1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

browning salt wood gun=good price?

Discussion in 'Uncategorized Threads' started by skeet_man, Mar 1, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Would a gun in the salt wood year range command a signifigantly lower price? I'm thinking of a trap gun project for next winter. I'd like to get a Browning Superposed trap gun w/ 32" barrels. I'm going to need to put a Wenig New American LH stock on it anyways, so if I could save a signifigant amount by buying a salt wood gun, all the better. Any thoughts on this project? it'll be at least october til I make any strides twd this project.

2. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

also, the one thing I do know is i DON'T want the broadway rib, i much prefer the std narrow rib. I would like to go w/ 32" barrels if I can find them though

3. jeffro

jeffro TS Member

Skeet Man:

Even if the salt has not eroded the barrels and rib under the forearm, or the inside and back edges of the receiver, a salt gun will still only command about 60% of the price of a similarly-conditioned non-salt gun. If there is some erosion, the price goes down from there. Regardless of what you may hear, there is NO WAY to remedy a salt problem without replacing the stock in its entirety, and if metal erosion has started, having the affected metal areas stripped, polished and re-finished. Anyone who tells you the inside of the stock can be "sealed" with laquer or varnish to stop the problem is either lying or inexperienced. All of this having been said, if you know what you're doing and you're patient, you can make some great buys on salt wood guns in the higher grades. I recommend Art's and Show-Me Gunstocks for the repair and replacement work. Unfortunately, restocking and (if necessary) refinishing metal on any grade lower than Pigeon is probably going to be a losing proposition. Figure two grand at a minimum for the stock work and $300 at a minimum for the metal refinishing, and you can see why a field grade gun, even if brought back to new condition, is not an economical proposition. If you happen to have the ability to do the work yourself, that's a different proposition. Hope this helps.

4. Mike Battista

Mike Battista Well-Known Member Supporting Vendor

Have this one on web site but it has the wide rib but they are 32", $1100.00.
    Mike Battista

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning superposed salt wood value