1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Special Trap VS Special Sport Clays

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by almost unemployed, Mar 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. almost unemployed

almost unemployed TS Member

What is the real difference in these guns? I am referring to the Citori O/U models with the gold name on the side of the receiver, not the autos. From the pictures I have seen, they look alike except for the name. Please explain. For reference see the picture on GunBroker link.

2. ljuticsscentennialpro

ljuticsscentennialpro Member

There are alot of differences, but it really depends on what games you want to shoot. The Lightning will be a flatter shooting gun with a lower rib, straight stock, round knob grip, shorter barrels(28-30"), lighter weight for sporting clays games. The Special Trap has longer barrels(30-32"), higher rib, monte carlo stock with regular pistol grip, heavier weight, for higher point of impact for rising trap birds. They are very different guns.

3. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

The one pictured is a Lightning which is I am not mistaken has no palm swell and round knob grip. It was offered with flat and high post ribs in both 28 and 30 inch. In addition to this model, there is also a Special Sporting Clays which came with both a flat and high post rib barrels in length of 28 and 30 inches as well as a straight target stock with palm swell. The Special Trap featured a Monte Carlo stock with palm swell and step rib barrel in lengths of 30 and 32 inches. As stated above, the models each increased in weight as you went from Lightning to Special Sporting to Special Trap models. Great guns and normally can be found for good prices.

4. Justin L.

Justin L. Member

benniesdad,

I don't think they had palm swells, I know my Special Trap does not. But I could be wrong on the others, haven't handled too many of them.

5. benniesdad

benniesdad TS Member

My Special Sporting has one, as does a Special Trap a friend had. I just checked and the Indiana Gun Club is showing one that has a straight trap stock vs. Monte Carlo. I give up. Guess they offered both at the time.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.