1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BROWNING versus SKB

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by lewis singleton, Dec 29, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lewis singleton

lewis singleton TS Member

Hi somebody ask me a question about SKB 85TSS combo set 34/30 adjustable
    monte carlo stock and adjstable rib compared to BROWNING X/T TRAP combo set 34/30 adjustable monte carlo stock.I did'nt know what tell them. Can any one help with this question thanks lewis singleton

2. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

What exactly is the question. Mark R.

3. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

I have only seen 1 skb, jr shooter. He let me try it. I liked it seemed like a nice gun. They run about the same money. both have a SRP of about 4k? I have been turned to the new cynergy trap combo, not that I will buy one just eyes have turned. Handle them both shoot if possible. Every XT I put up to my shoulder just felt right. Thats why I have one. Some good looking guns SKB

4. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=SKB-Female-Ad-280.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Yup good looking guns, I tell my wife all she needs get one of them combos, see what it can do.

5. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Both are nice guns. The SKB has a better adjustable comb,and I question the strenght of the Browning adjustable rib. There are some great buys out there on SKB85TSS models right now. Mark R.

6. maclellan1911

maclellan1911 TS Member

<a href="http://s160.photobucket.com/albums/t196/jrm7800/?action=view&current=DSC03519aa.jpg" target="_blank">[​IMG]</a> Try silver dollar . com hes got some

7. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

In comparison, the SKB has a better rib, the receiver has a greener type crossbolt lockup that will not wear out like the Browning. Service for the SKB is outstanding. If you have to send your Browning back for service be prepared to wait.The comb adj. hardware is well built and easy to adjust unlike the Browning. A lot of people will look down on the SKB as inferior to the Browning but the SKB will outlast the Browning.
    Mike Battista

8. emm2

emm2 Member

Mike is totally on crack. Brownings are a tank of a gun. The comb hardware is junk but the guns just keep on shooting without breaking down. My shooting partner has an SKB 85tss sporting clays gun that both barrels bulged within the first 1000 rounds. SKB did fix the gun for $350 shipping to Japan and 5 months later. Now he's scared to shoot the gun. shane

9. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Shane, Just who did your friend buy this SKB from. I have never heard of this problem with a SKB before. I have only heard how great the service is on these guns. I would like to know because I am thinking of buying one myself and would like to stay away from this dealer. Was he reloading his own shells?? Thank You in advance. Break-em all. Jeff

10. likes-to-shoot

likes-to-shoot Well-Known Member

I've got the Browning XT combo. I bought the Monte Carlo stock and had Greg Hissem cut and install his adjustable comb hardware. Better quality and cheaper that Browning's.

A shooting friend bought his wife a SKB combo last year and after she got it to fit it improved her average. He has shot it and kind of wishs he got one also. He currently shoots a XT.

As far as I'm concerned the debate between Browning and SKB is like a debate between Ford and Chevy etc. etc.

Both are decent guns.

Bill

11. emm2

emm2 Member

Pull and Mark, He bought the gun new in Omaha NE and took it back to them to get it repaired. I guess there is a big SKB dealer up there. They told him that the repair would be free but SKB wanted to send it back to Japan for testing of why it bulged both barrels so it cost him $350 for shipping to and from Japan. Supposedly the repair was done in a month but the rest of the 5 months the gun sat in customs for some reason. He refers to it as his Chrysler. A good buy initially but no resale value. Shane

12. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Guns Unlimited is the importer of SKB's

Gene

13. Pull & Mark

Pull & Mark Well-Known Member

Thank You for the info Shane, I still find it hard to believe that SKB made the customer pay shipping both ways instead of giving him a new barrel for a gun that was less than a year old. I do know about the long wait for customs as well. The 3 or 4 months in customs is about right. It sits a few weeks at each one, ours and theirs, both places each way. I think it has to do to make sure if any small animals or insects get in box they die before they enter a new country. As far as resale, your right its like buying that high dollar L name trap gun, buy it used to start with.Break-em all. Jeff

14. 4andy10

4andy10 Member

Is this a joke? I've had an Skb 685 trap gun what a piece of junk. Service you say. Shot the skb for 1 yr. and it tore up (wouldn't shoot second shot sometimes) I've shot my poor ole browning 4 barrel set since 1994 and it's still going. How much do I shoot it you ask? Lets see, at first i shot 2 leagues on every monday, then 1 on tuesday, practice wed. nite 10 rds. Sat or Sun. another 10. now I'm down to shooting every monday nite, practice on thurs. and if I plan on shooting a tournments I've got a shooting buddy were we shot up to 12 rds. on wed. evening. You be the judge of Browning or Skb. Worst trade I ever made was trading my Browning Citori Plus w/30 bbl. even for that stupid skb. HOw'd i shoot it you ask. 1st six weeks in league w/Browning I was clean. after trade I couldn't hit a barn door. my average dropped to 23.26 my first year of shooting trap. Someone please kick me in the rear.
    keith

15. FRANKB

FRANKB TS Member

From my recent experience, and bad luck you can get a lemon with either gun.

I got an SKB 85sts in June. It It patterned 10 inches left. I sent it back to SKB and waited 3 weeks for them to take 2 hours to pattern it. They then offered me an option of sending it to Japan for 5 months or paying $300 to upgrade to the newer 85TRR; the only difference is the rib is tapered, and it shoots to POI. I do like the gun and am shooting it well, but am doing pad and grip modifications to improve comfort and fit.

On the Browning side we had a Cynergy Sporting come in to the shop where I work, with the trigger group frozen up after 125 rounds.

Go figure.

16. Big Al 29

Big Al 29 TS Member

Are you kidding???

SKB is junk compared to Browning.

17. glenn mcleod

glenn mcleod Member

Friend of mine shoots his SKB very well but he has more airmiles on it than a traveling salesman. First the trigger wouldn't fire the 2nd barrel, than the rib came loose, than the barrels came apart than the triggers gave him problems again. Guns unlimited has backed every repair but finally told him to trade it in because he shoots too many shells for a SKB.?? Glenn

18. PLTT

PLTT TS Member

Some very interesting comments made about SKB. In my experience with over 40,000 rounds shot I have had to replace the trigger spring and a sear spring. Not bad and SKB service is second to none. Mark R.

19. 22hornet

22hornet Well-Known Member

10000 rounds through my SKB...nary a hiccup. 2 ftf's in a sporting clays shoot; operator error due to a case of the nerves. The gun, however, has been trouble free.

20. senior smoke

senior smoke Well-Known Member

Hello:
    i have friends that own both guns. two skb owners have said they shoot well, but have had numerous problems. one of the guns is in the shop more than a fiat automobile. a local gun shop owner told me, in his opinion, the skb is a league shooters gun. he said they will not hold up to tournament shooting if you shoot alot of rounds. on the other hand, the browning owners have had good luck with them. one can shoot it well, the other not so good and he got rid of it. to be honest, both guns are better than what i shoot. i would'nt mind owning either one, especially since i dont shoot much anymore.
    good luck,
    steve balistreri

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

skb or browning