1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Twentyweight value?

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Shooting Jack, Apr 27, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

Have the opportunity to pick up this gun and I would rate it at around 70 pct or maybe a little better. It's in excellent operating condition and bluing is good, wood is very good and barrel looks good. Gold inlay is perfect. It has the high vent rib. What would you rate the value. Thanks Jackie B.

2. rdf59

rdf59 Member

100% = $925
    90% = $575
    70% = $450
    Blue Book of GV 29th ed

3. Shooting Jack

Thanks, my book is about 8 years old so wasn't sure. He offered to sell it to me for $300.00. Think I'll take it. Jackie B.

4. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Shooting Jack, I gave $800 for one that was unfired in the Spring of 2008. My gun does not have the VR, which drives value in this model as only about 20% of the guns had them. If the gun has an open choke, IC or even better skeet, the gun will bring more money. Here is my 20weight.
    Doug

5. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Shooting Jack, if you get the DA, here is a link to a post I did on SGW that shows you how to take the gun apart for cleaning.
    Doug

6. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

If the vent-rib barrel on the gun is in good shape and as Doug said is an open choke, it is worth $300 or more by itself. DA's are reliable guns but I think you should try to shoot the gun if possible before you buy it. Just be aware that extra vent-rib barrels for DA's (particularly Twentyweights) are very hard to find.

DoubleAuto

7. Shooting Jack

Thanks guys for the info. Doug, I appreciate the takedown info. I know how to remove the barrel and that was it. The vent rib is in excellent condition and didn't see the choke markings on the barrel yet but believe it is skeet as you can stick a dime in it and have lots more room. I did get it for $300.00 and after cleaning good I would probably give it at 80 pct. The gold trigger has spots on it and haven't tried to clean it yet but overall I'm proud of it. Will it hold up pretty good for skeet. Oh and there is virtually no wear on the barrel/gun. Thanks again fellas. Jackie B.

8. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Shooting Jack, you got a great deal! The gold comes off of the trigger with use and I wouldn't get too aggressive with cleaning the "spots". It might just be the gold is gone in these areas. I am including a copy of a page from the DA owner's manual that indicates the choke of your gun. You will look for the marks on the barrel above the wood of the forend.
    Doug

9. Shooting Jack

Doug, it has two asterisks and another symbol that I don't have a clue. Barrel length is 26 inches. I'm anxious to try it out at the skeet range. A friend shot it and it cycled and shot fine. Jackie B.

10. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

If it is a **$ set of stamps it has a skeet choke. If it is a **- set of stamps it has an improved cylinder choke. If it is a *** set of stamps it has a cylinder choke. I believe all barrel lengths for the Twentyweight were 26.5 inches.

The Double Auto to me is the finest handling sem-auto shotgun for the field and informal clays that was ever made.

Shoot and enjoy.

DoubleAuto

11. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Here are a couple of DA's for sale at Ken Rucker's shop. The one for $595.00 would make a great shooter. It is a 20weight with VR. The other two guns look very clean.
    Doug

12. Ruck

Ruck Well-Known Member

Thanks, Doug!!

Ken

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning twentyweight

browning twentyweight shotgun
browning twentyweight value
browning twntyweight