1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Twelvette

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by TN Man, Oct 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TN Man

TN Man TS Member

Opinions about Browning Twelvette. Why did Browning make a 2 shot auto?

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

The Browning Double Auto was made at various times in three Models/Weights. The Standard steel receiver gun, the Twelvette with an alloy receiver and the Twentyweight with an alloy receiver and further reduced weight. The DA's are one of the best balanced semi-autos Browning has ever made. Very lively shotguns in the Twelvette and Twentyweight (particularly with plain barrels). DA's make great upland hunting shotguns. The DA's were made with Cylinder, Skeet, Improved Cylinder, Modified and Full fixed chokes (may have been made in more choke choices but these are the ones I have). It was made with plain barrels, vent-rib barrels and a unique solid rib with a recessed channel. Black and Grey colored receivers are the most common. However, the DA receivers were made in many other colors (including many that were only made in as experimental colors). A few 20 gauge experimental DA shotguns were made but the guns never went into production.

The DA was invented by Val Browning, son of John Browning.

DoubleAuto

3. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

DoubleAuto, you forgot to tell them about the trap model. Glenn Allison

4. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

I knew that there was a trap model but have never seen one. Thought I would leave details like that to the DA experts on here who know a lot more about them than I do.

DoubleAuto

5. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

I don't think that is possible.Glenn Allison

6. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Sorry about that, I have the wrong double auto. Glenn Allison

7. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Double Auto, Grocery Guy didn't read the user name very well. He thought Dbl Auto was fishing for somebody to talk about his favorite shotgun.

But since somebody did ask, I'll tell you about some of mine.

Doug Allison

8. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Here is a 1971 last year flat knob DA with the diamond post VR.

Doug Allison

9. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

20wt.

Doug Allison

10. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

That's the Dbl Auto I know. Are you going to show him the Trap Model. Glenn Allison

11. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

The cool recessed rib on the early guns.
    Doug Allison

12. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

The only thing that makes a DA trap gun is the stock. It had a higher comb as you would expect. This one is from 1960ish.
    Doug Allison

13. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

Here is Grocery Guy in the early 70's with that DA trap gun in Iowa looking for Pheasants.
    Doug Allison

14. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

About 67,000 were made in all. The gun has a cult following and they are very collectable in the unique colors. They are best used IMO in the uplands. As stated before, I don't use many magnum loads in mine as I don't want to tear them up. That trap model shown above has had many, many, thousands of rounds including some big ones ran through it. I do have a beat silver DA that sports a rifled slug bbl for deer. It kicks like a mule and I have yet to shoot it at an actual deer, maybe this year? They are very dependalbe and parts are still available. Art at www.artsgunshop.com can fix them. Black and Grey DA's can be had for $400-$600. One just sold in a LGS for $390 and was in average condition but was functional.
    Doug Allison

15. SMOKEIT

SMOKEIT Well-Known Member

A friend that I hunted Quail with had one and he could shoot hell out of Quail with it==very fast handling...SMOKIT

16. Shooting Jack

Shooting Jack Active Member

I bought one very cheap, with a skeet barrel and shot a 97 with it the very first time I used it. I almost didn't but it because the barrel was so thin but Dbl Auto talked me into it(It didn't take much urging). I've always been fond of 1100's and 390's but can understand why folks like the twelvette. Jackie B.

17. William681

William681 Member

I bought a Trap model Twelvette in 1964.
    I loved it, easy recoil, never failed, however, the "chrome" lined bbl rang like a bell after every shot, and the ejected hull almost always hit the shooter to my right square in his (or her) temple, did not make many friends that way.
    Never had an auto-loader throw a spent hull as far as that Browning did.
    Would have kept it if I could have found a shell catcher to fit that worked.
    Sold it at a nice profit and bought a NM Garand. Shot a lot of DCM with it, but now I use the Garand once and a while at 3 gun shoots, don't win much but the roar and the clang of the enblock clip ejecting is a hoot. Love the look of disaproval from the piss-ant AR frame .223 shooters. Man up boys, take a little recoil, I think I need an M1A next.

Bill Boston

18. Dbl Auto

Dbl Auto Active Member

The DA with a VR does have a distinctive sound when fired.
    Bill, was your DA trap a black receiver gun?
    Doug Allison

19. GROCERY GUY

GROCERY GUY Member

Dad would be pleased to know what a monster I have created. He loved that gun.
    It has many more thousands in it. Glenn Allison ps I never could beat him with it or any other shotgun.

20. Dr.Longshot

Dr.Longshot Banned Banned

We used to have a Chairshooter that shot a Twelvette and was qute good with it, and it was a Trap Model. Shot at the Marysville Ohio Gun Club that is now closed.

Gary Bryant
    Dr.longshot

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning 12 ga double auto parts
browning 2 shot twelvette
browning double auto twelvette

browning twelvette

browning twelvette for sale

browning twelvette shotgun
browning twelvette value