1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning xt for sporting clays

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by brantman, Jan 15, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brantman

brantman TS Member

just bought a Browning xt trapgun for shooting trap but I was wondering if it would be suitable to shoot sporting clays also. also I had some choke tube grease on my hands and got it in the checkering,any idea on how to get the stain off?

2. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Would work fine as a sporting clays gun. Best Regards, Ed

3. SCL

SCL Member

Handcleaner,GOJO for the grease.

4. fishguts

fishguts Member

I tried to shoot my XT Trap at sporting clays,...not much success. I guess I was trying to shoot trap style by mounting the gun first but I had to lift up off the stock to find some of the targets. Tried to shoot it skeet style with a low gun hold but couldn't bring it up and get on the comb fast enough...seems like it was an awkward situation. I bought an automatic for sporting clays.

Wayne

5. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

brantman, Your gun will work just fine, so go for it!!! Just bring the correct chokes. IC works most of the time. As far as the grease goes I would use a toothpick and a fine cloth, lay the cloth on gun and run the toothpick into the grooves to get most if not all the grease out that way and go from there. Good Luck and Break-em all. Jeff

6. JACK

JACK Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

7. wireguy

wireguy TS Member

Provided you have the oomph to move it and it reasonably fits you, an XT works great for sporting. It's light enough for most to get it moving and heavy enough to be disciplined.

8. Rastoff

Rastoff Active Member

If you are going to shoot low gun, consider changing out the recoil pad. The Trap style concave pad doesn't lend itself to a quick mount. Otherwise it should be fine.

9. W.R.Buchanan

W.R.Buchanan Member

I shoot trap and skeet with mine, so I don't see any reason why it shouldn't work just fine for SC. The only diff between an XT and the XS (and I confirmed this with Browning)is the wood, and the buttstock has nearly the same drop at comb as the XS skeet gun but with the monte carlo comb. Mine shoots right at 50/50 so the rib is not a factor.

The SC gun has a slightly different stock than the other two but if you can shoot skeet with the XT you can shoot SC with it also. Also if you adjust the comb to where it is level it is basically the same as the XT stock anyway.

I need a high comb stock so it works for me for everything and saved me another $6-8K for guns that wouldn't make me shoot any better.

IF I got really serious about clays I'd probably find an XS Sporting Butt Stock and change back and forth as I went. I don't think that will happen as there isn't any convienient Sporting Clays Venues near me.

Randy

10. brantman

brantman TS Member

thanks guys

11. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

Brantman,
    I also wanted to shoot skeet and sporting clays with my XT Golden Clays but the stock was too high. You really need a flat shooting gun to shoot skeet and SC's. (I already have a XT Combo set up for trap) and decided to send my stock to Tron and get an adjustable comb put on it. I asked him to lower it 3/16" and he did a great job of doing so. I have a 525 Sporting but like the XT better.
    My first time out with it I shot a 25 straight at skeet (also a 24 and 23)and ended the day with a 26 straight on skeet doubles. It works very well for me. I use 7/8 oz of shot and it is a real puppy dog to shoot as the XT is a heavy gun. Tron has a very fast turnaround time and was great to deal with.
    Pic of completed stock. Good luck! Bob

[​IMG]

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

What some folks have forgotten to mention is that your eye is the rear sight, and the height of your cheekbones is what determines the POI of your gun.

As a Native American, I have VERY high cheekbones. This puts my eye high on the stock. As a result, even my Sporter shoots about 80% high.

This is something I have learned to deal with and take advantage of, and prefer a high shooting shotgun.

The XT, especially the 30" model, is very nimble and quick handling, while being substantial enough for a day's shooting with high velocity loads.

My Browning Special Sporting model and XT, both with 30" barrels, shoot very close to the same POI. The XT is about 2" higher at 13 yards.

These are my favorite tournament arms of all time. They simply fit me better than other brands, and I have shot and owned most of them. Ironically, they are less expensive, and easier to service, than most other tournament guns.

Print your gun on paper at 13 yards, using the Winston Method, and verify where your gun is shooting.

You might start out with the McGuire shooting method on Sporting. Google it, and you will see it is a good way to get used to shooting Sporting.

I prefer the Cherry method, but know and respect both Wendell and Bill.

13. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I shoot my 30" Citori Plus for sporting all the time and it works perfect for me set at 90%...just be consistant with your sight picture with the target/muzzle relationship

14. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Another pilgrim who prefers and enjoys a high shooting shotgun. :^)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
best trap and skeet gunbest trap and skeet 2014
browning citori xt sporting clays

browning xt for sporting clays

browning xt sporting
browning xt trap
browning xt trap for sporting clays
browning xt trap mount