1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT bottem bbl.

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by bill2, Mar 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bill2

bill2 Member

I can't find the thread in search on the Browning XT lower firing pin not hitting the primer hard enough to ignite. I would sure appreciate some help finding that thread. Bill

2. Inspector 12

Inspector 12 TS Member

Curious, how many rounds through the gun when the problem appeared? Has it been there from the beginning on a new gun or is this a problem that appears after some rounds down field?

Curious, just ordered a new XT Trap wondering what to expect.

3. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

4. bill2

bill2 Member

I guess I didn't do a good job cleaning and inspecting the pins and cavities 200 rounds ago. Thanks for all the help! Bill

5. bill2

bill2 Member

That note didn't sound like I intended.

What it should have said was: Thank you all very much for the help! It is appreciated.

bikrprchr, I purchased my gun used last Aug. The gun looked new inside and out. I'm new to the game of trap and have not ran 500 shells thru the gun 10 or so on the bottom barrel when fail to fire (FTF) started. Firing pin is hitting but not hard enough to ignite. Cleaned and inspected again tonight but found no dirt or anything else to cause the problem. beautiful gun but fails to go bang. Take the shell out of the bottom that FTF and put it in the top? Goes bang every time. I do reload and am not new to that task. Primer seats as new. new firing pin will be installed. I hope this will not happen to you. Bill

6. 1@atime

1@atime TS Member

I bought a new XT two years ago and it did the same thing right out of the box. After 3 trips to Browning for repair, new pins, springs, etc. it did not improve on reloads but shoots new shells just fine. I was told that probably some of my reloads have the bases slightly dished. That is probably true but my KX5 has no problems with my reloads and when it happens on my XT I give the shell to a shooting buddy that is shooting a Kolar and it always fires. Kind of agrevating that I have to only shoot new shells through the XT, just can't count on a consistant shot with reloads. I have shot a lot of Brownings over the years and never had this issue with any other model. If I didn't shoot the gun so well, it would be history.

7. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

suspect your reloads not the gun.

8. Capt. Morgan

Capt. Morgan TS Member

If you measure the distance that the top firing pin protrudes from the receiver, you find that it comes out at least 50% further than the bottom pin. Browning keeps the bottom pin short so it is fully inside the face of the receiver as the shell base reaches it as the gun is closed. But, on my guns at least, it doesn't need to be as short as it was to accomplish this. I had Laurence Pylinski of Cumberland, Virginia turn the shoulders down on a couple of new bottom pins so that they protrude from the receiver about .015"-.020" further (that's about 35%) and I have not had one FTF of any new or reloaded shell since. I can't see a reason why both pins cannot be made to protrude the same distance from the receiver.

Morgan

9. bill2

bill2 Member

Morgan, I removed the stock, took a small pick and pushed the lower pin forward beyond the housing that stops the forward movement of hammer fall. The pin protruded almost twice the length thru the firing pin hole on the shell side of the receiver. So there was no restrictions from sludge or the shoulders of the pin. The pin would go half way thru a primer if it were not for the pin housing stopping the hammer fall. It seems the pin is just not long enough. I took both pins out and very little dirt of residue was found on either. No chips or evidence of wear. Your thoughts and opinion are encouraged and respected. Thanks! Billy

10. Dave P

Dave P TS Supporters TS Supporters

Try Shotgunworld.com, Gunsmithing & Restoration. View Topic "o/u Firing Pin Maintainence-with photos. I think you'll like this, it's ten pages with photos and comments and easy explanations.

11. miketmx

miketmx Well-Known Member

Some years ago I bought some Cheddite primers and they pretty much ate the firing pin on my Citori. I had new firing pins installed and gave up on the Cheddite primers.

12. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

Doubt its the Cheddite primers doing that. I have reloaded over 20,000 rounds with cheddites and shot in a XT. No problems what so ever. On reloads just have to make sure to watch your primer depth.

WesleyB

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.