1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

BROWNING SALT WOOD

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by Terminator, Jun 19, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

Does any one know what years Browning had problems with their wood? What year was serial no 49648s6 made ? Thank you.

2. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

Assuming you have a superposed, 1956....

3. Jawhawker

Jawhawker TS Member

Wasn't that 66?

4. Piper Mac

Piper Mac Member

I may have read the chart wrong, but looking up his serial number, I think it was 1956. 1966 seems about right for the salt wood problem, but was not sure of the dates they had that problem

5. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

To determine if a Superposed has salt damage, examine carefully any gun where the serial number is within the 1966-1971 production range (please refer to the Browning Superposed serialization section), and carefully inspect the wood around the buttplate, forearm, and where the wood joins the receiver metal for any telltale rusting or pitting.

SOURCE: http://whatsitworthtoyou.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=appraisal.certificate&item_ID=148729

Berettaman7

6. Voolfie

Voolfie Member

The "Salt Wood" issue (for shotguns) dates from about 1966. As I understand it, the problems were most severe 1968-1972. By '73 Browning changed their wood curing process. If you buy a browning gun and it turns out to have original salt wood, there's a good chance that Browning will still replace the wood - even thirty years later - since that falls under the category of "manufacturer's defect" against which Belgian Brownings were/are warranted for life. However, any potentially affected Superposed B25 which hasn't, by now, shown any symptoms - is probably fine...check this out: http://forums.gunbroker.com/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=119457

7. Steve W

Steve W Well-Known Member

Your ser.# is 1966. That's the first year salt wood problems began to emerge.

Your gun has long tang or short tang?

8. Terminator

Terminator TS Member

This is a 2 barrel set with long tang in near new condition that Im thinking of buying.

9. berettaman7

berettaman7 TS Member

Most experts have never seen a long tang salt gun, and therefore believe that almost 100% of the salt guns had short tang.

Berettaman7

10. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Here is a very good video about salt wood. Go to the bottom of the page & click on videos. Also if you click on articles he has a very good write-up about salt wood.

i_shoot

11. Bridger

Bridger Member

That was a very interesting video. thanks for the link. I can only imagine what it cost to bring that 28 gauge back and that apparently wasn't even a bad one.

12. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

As a former employee and collector of Brownings, the salt guns got me out of the Browning collecting.

I enjoy the newest "X" series of Japanese shotguns, but just to shoot.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
1966 browning superposed serial number salt start

browning salt gun serial numbers

browning salt wood
browning salt wood issue

browning salt wood serial numbers

browning superposed salt wood
browning superposed salt wood serial numbers
what years were the browning salt wood rifles