1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Salt Stocks

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by WNCRob, Dec 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

I recently pulled my dad's old 1960 vintage Browning Superposed out of the closet (where its been for 30 years)and began going over it. It appears to have a salt stock issue, with some corrosion where the stock mates with the receiver, badly corroded buttplate screws, etc. Otherwise, on the exterior surfaces, it is in very nice condition for a 45 year old gun, as are the bores, trigger group, ejectors, etc.(all mechanicals appear to be fine, just needs a good going over).

Question: is there a "best practice" when it comes to cleaning and inhibiting further erosion in the eroded areas? I know there are marine rust inhibitors, but that may be too industrial. A friend has suggested coating the areas with clear nail polish. I'd think there is something that chemically inhibits further corrosion. Also, I intend to replace the stock.

Many thanks in advance for everyones suggestions and advice.

WNCRob

2. hmb

hmb Well-Known Member

I believe step one is to replace the wood. HMB

3. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

Double Auto, many thanks for this info. As my father died in 1976, we'll never find any paperwork. Never the less, I'll contact Browning to see what they suggest. If they don't make a meaningful offer, I intend to make the repairs myself, as I don't think this gun is a full restoration candidate, but can be a very serviceable gun with reasonable care and repair...the stock may be a different issue though. I hope there are "factory" stocks that are available that can be fitted with minor inletting work.

WNCRob

4. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is the link to the video that Double Auto mentioned. I found it very informative and don't own any Browning shotguns. Bill Malcolm

5. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

MIA, I don't believe my father ever replaced this stock, but it has what I suspect are the classic salt stock issues...corroded, almost dissolved buttplate screws, corrosion on the receiver where it mates with the stock, etc. I do remember that he got it quite wet one time when duckhunting in a saltwater blind...perhaps that is the issue here and I can keep the stock...probably should have it tested. I wonder if there is an "at-home" test.

WNCRob

6. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

What does "S 7" after the serial number indicate?

Thanks

WNCRob

7. ou.3200

ou.3200 Well-Known Member

That is the model "Superposed" and year of manufacture "67" I think.

8. CWW

CWW TS Member

Arts Gun shop sells a test solution you can use to test the stock to see if it is saltwood. My Safari rifle tested positive but I decided to keep the stock since the wood is outstanding figure. I sealed all the parts of the stock that contact steel with 3 coats of Minwax Poly. It's worked for me.

9. WNCRob

WNCRob Member

MIA, thanks for the info. While the serial number (#81XXX) places this as a 1960 gun by the chart on the Browning web site, I suspect that the "S7" marking is the more telling bit of information. As this isn't a gun that I'll actually shoot, I don't want to spend too much on it. I've gone through the gun mechanically and its quite sound...its a suprisingly simple gun to work on,typical John Browning genius. I'll call Art and see what my options are.

Thanks to everyone for all of the info.

WNCRob

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

browning salt stock

browning superposed salt stocks