1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT firing pin replacement

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Krzyman, Jul 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Krzyman

Krzyman TS Member

Where can I get a manual to show me how to replace the firing pins in a Browning
    XT or maybe someone can provide instruction via Trapshooters.

2. ship9002

ship9002 TS Member

I have not tried this myself yet, but had it bookmarked for when the time comes. Hope its helpfel to you.

http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/viewtopic.php?t=89866&highlight=citori

3. Unknown1

Unknown1 Well-Known Member

If you want to replace just the firing pin (and maybe the return spring), cock the hammer either before or after you remove the stock. The you'll only need a punch and a small hammer to remove the retaining pin. There is no need to remove the hammer spring to replace just the firing pin.

If you need to replace the mainspring as well, buy a spring removal tool from Brownell's (left) or you can make a tool like mine (right) from a very small (4-inch) diagonal cutter and a small diamond or carbide grinding burr. DON'T TRY TO USE ORDINARY SCREWDRIVERS OR PLIERS TO REMOVE THE HAMMER SPRING.<center>
    [​IMG][​IMG]
    </center>

The hammer end of the main spring rod fits a bit loosely into the hole ground in the tips of the cutter, the cutter is held closed and used to pull back on the spring and compress it enough to remove the rod from the back of the hammer. Oil the firing pin very sparingly when replacing it.

MK

4. bluedsteel

bluedsteel Member

If you follow the directions in the thread mentioned above, and yes, make or get the tool described by MK, it is no big deal at all...took me about 15 minutes to do the job correctly. I doubt I really needed to replace the pin though...cleaning was all that was really needed.

bluedsteel

5. Primedust

Primedust TS Member

Just had two lower pins replaced. One on an XT and one on a 525. Pat Laib did both. Took him 5 minutes with the right tools. Replaced the pin and the spring on each. New pins required some sanding and filing to lengthen the stroke of the pin. Was having at least one miss fire per round if not 6. After lengthing the pin and new springs, no miss fires. Old pins were not visibly worn, but turned out one was .005 (5000) thousands of an inch short the other .003 thousands. Big difference in stroke length and even bigger difference in confidence on the line. Amazing how dirty they are. I would recommend removing the pin and cleaning first.

Got to say it is easy to do, but first you have to buy or make the tool. I don't know about you, but I have too many tools already! Support your local gunsmith. Besides what is better than walking into a shop loaded with guns and a hot cup of coffee. (Don't answer that)

Primedust.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning citori firing pin replacement

browning xt firing pin

browning xt firing pins

how do i change firing pin and spring on browning citori
how to change firing pin and spring on browning xt ultra

how to change firing pin in browning citori xt

replacing citori firing pins

replacing firing pins on browning xt trap gun