1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.

browning special trap will not close

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by hangn7, Jun 18, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

I have a browning special trap over under that will not close. Less than 1000 rounds through the gun. I have not seen the gun yet but I am looking for ideas as to what might be wrong. Give me your ideas. Thank you Mark Peterson
  2. oleolliedawg

oleolliedawg Active Member

This will probably be easy. There's a piece of shot or brass behind the ejector or on top of the rail where the barrel joins the receiver top. Most likely behind the ejector. It's quite common and very hard to spot as it's likely flattened. Look close!!
  3. oleolliedawg

This will probably be easy. There's a piece of shot or brass behind the ejector or on top of the rail where the barrel joins the receiver top. Most likely behind the ejector. It's quite common and very hard to spot as it's likely flattened. Look close!!
  4. fnj682

fnj682 Member

I second the piece of shot. If not found where mentioned, don't forget to look under the hinge pin or on other mating surfaces. As mentioned, it might be hard to see as it can get pretty flat.
  5. Jon Reitz

Jon Reitz Active Member

oleolliedawg,

You must be an expert on these Browning Special Trap guns. Got any for sale?
  6. stokinpls

stokinpls Active Member

The piece of shot will be mashed completely flat and may not be easy to see either, but it will stop the closing of the gun cold.

I have also had an ejector rod jump out of place in the forend (I was trying some light springs to turn it into an extractor) and it had the same symptoms. Good luck.
  7. halfmile

halfmile Active Member

Shooting Federal papers you soon learned that a sliver of brass under the ejector would create the problem.

Slim blade pocket knife is all you need.

HM
  8. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thank you I will check all the surfaces when I see the gun. I have two of them and this is my back up. All the shells used are factory loads so I am unsure where the lead shot may have come from but stranger things have happened before. Mark
  9. oleolliedawg

Jon, you must know somehow I've got two for sale.

New Brownings have very sharp ejector surfaces and will on occasion shave some brass. It's there-look again!!
  10. Stl Flyn

Stl Flyn Active Member

I have seen shot mashed under the cocking arm in the bottom of the receiver also. I don't know how they get there but they seem to in the Citori's. Could also be powder build-up. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to take much to stop the breech from closing, when something gets down in the receiver.
  11. beaker100

beaker100 Member

hi hang, you can also check the cocking lever lifter located on the bottom of the bbl about 3 inches forward from the breech.

the cocking lever lifter is spring loaded and sometimes it gets fowling in the mechinism and does not spring fully forward under spring pressure.

try pushing the cocking lever lifter forward and back and see if it is moving freely. a little oil while you are moving it might clean it out a little and allow it move fully forward then the bbl can be installed on the reciever.

doug hubbart gunsmith (573)286-9905
  12. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thank you again for all your ideas. Will be checking it out tomorrow afternoon. Will let you know what I find if I can see it or at least what I was checking when it went back to working. Mark
  13. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Ok This is what I found. On the pivot lug on the bottom of the barrel is a spring loaded slide. Its about 1 inch long, 1/4 inch wide and 1/8 inch thick. This is very tight and will not move very easy. Plan to remove a small roll pin and see if the spring is broken or if it is galling. Did put some lube on it and move it a little. Any thoughts or ideas as what caused this. Was working when we took it apart and was stuck when they tried to put it back together. Thank you all. Mark
  14. Oregunner

Oregunner Well-Known Member

We had this happen to a shooter's Browning trap gun at the club. This piece needs to be kept lubed. Once I lubed it and freed it back up, everything worked fine. I haven't had one apart. Mark (good name!)
  15. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Gary, Thank you for the input. While it is true its not the case here. Thank you all for your ideas and imput. It helped me and others learn more about the brownings. Knowing more is good. Thanks again. Mark
  16. beaker100

beaker100 Member

the reason i always check the cocking lever lifter for sticking when a customer is having problems assembling there citori is i have found many times, on new guns, that browning has left metal shavings and debris during the manufacturing process in this area.

i would not say that the only reason that the cocking lever lifter sticks is poor maintaince. doug hubbart gunsmith
  17. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Thank you all again. Lack of lube is or was not the issue. The gun is lubed before its put together. I have been around equipment all my life as that is what I do for a living. Thanks again. Mark
  18. hangn7

hangn7 TS Member

Well I took the gun apart. The sliding lock ? piece was bent like a banana so it would not slide. Removed it and taped it with a hammer and a large faced punch and its now straight and working smooth. There was grease on the spring and the slide grooves. Not sure how it got bent as I was not the one putting it together but I think that was when it happened. I cannot be sure. Again thank you all for your suggestions and advice. Because of you I am a wiser person. Mark
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.