1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning XT 12 Gauge for skeet and sporting clays?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Shooter-4-Fun, Sep 21, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooter-4-Fun

Shooter-4-Fun TS Member

Greetings to all. I am new to the sport and new to the forum. I have enjoyed shooting trap recently and look forward to improving my game. While I shoot trap regularly I will occasionally shoot skeet and sporting clays. When I purchased my Browning XT my intent was to use the gun for skeet and sporting clays as well. Perhaps the "one gun" pursuit is not practical. I have read mixed opinions as to whether my XT would be suitable for skeet and sporting clays. Some have said the XT is fine as an all around gun while others report fine for skeet but horrible for sporting clays. I could really use some more feedback particular from a regular trap shooter who has "crossed" the gun over into other clay sports. I am too new to the sport to be able to assess whether my missed shots are gun related or shooter related. For example, last week I was shooting a Beretta field model o/u and kept missing shots shooting wobble trap. Another shooter let me shoot his Remington 3200 Trap Gun and I hit four shots in a row. I went back to the Beretta and missed. It if is gun related I would like to know if there are ways to adjust the gun to be more effective. I don't want to develop bad shooting habbits by using a gun not set-up for anything other than dedicated trap. My gun is a 32" Browning XT with adjustable comb and an adjustable recoil pad. I know I must experiment for myself to truly know how the gun performs in other clay sports but having some real life examples could also be helpful. Thanks-

2. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Shooter4fun, One of the nice things about Brownings is that they all shoot about 60/40 pattern. This means 60% of the shot is above the hi-vise sight at the end of the barrel. They are pretty flat shooting as far as shotguns go. This is good for skeet and sporting clays. Just keep the two beads stacked on top of one another pretty tight and your good to go. The 32 inch barrel is great for trap and for sporting clays as well. Most normal shooters will have a bit of a problem swinging that longer barrel for skeet. If your of larger frame person with above normal lower body strengh this will be no problem for you. But other than the barrel lenth for skeet, your XT Trap will be just fine for all 3 shooting styles. You may just have to get used to the longer barrel for skeet. Shoot all three and have fun. After you shoot targets for a few years you will know if you want to shoot something else. It all depends on just how competitive you want to get and in which game you want to do it in. Best of Luck and have fun. Break-em all. Jeff

3. bigclown

bigclown TS Member

Jeff has it 100% correct...just make sure to use the correct chokes for the game involved. I have an XT which works great but measuring the Browning factory chokes indicates they are a little bit more "open" - perhaps anticipating the use of steel shot in them. Check out MPC Sports...Briley chokes are like $18 delivered and they are constructed more in line with the choke designations...ImpCyl, Mod, etc. The XT is truly a good-to-go gun for the games you mentioned. Best Regards, Ed

4. ESMDHokie

ESMDHokie TS Member

if we're talking about the Citori XT Trap, I have the XT Trap Gold. I'm a big guy at 6'7" and 270, hail to the former high school lineman I used to be. I now shoot on the Virginia Tech Clay Target Team (collegiate club sport) and use it for every game: trap, skeet, clays. I have the 32" barrels and went with Briley Spectrum chokes for a middle of the road choke set, cost-wise, to fill in what my Browning IM and 2 Full chokes left out. My trap scores didn't suffer nor have my skeet scores. Shot 3 rounds of sporting on it thus far and based on the locations of the shooting, didn't suffer there either, just my usual problems and inconsistency in other areas. And after having stopped tweaking the comb and butt pad (not for the different games but as a new gun entirely), am happy.

Phil Cathell
    Treasurer, VT Clay Target

5. Shooter-4-Fun

Shooter-4-Fun TS Member

Great feedback from all. My model is the Citori Ultra XT. I will hopefully shoot skeet and trap this week and will report back. I am encouraged to hear that the gun is more versatile than I thought. Hearing it from people with first hand experience makes the information much more credible. Unfortunately, I was never a lineman so I will have to see how the 32" barrels swing for skeet. Fortunately, I have a 28" Ruger Red Label I can fall back on for skeet if the 32" barrels are more swing then I need. Keep the feedback coming as it is always valuable to hear other shooter's first hand experience. Thanks to all who have responded so far.

6. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

My favorite Skeet gun is ,,,, the O/U setup on my XT Unsingle Combo. The 32" barrel set feels like a 30" tube gun! Portly enough to follow through, nimble enough to catch the errant bird.

There are many folks who use their trap gun for Skeet. As long as you know where your gun prints, you will be fine.

I have very high cheek bones, so most guns shoot high for me.

Find out where your gun shoots on paper, use the right chokes, and have fun.

ONE GUN CAN GET IT DONE!

7. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

You will be fine with 32" on American skeet. Might be a little long for International skeet having to start with low gun. I agree with Coach.

8. Shooting Coach

Dear Pete.

After shooting several Brownings, I sold my Krieghoff. For me, the Brownings simply shot and handled as well, IF NOT BETTER. I have high cheek bones, and most guns shoot around 80%. Most Trap guns shoot around 100%. This is not a bad thing.

The Cynergy is indeed a superior firearm with very desirable features and great handling. They are extremely lively without being whippy, and the recoil is simply not there.

There are more and more of these at gunclubs, and they are starting to appear on Olympic clay target fields as well. This says volumes about their handling and pure shootability.

9. hoggy

hoggy TS Member

I got to tell you I owned a XT Trap and a XS Skeet and the XS Skeet is a much better all around gun. It shoots higher than the XT, has a paralell comb and is better suited to all the clay sports. Just my opinion. XT Trap shot 60/40 and XS skeet was higher around 80/20.

10. WesleyB

WesleyB Well-Known Member

hoggy is correct

11. Shooting Coach

The XS Skeet IS a fabulous gun.

12. BDodd

BDodd TS Member

I've not read all the comments so far, but give you this testimonial. My Sporting, Skeet, 5 stand, Wobble, and Trap Doubles gun is all one gun. It is true that I have choke tubes in a 28" barrel set and fixed chokes in the 30" barrels but it is just one gun, a Trap over/under with a straight comb and if fits me well. If I had only the 30" barrels, I'd have that choke tubed and it still would be the only gun for those games. It happens to be an older Krieghoff but that has nothing to do with this. Sporting and Skeet shooters are leaning more and more to 30" barrels, adjustable combs, high ribs, and many of the trick stuff from their Trap cousins. My point is that you should be able to shoot a Browning Trap gun at all the games with choke tubes and all. These games may mystify you for a while - just keep trying, get some local coaching, and don't forget to be having fun....breakemall....Bob Dodd

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning light 12 for shooting skeet

browning xt for sporting

browning xt gun forum
can you use browning xt trap for skeet
other than skeet choke tubes what other for skeet
skeet choke for browning citori xt trap