however get loose over many years of use. Most important thing is keep it clean and freshly oiled/greased. One other thing, slamming break open guns closed will shorten its life faster than shooting it.

4. Recoil Sissy

Recoil Sissy Well-Known Member

amboy49

"... can it be "tightened up?"

Yes. Any decent gunsmith can handle the job at a reasonable price. It can be done multiple times if you're a high volume shooter.

"Is the (top) lever supposed to be right of center...?"

Yes it should and the top lever position IS something that should be checked. As wear occurs, the top lever will move toward the center or even left of center. A simple rebuild will take it 'all the way' back to the right.

As an indicator of wear, it is one of the factors to be considered in determining a reasonable purchase price.

sissy

edited addition

You asked what's an excessive number of rounds fired. There's no exact number but a typical target gun is well in to the tens of thousands before wear becomes a factor.

GunDr has rebuilt two target guns for me. One of those was a Citori Trap which is all but identical to an XT mechanically speaking.

5. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

There have been several people claiming to have fired in excess of 100-150-200,000 rounds thru their XT's. The one with 200K thru it had the original springs and had never even had the locks looked at.

I think they will last longer than most shooters will.

Randy

6. PerazziBigBore

PerazziBigBore TS Member

200,000 on a locking bolt???? I doubt it.. but the Brownings can easily go 1 million rounds or more with a few rebuilds.. and proper care..

7. Recoil Sissy

Randy, PerazziBigBore, and all:

My Citori Trap started popping opening at less than 100k. I could be wrong but I'd be really skeptical about claims for 200K and original springs.

sissy

8. Recoil Sissy

Sometimes I take to much for granted...

When I said GunDR (Doug Braker, Backus, MN) rebuilt two target guns for me, it was intended as an enthusiastic endorsement. Doug does first rate work, on a variety of services, at reasonable prices, with prompt turnaround times.

A list of services, prices, and contact information are available on his website listed above.

sissy

9. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

A Top Lever spring is easily installed, and costs less than $10. These springs are highly stressed, and, along with excessive lube, are the first thing to look at if the gun pops open. With reasonable care, reasonable ammo, these guns will go an amazingly long way.

I don't recommend steady use of high velocity ammo such as Super Sport or Nitro 27 in any fixed breech shotgun.

The main reason for this is that excessive recoil eventually causes a flinch.

When servicing break open shotguns, I can usually tell when a large number of such loads have been shot in the gun.

Impact damage to the stock, to the breech face, a ledge on the lug surface of the barrel, and premature locking bolt wear. I am not just talking about the Browning.

After owning a car load of the Krieghoff and Perazzi, I went back to the Browning. They simply fit me better, and I prefer them. YMMV

10. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I can tell you for a fact that my XT has fired somewhere between 125 and 130,000 rounds. I use it. It has not been babied but I do clean and apply lube about every 3,000 rounds. Last year it would not eject the lower barrel hull unless the screws were tightened in the fore end after each day of shooting. I carried it into Browning at the Grand and they went through it for a price that I though was incrediably low - I thought the guy was kidding when he gave me the price. It is a tight as it was when new.

I have always heard the Browning repair at the factory stunk and I have had a bad experience there before but the Grand techintians fixed my gun in less than two hours and I have nothing but admiration for them and the work done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.