1. Attention: We have put together a thread with tips and a tutorial video to help with using the new software. Please take a moment to check out the thread here: Trapshooters.com Tutorial & Help Video.
    Dismiss Notice

Browning Salt guns

Discussion in 'Shooting Related Threads' started by EuroJoe, Feb 9, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

I've seen a video about a salt gun restorer, but I forgot who. anyone got info??

2. DoubleAuto

DoubleAuto Well-Known Member

Art's Gun & Sport, Inc., Hillsboro, Missouri (Art Issacson). First job at Browning Repair Center was working on saltwood guns. Worked for Browning for 30 years. Opened his own shop on retirement. One of the best Browning gunsmiths in the country. Known as the gunsmith to send Superposed to for work/restoration.

DoubleAuto

3. EuroJoe

EuroJoe TS Supporters TS Supporters

Thanks,DA that's what I was looking for!

4. whopper1

whopper1 Member

What exactly is the effect of the salt? I purchased a BT99 that I believe the stock had never been removed. When I took it off, everything was covered with a brown substance that appeared to be like rust. I took it apart and cleaned everything and nothing was pitted from rust-if thats what it was. Is this a salt gun? It is probably from the early 70's.

Dave

5. Beretta687EELL

Beretta687EELL Well-Known Member

Dave, Here is a link to Art's web site where the videos are on this subject. I've never heard of a BT-99 being involved in the salt wood issue. Bill Malcolm

6. hullbully

hullbully TS Member

The Superposed stocks were cured in a salt solution during the mid to late 60s, only on these Belgian guns that I ever heard of. I had a Broadway Trap from 69 that was a beautiful gun with the light French walnut stock with good wood. There was just a small border aroung all metal mostly around the reciever that was stained kind of an orange color maybe 1/8th inch all around. Many people would not really notice as it is not a huge jump out at ya, but it was there. I have a different Broadway now from the same era and it is not a salt gun.

7. RunGunIPSC

RunGunIPSC TS Member

I have seen that dust also on Browning guns. It is walnut wood-dust. Looks bad but as long as no rust/pitting you are safe.

8. whopper1

whopper1 Member

Thanks guys-I dont know that you could call this dust, or even oil soaked dust. It looks more like staining of all metal components as described above. Not only did the BT99 that I bought have this, A friend purchased one about a month ago that appears about the same time frame of Mfg. and when I removed the stock from it, it looked exactly the same. As I stated, it cleans up with some effort and nothing is pitted.

Dave

9. whopper1

whopper1 Member

The only thing that I think it could possibly be then is some sort of lubricant that Browning used and has oxidized over time.

Dave

10. SirMissalott

SirMissalott Active Member

Ditto to Whopper1 I did the same thing scared to poop out of me, however I,m told if you don't do it once a year or so you should be.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Search tags for this page
browning bt-99 salt wood
browning salt stock

browning salt wood repair

browning shotgun salt rust

browning shotgun salt wood
browning superposed salt gun for sale

salt guns

salt pistol