1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Service - or lack thereof

Discussion in 'Off Topic Threads' started by amboy49, Dec 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. amboy49

amboy49 Well-Known Member

Thought I would vent and share at the same time.

I recently purchased a new in the box ( unfired ) Browning Model 12 in 20 gauge. From the first shell I experienced feeding problems so I called Browning. After listening to my explanation of the problem, the person answering the phone in the service department at Browning instructed me to send it to them since they had no authorized Browning repair firm in Indiana.

I boxed the gun up and sent it to them. I just recieved an email informing me they no longer work on this model gun but would be happy to forward it to Midwest Gun Works subject to my approval since Midwest is apparently an authorized repair location.

My presumption was that Browning would stand behind their products - especially one that was hereto unfired. A now obvious mistake. The repair cost is, at this point, undetermined. So much for customer service and standing behind their product.

Hopefully this problem is minor - someone has suggested a 'timing issue" - and the repairs won't be to intricate or costly.

2. Dove Commander

Dove Commander TS Member

That gun, and it's feeding problems have been a thorn in their side. Sent mine in 3 times. The last time they did it right after a strong letter to the service supevisor.

3. gold40

gold40 Member

Midwest Gun is near the Browning facility, is an authorized repair center, and employs several former Browning repair persons. You ought to give them a call/try. I've been pleased with their work.

JERRY

4. amboy49

Brown K80.

According the email I got from "Stephanie" at Browning they no longer work on these guns and I'm on my own. Their remedy is to have the gun forwarded to Midwest Gunworks and have the repairs done at my cost. Contradictory statement than what I got from the service department when I made the initial call.

Midwest Gunworks web site indicates their repair rate is $65 per hour. I have made initial contact with them. They said they will call with an estimate before they start any work.

I also own other Brownings - all Citoris. Hope they never need repair ! I bought both of them brand new - never felt I needed to read a warranty card. I just assumed a company would stand behind the product they made and sold.

I also have the same gun in 28 guage - no feeding problems with it all. Apparently the 20 guage guns left the factory with this issue.

Guess this is my "Christmas present" from Browning.

Certainly will give me cause for thought before I purchase another Browning product.

5. Gregg535

Gregg535 Member

From what I have seen from sporting clay shooters sending in guns is that the Gold autos come back pretty quick (4 or 5 weeks) but the over/unders are often slow getting back.

6. BIGDON

BIGDON Well-Known Member

This is nothing new, Brownings rep. has been one of poor and extremely slow service for years. If you buy one of their guns you better have your own repair person if you want to keep shooting. If you send it to them plan on months not weeks and I wouldn't own one because of that. Yes I have owned several in the Past but never again.

Their are other choices.

Don

7. esetter

esetter Active Member

I just forwarded this entire thread to Sheri @ customer service for Browning. Don't know if it will help but it can't hurt. I sold the gun to Noel and feel bad that he is having this problem. Gun was unfired so there was no way to know about the feeding problem, but I like him assumed it would be taken care of by Browning.

8. Irfner

Irfner TS Member

In what year was this gun manufactured?

9. g7777777

g7777777 TS Supporters TS Supporters

Why not take it back to the gun dealer you purchased it from?

That seems to be the logical choice.

They sold it as new

regards from Iowa

Gene

10. rlh24758

rlh24758 TS Member

I have a browning modle 42 and a modle 12 20ga. Both of these gun have had the same problem, as I would shuck it the shell would come out the bottom. I took the modle 42 to a gun repair man and when I got it back it did the same thing, he told me I didn't know to shuck it, boy was I upset with that remark. Any way I started to play with them myself, and I have both of them fixed. It would be hard for me to explain it on here, so if anyone else, has this problem, just shoot me a email and I can call you and tell you how to fix it

11. Skeeix

Skeeix TS Member

I sent my Browning Gold back to them as it was having cycling problems. In about two weeks a Browning rep called and said that they could repair my gun and would it be ok if they replaced it with a new one. Of course I said yes, that would be ok with me, and about a week later UPS dropped a new gun in my driveway.

Clyde

12. amboy49

Continuing update and answers to questions or comments.

I purchased the gun from an individual after discussion on TS. This is not to defame nor discourage anyone from negotiating a sale of a gun on TS. The seller's description of the gun was 100% accurate -the gun was a new and unfired in the original box with all paperwork. I also own a 28 ga. Browning Model 12 which doesn't exhibit this problem in any way so I had no reason to suspect any problems with the 20 ga.

The seller had no idea there could or would be a problem with this gun as it was unfired.

I contacted Stephanie at Browning today after last email contact on Thursday. She indicated the gun had not yet been sent to Midwest GunWorks - but she would personally see that it was shipped today. No mention whether there will be any shipping charges at this point. I am informed that Midwest is located about 15 miles from the Browning headquarters. Seems like they could almost drive the gun(s)s over. Don't know if they have special dedicated truck they could carry them all in ? ( Sorry, couldn't resist an editorial slam. )

So, jury is still out on repairs needed, cost of same, turn around time,etc.

I asked, and was given, the name and phone number of the service department manager. I have not called him at this point. Not certain what discussion to have other than to assert my displeasure with the failure of the gun to operate and greater dissatisfaction re: their failure to correct the problem in-house. I may try to ask for compensation of repair charges from Midwest once learned. But won't expect that to go anywhere. I should reserve judgement until I at least have the conversation, I suppose.

One last thought - yes, if i took a Model A or T into a Ford dealership I bet they would try to work on it. Especially if it had 10 miles on the odometer (the equivalent of two boxes of shells through this gun) Even in today's auto environment.

Sorry for the longwinded report - next chapter will be to see what Midwest says.

Any additional thoughts or suggestions will be welcomed.

Noel Kendall

13. AAtrap

AAtrap Well-Known Member

I purchased NIB 20ga. several yrs. ago at a gunshow. After 5yrs. decided to take it pheasant hunting. No problems functioning except as many MOD. 12's do (Win. or Browning) with slight back pressure on the forearm;the gun would not cycle until you applied forward pressure. Took it to a friend who fixed that problem. Gun has operated flawlessly since.

Please keep us posted as to the outcome.

Good luck and good shooting

Steve

14. amboy49

Thought I would post an update on the Browning Model 12 repair issue. It's been about 14 days since Browning refused the repair and at their suggestion I instructed them to send it to Midwest Gun Works.

I called Midwest prior to Christmas and they confirmed the gun had arrived at their shop. I was informed that they would analyze the problem and call me before moving forward with repairs. Estimated cost will be $200 based on 2 hours bench time @ $65 per, two boxes of shells for testing, and shipping.

To date I have not heard from them re: confirmation of the repairs needed and cost thereof.

I have not yet contacted the service manager at Browning re: their refusal to work on the gun. I'm not certain what purpose contacting him at this point will serve as I'm relatively certain they have no interest in covering the cost.

Hopefully the final chapter of this saga will occur within the next few days with the return of the gun.

15. esetter

esetter Active Member

I'm the seller of the Browning Model 12 and I just heard from Noel about the Model 12. He just received the gun from Midwest and they charged him $188 for the repair which I'm sure was a timing issue. I'm still totally shocked that Browning did not warranty an unfired gun which obviously had an issue when it left the factory and was sold. I would be very careful in the future expecting Browning to stand behind their guns. This is the second time I've had an issue with a new gun and the first time was even worse than this. It took them two years and four trips back to the factory and still it was not repaired correctly. I ended up sending the gun to a gunsmith who fixed the problem and had it back to me in one month for a very nominal charge. I've been a Browning collector for over 40 years and after this terrible customer service I'm done with them. I called Browning about Noel's gun and sent them an email and never received a reply. I'm sure there are stories about every gun company but I've been burned twice by them and they won't get me again. I'm now a Beretta man!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.