1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Special Trap trigger

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Jimborn, Jan 4, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

What would it entail to have the trigger on my special trap worked on??? I have not "weighed" it, but it seems quite heavy. If it is workable, who does that stuff?? Thanks

2. Wentez

Wentez Member

This is a factory pull trigger and you want to improve the trigger pull - right?

Lots of good gunsmiths. Where are you located? Phillip Krenwelge is great on releases and pull triggers. Spears is good on Browning releases - has gotten a little behind on some of his work lately - he could probably do it. I am sure there are lots of trigger smiths that people would recommend if they knew whare you are.

Geo

3. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Why not remove the stock, degrease the receiver with brake cleaner, and properly lube it first? While you have the stock off, you can pull the firing pins, check them for wear, and clean out the firing pin channels.

Lubing the gun will improve the feel of the triggers. The slack in them is there for a reason. Leave them alone. This from an old Browning factory trained gunsmith-your truly!

4. Beancounter

Beancounter TS Member

"The slack is there for a reason" - is there any harm in disclosing exactly what that reason might be?

If you have not wieghed the current pull, you will be unable to provide information to a gunsmith you might employ to lighten that trigger pull. Browning trigger pulls are usually 4-5 lbs. That is not a bad number either. Lighter pulls can lead to flinching and can be dangerous as well.

5. Shooting Coach

If a little bit of powder residue gets into the action and winds up under the trigger it will still reset. The few times I have seen a Browning fail to reset was when quite a bit of powder residue got into the action of a neglected firearm.

A good degreasing, blowing out the receiver with solvent and compressed air, and proper lubrication will take care of most problems.

One thing to think about. Sometimes the trigger pin is loose in the frame. I pull it halfway out and squeeze it with Vise Grips, just enough to insure a tight fit.

The Citori IS a superior design, and gives excellent service on the range, and generally a lifetime of service in the field. Proper service is the key to any firearm being a pleasure to shoot and not a problem.

6. Jimborn

Jimborn TS Member

Thanks people. The gun has approx. 5 flats shot through it. I bought it as a demo gun. The trigger is crisp.....but it seems a little heavy. I shoot the gun well ( AA 27 AA ) but just thought maybe could do better with a tuned trigger. (As trapshooters are, always looking for the extra target) Watched the Kiner DVD ond found he does shoot a light trigger....but it is a release. If I had a release...the trapshouse would have #8's all over it. Thanks for any help. Jim Bornschlegl Mitchell, Nebraska

7. Shooting Coach

A lighter trigger can cause problems as well, both for the shooter and the gun.

The gun can double, which is no fun on dubs, and a very light trigger can give you the "yips". This is where you touch the trigger with the finger, but not hard eough to fire the gun. Many folks have this problem. This is NOT a flinch.

It is signifigant to note that I have NEVER "yipped" my Cynergy backup gun, but in the past had a real problem with my K-80. I beat the problem with self hypnosis and more finger in the trigger.

I had considered going to a release, but I also perform defensive firearms instruction. I do NOT want to "set" a trigger on a sidearm in front of a class during a demonstration!

Save your money. Buy more ammo and targets. At your level, you might treat yourself to a one-on-one with a top end trainer. Other than that, you might get a bud to video you during a round. If you are AA-27-AA, you will likely spot any glitches in your technique. It is hard to see what you are doing with your head on the stock! LOL

8. Phil E

Phil E TS Member

I agree with HaveGun, Jim, get a trigger-pull gauge & see what they are. The triggers in my favorite Brownings were very nice but, like yours, just a tad heavier than I wanted. Phillip Crenwelge did a wonderful job of lightening them a touch, just enough, and years later I'm still delighted with them. You can see Phillip's ad in the thread called "? P&P Gunsmiths" posted today. Phil E

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.