1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning "salt wood stocks"

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by 50-140, Nov 24, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 50-140

50-140 TS Member

Browning

What does this mean? Is there a problem with these stocks, and how would you know if you had one?

2. HSLDS

HSLDS Well-Known Member

Browning

The wood was treated with salt (NaCl), which, overtime with exposure to moisture started to invade the metal of the receiver. Finishes were raised, steel rusted and pitted, etc.

Check out the web site listed above - at the bottom is a link to 'salt wood Brownings' - lots of good info.

Art will know if your gun is one (by serial number).

3. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Browning

does the salt come from the trip over the sea on the ship? Any info will help.

4. napawino

napawino TS Supporters TS Supporters

Browning

I believe it was the people tht furnished Browning with stock blanks that used the salt and not Browning. There was such a demand for good walnut and it takes time to properly dry wwalnut for gun stocks. The people that furnished the stock blanks came up with the process to use salt to remove the moisture from the wood at a faster rate.
    Fred Wiedemann

5. trapshootingfran

trapshootingfran TS Member

Browning

Colonel and Napawino, thanks for the info now I know what to look for.
    FRAN

6. 50-140

50-140 TS Member

Browning

Thanks for the GREAT article on this issue.

7. BT-100dc

BT-100dc Active Member

Browning

Salt wood, unfortunately was used on the Superpose O/U Shotgun during the late 60's thru early 70's. I believe it was hit or miss as not every shotgun had salt wood; I had a friend that had one with salt wood and another who did not. Both were made in the same year by FN of Belgium. Look closely at the wood to metal; e.g., the inletting the stock to the receiver for pitting. Another way, I understand, is removing the original recoil pad and check for rusted screws. I've been told that Browning made it right with the owners. Contact Browning and they should be able to determine if the gun has salt wood. These were not made by Meriku in Japan. Darrell

8. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

Browning

Read the article from Arts gun shop . The link is on MIA's post. The final word. Jeff

9. amazo

amazo TS Member

Browning

I sent my Browning Broadway back with salt wood. Browning said it was salt wood and would warranty the wood and reciever metal. To make a long story short, after they had the gun 19 months, they discovered an oversized chamber and would only do the warranty work if I paid them $2200.00 to replace the barrels. I told them to return my gun and many 100's of rounds have been fired through that "bad" chamber. An easy way to get out of doing the warranty work.

A disappointed Browning owner in Ky.

10. spitter

spitter Well-Known Member TS Supporters

Browning

Typically S7 and later guns, and those with higher grade woods, not so much in the Grade 1 if I recollect the information from the "Superposed".

Jay

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
replacing browning salt wood stocks
belgium browning salt stock

browning salt wood

browning salt wood stocks
replacing browning salt wood stocks
salt stock browning fn removal
seal browning salt wood stocks

what years were the browning salt wood rifles