1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BROWNING SUPERPOSED QUESTIONS

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Kim Z., Apr 26, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kim Z.

Kim Z. Member

I recently bought a 1964 Browning Superposed with 3"/magnum chambers. It is beautifully made and still locks up tight. Questions:

1. I had the gun professionally cleaned when I got it, but the trigger pull is a hefty 9 lbs. The shop told me that these guns don't really have adjustable triggers. Are these guys full of balony? Can the trigger be adjusted?

2. Why don't all shotguns have 3" chambers? Wouldn't this provide more options for different types/lengths of shells?

3. What difference does it make to shoot shorter shells in 3" chambers?

4. Is my Superposed "Magnum" worth more than a Superposed with shorter chambers?

5. I see a bunch of fancy "boutique" guns on the trap field. Has the Superposed lost its popularity?

6. Why are Superposed guns with calibers other than the practical 12 ga. so darned expensive?

Thanks for your expertise, guys,

Kim

2. cpd544

cpd544 Member

I shoot trap with a Broadway Superposed almost every week and love it. They were one of the best in their day and still have a loyal following. Don't have an answer for the 3" chambers and don't see people using 3" shells for trap but I guess if you wanted to go duck hunting it would be good. I never heard of a Browning with a 9lb trigger, it makes me wonder if something in the trigger needs work. There is a web site named artsgunshop.com, they are one of the best repair shops for Brownings and might be able to answer your trigger question. Also there are a lot of people on this site that know a heck of a lot more than me about them and you can get more opinions. I think your question about "other than 12 guage" prices have a lot to do with how many were made and the engraving on some such as Diana grade etc. Not sure if any of that helps.
    Jim

3. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

The dedicated target guns were typically "Lightnings" (at least in later versions... any help here?), such as the Superposed Trap and/or Skeet varieties... There is no requirement that one is limited to a 2-3/4" chamber to shoot Trap, just that you limit shot weight, size and velocity...

Sub-gauge guns were produced in much fewer quantities...

regards all,

Jay

4. Crunch

Crunch Member

Bruce Buck was/is a huge fan of the 30" Superposed and did quite a bit of work with them to create the "the answer" to the world's best sporting clays gun question. He had Briley machine out his carrier barrels to the thickness of a business card to perfectly match the weight when tubes were in place. Bruce Buck, writer of 'The Shotgun Report' and known as the "technoid" thought the Superposed was a great shotgun, even superior to the common "letter" guns".
    Yes, I think the Super has lost it's popularity for some reason. Like the Model 12 they are still great guns but have been replaced by the latest greatest guns to come along. I think their marketing approach was more to hunters than competition shooters.

5. Perazzi_MX8

Perazzi_MX8 Well-Known Member

The invention and requirement to shoot steel shot for water-foul hunting is what drove the price and popularity of the Browning Superposed down along with countless other shotguns. Browning sold mostly hunting guns but they were not steel shot compatible. The Trap and Skeet guns were not affected but as the price was driven down they suffered as well. I still believe the Superposed was John Brownings finest design. He died while working on it and his son finished it for him and gave the world the finest O/U shotgun of it's time. It has always been expensive to build and to have parts fitted by highly skilled workers in Belgium. The salt-cured wood that Browning bought and put on many beautiful guns was the final death sentence for the Superposed's popularity.

Today with modern C.N.C. equipment capable of holding tight tolerances most guns are capable of swapping out parts with no hand fitting required. The reason they were made with 2 3/4" chambers is because 3" much less 3 1/2" were not made then. Now-days most Trap & Skeet guns are chambered for 2 3/4" because it's the ammo used for them.

When it comes to quality shotguns the smaller gauges always command a higher price. There are less made and, if scaled down for the smaller cartridges, they are a joy to carry and shoot. Hunting Doves with a 28 Ga. in a quality O/U is something everyone should try. I have a Citori with 26" barrels and fixed chokes only because I can't afford the Perazzi MX28. I'm just 6 numbers on a Lottery ticket away from owning one. I always have an eye out looking for a used one to pop up.

The Browning Superposed is "Old School" but were the rage back in their day and can still break them all. They will last more than a lifetime and in capable hands are still among the most competitive out there.

6. teddy34

teddy34 TS Member

I would send your gun to Philip Crenwelge, he has worked on 2 of my Superposed.
    Gary

7. billyboy07208

billyboy07208 Member

Is a Citori considered a Superposed action??

8. Hap MecTweaks

Hap MecTweaks Well-Known Member

The term "superposed" means one over the top of the other. John Browning was the first to hang the term on his O/Us. Yes, your Citori gun is superposed in one sense but not in the Browning meaning.

Hap

9. philk

philk Member

9 lbs seems really excessive, different gun I know but my 20 Ga superposed superlight breaks both barrels at 4 1/4 lbs using a crummy RCBS scale.

10. Doug Brown

Doug Brown Well-Known Member

The 3" guns were/are way to heavy to carry hunting.

11. JONNY D

JONNY D TS Member

i got two, a high grade D5 and a A1 you can have your triggers any how you like if you want 3lb or 5lb just get a good gunsmith to set them as they wear though they will get harder to pull, ive got release/release in mine with 5lb pull 2lb release that are evey bit as good as my k80 and breaks clays just as well to.
    jonnyd

12. Dickgshot

Dickgshot Well-Known Member

The short answer is that the popularity in the 70's of the relatively new Perazzi's pretty well pushed the Browning Superposed out of the picture.

13. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

The normal Browning Superposed triggers are not great but 9 pounds is way too heavy. Many gunsmiths will be able to get them to 3.5 pounds for about $100.00 to $150.00

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1970 browning superposed magnum

browning superposed forum

browning superposed magnum

browning superposed rust
browning superposed shotgun forum
bruce buck clay shooting usa older superposed shotguns
when were the superposed shotguns made with upgraded barrels to handle steel shot
why do chambers rust in browning superposed