1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Service

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by snglfoot, Feb 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

With all the negative response about Browning service,,,I have to give them a "Plus",,They received my XT, Feb. 9, repaired and sent it back to me on the Feb. 19,,9 working days,,I will be shooting it tomorrow to check the repair. That is 23 days out of my hands,,it took it longer in transit than to repair it.
    Norman

2. hiboost745

hiboost745 TS Member

Doing you better than me. Sent a Euro 325 for rework last July. Called today and was told the gun would not be shipped for at least 2 more months. Reciver was sent to Japan for re-silvering. You would think they would have done that while the gun was in que waiting for the gunsmith.

3. Jim Porter

Jim Porter Well-Known Member

I worked for Mossy Oak for many years. Browning was a licensee to the tune of many millions of dollars. You would think it mattered---it did. I sent my gun back for service and eight months later I could not get a straight answer from anybody. I kept a log of calls and responses for about twenty calls and gave the list to out marketing VP. One call later to their marketing VP and I have my gun back at no charge in about four days.
    Browning service---HA

4. snglfoot

snglfoot Member

Yes, it surprised me too,,,but this was a replacement XT that I broke last July,
    that started out with the same problem this one had (FTF lower barrel). I had talked with them serval times since last Nov. 08, before they sent me a label for shipment, the first of Feb. It worked GOOD Thur., windy and only put 100 rounds through it. Will put another 300 tomorrow (more if I am good enought to get into a shoot-off).
    Norman

5. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

That's great, but here is my experience;

have been without the use of my BT-99 since Jan. 18, 2009 when I sidelined it for having a 28 oz trigger pull; no where near having an answer on this as of Feb. 27/09.

Time line;

Feb. 2007; acquired my new BT-99, had a 64 oz. trigger pull

Jan. 2009; developed a 28 oz trigger pull, (never even had it apart, never mind worked on)

Took the butt stock off, small spring which is not shown in the parts diagrams was found to be broken.

Jan. 22/09; mailed a polite letter to Browning Canada with a photo, basic question was "what is the spring, could it account for the reduced trigger pull weight?", letter had email address, office phone No. etc.

Feb 16/09, no reply, called Browning Canada, person I needed to talk to was not available, got his email, sent email at 09:30 that morning.

Feb 26/09; tired of no reply, phoned, got the following;

- they had the original mailed letter letter and were processing it, a communiction was mailed (I have not received it as of Feb. 27)

- Browning Canada's people are not aware of the different spring in the newer guns. - they cannot tell me if this spring breaking would account for the sudden reduction in trigger weight. They do not know about this part and it's function even though it has been on BT's starting at least in 2005. - they do not have any of these springs in stock in Canada, it will take 4 to 6 weeks for them to get here from the U.S. (I know the 4 to 6 weeks is driven by U.S. export red tape and not Browning's fault)

- they said they would fax something to my fax at work, that was Feb. 26, I have not received anything as of this aft. - they were fairly sympathetic and polite but there was a mention of "it must have been modified...etc." (Which it was not)

Summary;

Allowing two weeks for the snail mail to get to them, so say they got it on Feb. 5, which is conservatively high;

Three weeks without a simple reply to even acknowlege they recived my letter (this could have been done in one line by email to the address I provided).

Even at the best estimate, they will not get the parts until the end of March.

From there I have no idea where this will go, if they send me the parts to put in, it will be here no sooner than mid April.

If they want me to send the gun to Montreal, that will be another story.

At the best, I expect to shoot the BT at the end of April, at the worst, perhaps mid-summer.

Before anyone suggests taking it to a shop, Browning's one authorized gunsmith in Ontario is not familiar with the spring, either, I have already phoned there.

I like the gun well enough but IMHO the back-up here is lacking and while I realize my inquiry isn't the only thing they have to deal with, I have had to wait a relatively long time, coax a reply from them and still don't have the answer to my initial question.

I suspect the spring is;

B1793246 TRIGGER RETURN SPRING ('06)

from;

http://media.browning.com/pdf/parts/2008_browning_parts_pricelist.pdf

But in the absense of any tangible info, that is unconfirmed.

6. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Rem870TB, I have broken several trigger return springs in my BT. It does lighten the trigger pull considerably. The spring is not shown on parts diagrams but the part number is listed and stated as not shown. The spring rests on the rear of the trigger and is fastened to the trigger housing with a screw. The last spring I ordered was made of sheet metal instead of the fine wire they originally used and I think it will last. Most people don't know about it because it's relatively new. I first called Art's Gunshop about it and Art tried to tell me it was an aftermarket part. I ordered it straight from Browning, no problem. It's a simple repair.

7. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Jerry

THANKYOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You are the first person I have encountered who has had some definite info/experience on this; that includes Browning Canada, their authorized shop in Ontario and one of the country's largest "repositories" of Browning gun parts.

I was wondering what the date code was on the gun you encountered this on?

Mine is MV (2005)

Did you measure the trigger weight break/pre-break? Mine was 64 oz, going down to 28 oz.

That little tiny round wire spring is hokey looking (especially in three pieces), it looks like a modified paper clip, only not as robust.

When I saw the set up, I thought a leaf spring might do better in that application.

I don't know why they changed a design that has been proven over 30+ years, I can only assume manufaturing cost may have been the motivation.

8. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Rem870TB , Mine was manufactured early 2004. I think my trigger may have lightned about 2 lbs. I measured it but don't remember the exact change. The wire spring reminds me of a safety pin. The lastest one I got is sheet metal, like a leaf, instead of wire, a little stiffer. If you get the wire spring don't tighen the screw too much. That could mash the spring and weaken it. Don't know why they added it other than for a more positive trigger return. Which would be for safety and liability. My original broke when a rag got caught in it.

9. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

Jerry, thanks, more very interesting stuff.

I will make some comments on your message, in the order you wrote them, in point form to make them easier to read.

Your gun was made in 2004; interesting, the spring has (06) after the part No., Western Gun parts tried to tell me this meant it was for guns made in 2006 and after. The fact your 2004 gun had the spring prooves this idea wrong.

Your trigger went to about 2 pounds; mine went from 4 pounds to 1 1/2 so that sounds pretty close.

"The wire spring reminds me of a safety pin."; yes, it looks pretty light duty, even worse in 3 pieces ;)

The lastest one I got is sheet metal, like a leaf, instead of wire, a little stiffer; funny, I thought when I saw it that a leaf spring might be a better option, sounds like they found that out.

If you get the wire spring don't tighen the screw too much. That could mash the spring and weaken it; I can sure see that from the design. The thing is, mine broke in use before I ever had the gun apart, it looked like it may have been over tightened at B.C. Miroku. IMHO, they have a potential "issue" here, a very lightweight part that can break, unbenounced to the shooter, and drop the trigger pull weight by 50% or more. I think that Browning needs to make that known, the fact they went to a different spring indicates to me there may have been a problem surface, like mine.

As I said, you have been the first good source of info on this subject and have been very helpful in assisting me with starting to get this resolved.

10. Bisi

Bisi TS Member

15 years or so ago I was shooting a BT99 and I ran alot of shells through it, and it was getting loose. I was thinking about it driving it over to the Browning repair center near St. Louis and having it rebuilt. I was at the Grand in Ohio so I went to the Browning building to inquire if I could do this. The Browning rep they put out front to deal with customers didn't even know they had a repair center. Said he never heard of it. I asked him to go ask another rep if he had heard of it and the other said yes they still had the repair center.

I talked to my cousin a few weeks ago. This guy is a big hunter. Well anyway he and a buddy of his purchased new Browning 10 gauge guns for goose hunting. Both of em had trouble with the guns not wanting to cycle the 2 or 3 shell in. Browning told them the gun wasn't designed to work in cold weather. A goose gun that doesn't work in cold weather??? The Browning people must hunt their ducks and geese around the 4th of July.

Saying that tough I have 2 Brownings a BT99 and A5. Both great guns, I should go back and shoot the BT as that is the gun I've put up my best scores.

11. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Rem870TB , My trigger lightened by about 2 lbs, not down to 2 lbs. I think it went to about 3 lbs when the spring broke. I had two wire springs break during use before I got the latest leaf spring.

The "06" you see is, I think, a revision number. It used to be "01". The part number has also changed. I assume you will get the leaf type spring.

We may be the only people who know they have had a problem with it. I'm surprised at the number of people who have never had the stock off their gun, and they shoot in the rain too.

12. Rem870TB

Rem870TB Active Member

OK, I asssumed (something that shouldn't be done) yours was like mine, which was 4 pounds, even, sounds like yours came origninally with a bit heacier weight than mine.

Your explainantion makes sense to me on the (06). Sounds like the leaf spring is the only one worth having.

I can't believe we are the only ones that have broken these, perhaps there's a few owners of these guns walikng around with lighter than specified triggers and don't know it. Funny Browning is not more concerned about this because if what a guy at the club claims is true, he was told be Browning service people at the Grand, they would not let a trigger go out of their service below 3 1/2 pounds. Mine went from 4 pounds to 1 1/2, by itself, you would think that would be a concern to them?

As for the rain thing, a few years ago, while he was still in business, I used to go to an excellent "stock wizard". One time he showed me an older Miroku o/u he was reparing a broke stock on. The metal finish on it was like new on the outside; the inside looked like it had been subjected to a light spray od salt water :(

13. JerryP

JerryP Active Member

Browning specifies 4-5 lbs on the BT according to the Browning BT Field Repair Manual. Mine was originally close to 5 lbs. It has been lightened to 3 3/4. Browning wouldn't be happy.

14. sakoboomer

sakoboomer TS Member

I have an XT that had trigger problems. The trigger would work fine then get very hard to pull. You did not know from one shot to the next weather it was going to fire normally or get very hard to pull or not pull at all.

I have snt mine off to Heritage gun smiths in Centerburg OHIO. When I talked to Jim he said they have heard of this problem before.

I am hoping to get it back soon. As soon as Al Gore's global warming kicks in I will be out there testing it out, the glacier has not melted here in Wyoming yet!!!!

Stay tunned!!!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.