1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT/Gracoil question

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by abigbear, Jun 27, 2013.

1. abigbear

abigbear Member

I have a new XT w/adj comb, I want to install a gracoil LOP on it. Does anyone know what the shortest LOP I can get on this? It doesn't look like you can cut much of the stock off because of the adj comb adjuster sticking out the stock.

2. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

Three or four years ago, Keith Heeg told me it wasn't possible to put a LOP adjustable gra-coil on a XT with the factory adjustable comb. He said if I wanted a gra-coil on a XT, to buy a MC stock, have the gra-coil installed and then have comb work done.

3. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Surely you could get the dimensions from th+e Gracoil site. Gracoil are good units and reasonably priced.

Trapshooting USA is aother good source for other brands.

Good luck and pay attenetion to the season you my have to adjust foe.

4. philk

philk Member

Can`t put a Gracoil on an adj comb XT stock???? I`ve got one on a Cynergy which is basically the same stock and it works great. You need to give Rods Stocks a phone call. You can also put a really thin pad on it.

5. yakimaman

yakimaman Well-Known Member

I also had one. Rod's the man!

6. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

It really depends on what LOP you require, but usually something can always be figured out. Some stocks with adjustable combs are better candidates for the standard Gracoil that has much shorter slides.

7. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

The statement that you can't put a Gracoil with an adjustable LOP on an XT stock with an adjustable comb is the worst sort of nonsense I have read on this forum in a long time.

Browning sold the gun with both pieces of equipment on the stock for many years, and they still do. I am quite certain that they sold it this way because I bought two brand-new ones from a Browning dealer. (I still have one of them; a friend has the other). Moreover, the XT is currently shown on the Browning website with both pieces of equipment installed. See http://www.browning.com/products/catalog/firearms/detail.asp?fid=008B&cid=013&tid=228

Here's a quote from that webpage:

"The Citori XT Trap Gold with Adjustable Comb and length of pull is not guaranteed to score more hits, but if there ever was a trap over under gun, this is the king of them all. The comb can be adjusted high or low to center your eye with the rib and sight bead. The buttstock, with its GraCoil recoil pad and recoil reduction system is adjustable for length-of-pull so the gun comes to the shoulder the same way, the same time without hang up or interference each time, the same time."

Where do people get this stuff?

Ted K.

8. abigbear

abigbear Member

That's what I thought. I'm just trying to find out if I can get the LOP down to around 13 1/4" and still be able to adj comb with factory hardware. i have sent a few emails out, but no answers yet.

Bruce

9. bigdogtx

bigdogtx Well-Known Member

Ted,,,,,they heard on the internet,,,,,,,must be true.......

10. Borderland

Borderland Member

Take a look at a BT99 golden clays with factory installed gracoil and you will see
    how Browning worked around the bolt for the adjustable comb.

11. abigbear

abigbear Member

It looks like you can change out the adjustment rod for a shorter one out of an XS, 177mm xt vs 159mm xs there also looks to be a 141mm can't remember the model now lol

Bruce

12. Ted K.

Ted K. Member

Big bear -

I found the LOP on my XT (with the adjustable gracoil) to be too long for me so I sliced off a piece of the stock. The problem is, I don't remember how much. But it was at least a half inch, possibly more. My recollection is that the comb adjustment hardware wasn't a factor - the real question was the length of the comb - you can't cut the stock past the rear end of the comb, obviously. But I don't think the comb adjustment mechanism created a problem.

BTW, Graco (the people who make the gracoil) sell a drop-in comb adjustment mechanism that fits the inletting for the Browning comb adjustment mechanism, and their system is easier to use and adjust than the factory one.

Ted K.

13. Tron

Tron Supporting Vendor Supporting Vendor

13 3/4" would be too short for a LOP adjuster because the top screw of the unit will need wood to screw into. An LOP adjustable Gracoil wouldn't be a good candidate because you would be cutting into the comb itself and modification to the upper part of the Gracoil unit (cutting off) wouldn't be a good option. The 1" threaded adjuster/damper is set by being pinched into place by an elongated slot and 2 set screws on the right side of the unit....so, the unit can't be "pinched" into place without the mounting screws being above the slides.

A standard Gracoil unit that is modified may be your best option.

14. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I have attached two pics showning the Gracoil I put on my Browning XT. The pad is 5/8" thick, the adjustment is screwed all the way in. The minimum thickness on the Gracoil hardware on this setup is 1". The non-adjustable length setup is only 3/8" thick(no recoil reduction). There is about 1/4" space between the end of the stock and where the cut starts on the factory adjustable comb. In the second pic you can see where I drilled a hole in the Gracoil for the comb adjustment screw. I had the comb hardware change out as I could not get the Browning setup to stay tight. As Tron said, this is not a practical setup for the LOP you want. I hope this helps. The LOP is set at 14 1/2" on this stock. Bob

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. abigbear

abigbear Member

Bob, is your trigger set all the way back? I have 14 1/2" LOP now with factory set up with the trigger all the way back. If the Gracoil is 1" and my curret pad is 1" and I cut 1" off of stock and use 5/8" pad, I should end up with about a 14 1/8" LOP....correct? I could live with that i think.

Thanks,
    Bruce

16. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

My trigger is in the middle position. Looks correct. Remember, your screw for tightening up your comb will probably have to be shortened some. It is not too hard to do. You can put a new slot in it with a dremel cut off tool. Bob

17. coveybuster

coveybuster Member

I wanted the gra-coil to adjust between 13.5 & 14.5 inches. Keith Heeg told me the same story that Tron explained about no wood to screw into. This was the Fall of '08. That's my story & I'm sticking to it.

Search tags for this page

browning citori how to adjust lop

gracoil

gracoil adjustments

gracoil dimensions

how to adjust gracoil pad
installation of gracoil to citori xt trap
keithheeg gun stocks adj comb
red or green on xt trap