1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

browning xt for skeet???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by mt92, Feb 18, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mt92

mt92 Member

I found a Browning XT with 30" barrels for sale locally and I was curious as to how that would work shooting skeet with the proper chokes?
    The gun has a non-adjustable comb and I am told that trap guns usally shoot high?
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Thanks Mike.

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

It is best to shoot skeet with a flat shooting gun. If it is a used gun see if they will let you shoot it before buying. That way you will know if it works for you. HMB

3. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

The XT shoots a lot flatter than the XS Skeet does. It is how the rib is on the gun. Like HMB said shoot it if you can, it may or may not be a gun for you.

I have both... you may email me if you have any questions. Wish you well!!!

WesleyB

4. mt92

mt92 Member

The XS should shoot flatter shouldent it?
    I had a Beretta S680 but it had too high of a stock.
    Thanks Mike.

5. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

it really doesnt matter if it shoots a little high

skeet is a 22 yard and under game

sure it would work fine on skeet and if the POI is slighly different--- your brain becomes programed very quickly

Gene

6. WesleyB

The XS has the same rib that my 30 year old Browning trap has. You can lay one barrel over the other and there is no difference. High in the back and low in the front. Makes it shoot high if you are looking flat down the rib. The XT is about as High in the back but higher at the front than the XS. Makes it shoot flatter.

WesleyB

7. sean justice

sean justice TS Member

i like a little high shooter, i think its a great gun , if its a great deal run with it, if its going to be in your head all the time forget it, i shoot with folks that have super high rbs, im thinking of putting a devault delrin on my new k80.

8. deadapair17

deadapair17 TS Member

I shoot skeet with an XT all of the time and like it best of all my guns. By the way, it is a 32 inch also. Will work just fine, at the most, will only shoot about 60% high. Like above poster, it is only a 21 yard game, so will be maybe an inch or two high with a 27 inch pattern. You will get along fine with it, but you might try a round or two before you buy. Thanks, Don

9. Frank C

Frank C Well-Known Member

I do it on occasion, shoots just fine, fits better than my field OU too!

10. BrowningGal

BrowningGal TS Member

I also have a 32" XT, and when I'm not shooting trap with it, I'm shooting skeet or sporting clays. It works just fine. Flat or high... I think that all gets between the ears. Like the others say, shoot it and then decide. If it's a used gun, most sellers would not have a problem with your trying it. If it's new, find someone at your club who has one and ask to try theirs.

11. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

My skeet/sporting/wobble/5 stand gun is also my trap doubles gun and a trap configuration. Try it and see if it works for you or not.....breakemall....Bob Dodd

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Where the gun shoots depends on how you are built. Put the gun on paper, using the Winston method. If you have high cheekbones, the gun will shoot high. If not, it won't shoot so high.

As an Amerind with very high cheekbones, my Skeet gun goes about 80/20. If I have a good day, I shoot well. If I have a bad day, it is not the gun.

As Gene said, the brain programs for this very quickly. I prefer a high shooting gun. Floating the bird provides less of a temptation to lift the head to see the target. The only target I want to cover up with any gun is on Skeet station Eight. "^)

13. Smithy47

Smithy47 Member

I purchased an XT unsingle combo and was going to sell my older XT. I was playing with it, dropping the adj. comb down and shot a couple of rounds of skeet with it using 7/8 oz loads. I could not believe it, I like it better than my other skeet guns. If you get the non-adjustable comb (monte carlo stock) it may be a little too high for you. As others said, you are shooting so close it does not matter much. You get a lot for your money with the XT.

14. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

I'm using my XT Gold for all my clay shooting. It fits me and it shoots how I like. Just need to hope that it's not too much like swinging a tree trunk for International Skeet!

Phil.

15. Chango2

Chango2 Active Member

I am finding that an XS 30 inch skeet is lots of fun and effective in trap doubles. It's the parallel stock, I believe, no adj. comb, and the parallel stock mitages against kick into the face. So far a very promising and fun trap doubles gun. So why not vice versa?

16. WesleyB

Depends on how high you want the target floating above the rib when you shoot. Seems the older you get the higher above the rib you want your target to break.

Skeet is crossing targets and coming at you and going away. Different game than trap and to me different leads etc. Nothing wrong with the XS for skeet if you like the target floating way above the rib. For a kid or new shooter dealing with two leads is harder. It is easier to deal with just one lead, how far ahead of the target you need to track thats why i like the XT for skeet also. With the XS you have to lead ahead of target and below the target to break it. Its all in what you want. This is my experience with both guns. Prob wont buy a cup of coffee HEHEHEHE

WesleyB

17. Bridger

Bridger Member

A member at our club recently bought an XT. Can't seem to hit squat at trap but is running good scores at skeet with it. Only way to know is to try.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning xt for skeet

browning xt skeet

browning xt trap for skeet

can you use browning xt trap for skeet

skeet barrel for browning xt

skeet barrels for browning xt
x t trap gun how high shoots
xt rib for skeet