1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning salt stocks???

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by bowhunting11, Jun 6, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

From what I understand browning had a problem awhile back with "salted stocks"
    What does that mean? And what are some advantages and disadvantages if this.
    I know nothing on this topic so help me iut. Also I bought a citori plus from the 90.s would that be salted?

2. Shooting Coach

Shooting Coach Well-Known Member

Don't worry about your Citori.

From around 1967-1973 or so, give or take. Expensive lesson for Browning, buyer beware.

Wood was cured in salt to hurry up drying time. Not a good idea, to put salt against metal. RUSTY!

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

NO ADVANTAGE WHATSOEVER!

4. OldGoat

OldGoat Well-Known Member

Check out (copy & paste):

http://www.artsgunshop.com/

You will learn all you need to know about the troubles with Browning salt shotguns and rifles. Regards, Ed

5. i_shoot

i_shoot Member

Check this link with video to explain what you're talking about.

i_shoot

6. MR870

MR870 Member

I saved a friend one time alot of money on a Winchester rifle that was supposedly a Pre 64 a shady dealer tried to sell him.I asked the dealer to show me the underside of the gun before the sale.The gun would not seperate from the wood.I just wanted to have fun with the dealer because the rifle didn't have the claw extractor.It was Pre 64 take off(salt wood)on a modern rifle.The look on the shady dealer was priceless.

7. dls guide

dls guide Member

When did Winchesters ever use salt wood on their guns? To my knowledge Only Browning, which was FN at that time cured wood in salt 1967 to 1970. I have never heard of a Winchester Post or pre 64 with a salt wood problem. Daryl.

8. JohnBT

JohnBT TS Member

I have heard Winchester mentioned over the years. Post #6 in this thread

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?p=4017268

mentions "...Bishop, Fajen, Winchester, Ruger and to the US Military for M-14 stocks."

9. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

I have never heard of Win ever having salt wood. It was only Browning that had salt wood. It was on the years stated above. Mostly on Superposed shotguns and small cal rifles. Not a pretty site on such fine guns. Browning did fix the guns for a while but later said they will stop doing so for free ad now you have to pay to have the gun fixed.

10. dls guide

dls guide Member

I don't think Winchester has ever had a salt wood issue. I have been collecting Winchesters for about 20 yrs. and have never heard or seen of one, old or new with a salt problem. That would include hundreds of dealers that I have talked to about buying and selling Winchesters. I have friends that have been buying and selling mod. 88's, mod70's, mod 12's, and all the others for 30 yrs. and have never heard of salt wood in Winchesters. I love the Browning Safari's and own a few. Now you better know what you are doing when buying any of the Brownings between 1967 and 1970.

11. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

can anyone show me a picture of a salted stock?? i still dont see whats so bad.. sorry for my lack of knowledge! trying to learn something new everyday!

12. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Salt wood stock will look exactly the same as a non-salt wood stock. The problem is that the salt attacks the metal (receiver, forend iron, barrels, trigger parts) and eats away at it. Basically the same thing that would happen if you dunked your gun in salt water, but at a slower rate.

13. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Here is a picture from Art's web site showing the damage that the salt wood causes. The salt was used to cure the stocks faster. See Art's web site. Bill Malcolm

14. bigbore613

bigbore613 Active Member

The suppliers of the salt wood sold not only to Browning but Winchester and Weatherby. Blanks were sold through the mid 70"s and show up when you least expect it as they sometimes sat for years. Jeff. BE CAREFUL !

15. bowhunting11

bowhunting11 TS Member

Holy cow!

16. grntitan

grntitan Well-Known Member

So what was the fix? I assume replacing the stock and rebluing all the metal?

17. skeet_man

skeet_man Well-Known Member

Pretty much. You can watch art snap the sideplates off of a pigeon grade 28ga stock if you watch the video, so it didn't get reused. I knew it was coming when I wanted the video, but it still made me a little sad to watch him do it.

18. Auctioneer

Auctioneer Well-Known Member

Salted stock wood is wood that has salt used to cure it. You can't see the salt but you can see the results of it on the metal as shown above.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page

1967 salt gun

browning salt stock

browning salt wood issue

browning salt wood problem

what year brownings uaed salt wood