1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Serial numbers

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Dec 27, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Apr 10, 2007
    MIA, as you know from my recent thread, I an a bit dubious about the Browning chart that you refer to: My gun has a serial number of 81XXX, which would place it in the middle of the 1960 production run, but it also has a "S7" designation, which apparently designates it as a 12 gauge 1967 gun. Also, like the 1967 guns, mine has the "U" inletting and the short tang typical of that era. So, why is the serial number indicative of a 1960 production date?

2. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

Jan 29, 1998
    Rob, The serial number that appears on your gun is 81xxx S7. The previous serial number 81xxx was in a different series of numbers and is separate and distinct from the one ending in S7.

Quoting from the book "Browing Dates of Manufacture"

"On January 1, 1963 the 12 gauge started with serial number 6556S3, to designate the year of production. The "3" indicates the date (1963) and the serial number at the beginning of 1963 is 6556."
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning serial number ending s7