1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning X-Bolt

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by 22hornet, Dec 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

I'm going to purchase a new rifle and I'm considering the Browning X-Bolt. I'm a lefty and they are available in a wide range of port siders. Does anyone here have an X-Bolt? Any issues or nit picks?

2. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

it is worth it to get one with a Boss

Good rifle

Regards from Iowa

Gene

3. noknock1

noknock1 Active Member

I own one and mine has a very nice factory trigger and does not have a BOSS. Like Gene said, it is a good rifle.

4. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

Son has a X-Bolt in .243 cal. Adjustable trigger, tight groups and a nice looking rifle. Well worth the money. Not sure if it offered in the BOSS system but everyone I've talked to that has a BOSS system says they are just a sales gimmick on a hunting rifle.

5. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I think a new x-bolt will be in the safe soon.

6. CalvinMD

CalvinMD Well-Known Member

I have its predecessor the A-Bolt in stainless synthetic in 270win...with a silver 3x9 Leupold it is truly a sweet rifle..accurate and rugged..the X is barely any different

7. jsteenson

jsteenson Member

You need a big hand. they have a psitol grip for a catcher's mitt.

8. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Like CalvinMD I have the A bolt with the 3-9 Leupold, as do 2 of my hunting partners. All 3 of us have the Stainless Stalkers with the only difference is mine is in left hand. The 1 thing I did find was that all 3 of these guns shoot much better with a "beefed up" handload. To get the accuracy we wanted, I have these loaded up to about 2975 fps. with 150 gr. bullets. 1" or less groups out of all 3. Another local bought 1 like ours after seeing how ours performed only he has the boss. I found the same preference for our hot load with his gun also, only with less recoil. I just don't like what the boss does to the sleek lines of the gun but it does soften the recoil. Our other 3 guns can be rather brutal with this load off the bench.

We have all hunted our entire lives with a variety of different rifles between the 3 of us & all of us agrees that these guns are, by far, the smoothest & fastest pointing rifles we have ever used. Wished I had it 40 years ago! I suspect you will find the X-bolt to be very similar. Good luck!

9. CalvinMD

Im the same Bob G...dont like the way the boss looks although its really functional from what I've seen....Mine loves the Federal blue box and Premium factory loads and is a one holer with my handload of 58.5 of H4831 pushing a Nosler B-tip 130gr..it chronos at nearly 3100fps and nothing I have taken with it has every managed a second step

10. Bob Griffith

Bob Griffith Member

Calvin,

My load is 53 gr. of IMR 4064 over a Hornady 150 BTSP and you are correct about knock down power. Nasty things when they hit. I had a couple hit the 3000 fps mark but generally run 2970-2990. I have a friend that keeps telling me to try this or that, etc. The 4 of us that use this handload all agree, it ain't broken so I am NOT going to fix it! If it gets to where I can't get 1 of the components, then fine, I shall try something else. In the meantime, we just keep piling up the venison! Merry Christmas!

11. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

The Boss - particurally if you dont handload is the only real way to tune your gun for accuracy

It can make your gun a "custom gunsmithed and accurized" gun right out of the box.

It does change the recoil sensation significantly with the faster calibers.

So make your choice- I would argue that there is nothing classic about the lines of a rifle in a plastic stock anyway- kind of like eating a donut and drinking a diet soft drink at the same time?

Regards from Iowa

Gene

12. CalvinMD

HI Gene!!long time no talk to...I guess I'm still traumatized by my first polychoked mossberg bolt 12ga....when modern internal choke tubes came out I fell in love..anything on the end of a barrel makes me cringe....but yup them Bosses do work good...Merry Christmas to all!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.