1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning unsingle trigger question

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Cooper, May 28, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Cooper

Cooper TS Member

My June issue NRA magazine has a little review on page 52 of Brownings unsingle trap gun. One of the features they mention is the "reverse striker ignition system". What the heck is that? It sounds like they are reviewing a black powder gun. Can someone please educate me as to what this means?
    Thanks, Cooper

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

You are describing the Cynergy ignition system. The hammers swing to the rear, hit a fulcrum, which imparts a tremendous strike to the firing pin. I say tremendous because my Cynergy will relibly ignite primers my Citoris and K-80's do not like.

The Cynergy has a crisp mechanical trigger system. It is a LOT of gun for the money.

3. Shooting Coach

Dear Daddy

Does your friend have the XT Unsingle Combo?

4. Shooting Coach

Typically, these guns have the latest lower firing pin (B1334157, IIRC), and good mainsprings.

One might try the Wolff Gunspring Extra Power Hammer Spring. The Wolff may be ordered off their site, and the number is 30217. Only the bottom barrel seems to have this issue, and I would install the big spring on the right side. Save the other spring for the next annual, when the firing pin may need replacing as well. Put the old Wolff spring on the left hammer, and the new one on the right. The mainspring struts should be polished as well. Use only high quality gun oil inside the receiver.

Brownell's also has it under # 969-000-161.

While I had the stock off, I would remove the firing pins, (drive retaining pins right to left, and re install in same position), remove firing pins, and polish them with steel wool or ScotchBrite.

Use Brake Cleaner to degrease and remove old grease and carbon. Get the goop out of the firing pin channels. Due to the design of the arm, only the bottom barrel requires a firing pin return spring.

Sometimes, the trigger pin is a loose fit, and may be lost when the stock is off. My fix is to partially push it out, right to left, and squeeze it on the end with Vice Grips. Then, tap it back in place.

These guns are faithful to John Browning's original design, and the inertial trigger is from Val Browning. This design dates from the 1920's, and is an elegant, straight forward and simple design.

BTW, my K-80 does not like the Nobel primer. My Citoris, with the above procedure performed on them, are reliable with this economical, but hard primer.

5. halfmile

halfmile Well-Known Member

Shooting Coach is right on here. Citoris are notorious for bottom barrel misfires. Cleaning the channel is often overlooked, and also you should inspect the business end of the firing pin. A teeny star shaped crater sometimes develops and misfires increase tenforld.

The engine room does not require much lube, My usual cleaning procedure is gun scrubber or Brakleen, blow with air gun, remove springs and pins. Q-tip down the channels, and a very light spritz with Break Free, which in my mind is the best stuff going.

Cynergys are getting better ( more stock configurations,etc), My pal just got one of the camo jobs and loves it.

HM

6. Shooting Coach

Funny Halfmile should mention the "star" on the tip of the firing pin. That is EXACTLY what it looks like. When you see it, it is time for pins (and springs).

Parts are cheap, and the gun is great.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.