1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Stock Finish Repair

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by Trap Nut, Aug 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Trap Nut

Trap Nut TS Member

Can anyone recommend a good way to repair minor scratches and dings on a Browning stock with high gloss finish, without completely stripping and refinishing? The finish turns white every time the least blemish is created. I need to get rid of the white and refinish the spots with something that matches the original clear finish if that is possible.

Thanks.

2. captin

captin TS Member

All the high gloss Brownings I have dealt with has a pretty tuff and hard finish. The scratch turns white I think cause the finish dry so hard.

If it is not scratched all the way through the finish down to the wood, you might be able to wet sand it with 1500 or 2000 grit sand paper till you get almost all the scratchs out. Then polish..

BE careful not to sand all the way through the finish. Do not put much pressure on the paper and use a very small piece of paper and keep it wet with water,,,if you don't use water and keep it wet the fine grit paper will stop up ..

Sand a little then polish, sand a little then polish it with a fine compound like you use on cars to remove a minor scratch.

Turtle Wax makes a pretty good fine polish that is white and comes in a black bottle. You can find it at Auto Zone or mabe most other car parts places.

Hope this helps

captin

3. Trap Nut

Trap Nut TS Member

Captin:

I've had some limited luck with the method you are suggesting. I'm afraid the latest ding is going to take a little more work, like touch-up work.

Thanks

4. captin

captin TS Member

Yep, you can sometimes deal with a scratch like that , But a ding is different. The times I did a ding I just mixed up a very small arount of two part epoxie clear (automotive clear) and used a art bruch to dab and fill the ding a little above the level surface let it dry over night and then did the sanding and polish I said above.

Still not invisible. but looks better than the ding. The automotive clear can not be bought in very small amounts (I don't think) and unless you use it for doing other work you are stuck with it and it does have a shelf life. Too costly to buy just to do a couple dings. And once mixed must be used in an hour or less.

The only way I know to raise the ding up all the way is with heat.but you most times have to take all the finish off before the heat will work and then if you try it without taking off all the finish most times the finish around the ding gets too hot and mars or clouds up.

Most of the time I tell who ever it is best to live with the ding until winter or shooting falls off and then refinish the whole thing.

captin

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning gun stock finish removal

browning stock finish repair

browning stock refinish
high gloss gunstock finish repair
how to polish browning stock
how to removing browning finish on stock
how to repair browning gloss finished stock
what finish is on a browning stock